Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go if you had a time machine?

• 24-09-2010 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

So, assuming you had a time machine, and ignoring the paradoxes that are inherent in time travel, where and when would you go?

Personally, I'd travel back and meet Marilyn Monroe in her prime, then give her the ride of her life.

I'd also try to stop Dimebag getting shot, and then I'd look up Mark Chapman and convince him Yoko Ono was also a "phoney".

Edited, added "when"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Sorry is this a thread or a pitch for some new Sci-Fi tv show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I suffer with enough deja vu reading boards without entering a time machine. As someone said in a recent thread, I'd go back to just before a lottery draw that wasn't won and have the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Is this a time machine or a space and time machine? Surely the question should be "when would you go?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So, assuming you had a time machine, and ignoring the paradoxes that are inherent in time travel, where would you go?

Personally, I'd travel back and meet Marilyn Monroe in her prime, then give her the ride of her life.

I'd also try to stop Dimebag getting shot, and then I'd look up Mark Chapman and convince him Yoko Ono was also a "phoney".

Its a time machine. I wouldn't go anywhere. I might go to a different time.

On your way back to ride Marilyn, could you stop off five minutes ago and change the thread title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

dvpower wrote: »
    Its a time machine. I wouldn't go anywhere. I might go to a different time.

On your way back to ride Marilyn, could you stop off five minutes ago and change the thread title?

This is one of those time machines that leave you in a different location as well as a different time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm actually back from the future. Came back to work in an office with a hangover. Not as much fun as I thought it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Id go back to the mid nineties and outlaw all internet pendantry

bonerm wrote: »
    This is one of those time machines that leave you in a different location as well as a different time.

Fair enough. Otherwise there would be a massive design flaw, what with the earth turning on its axis and hurtling around the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd probably go down the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd go back to 2 mins ago before I opened this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Back to the dinosaurs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

anytime up to about 20 years into the future (like biff) and get me an almanac...

2 reasons:

1, i like to gamble
    2, i love money

i suppose it wouldn't really be 'gambling' then?

ok, 2 reasons:

1, i love money
    2, i love money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'd travel back to last week with the lotto numbers and win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I'd go to the year 3000 and see if they live underwater and if your great great great grand daughter is really fine or if it's just a rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'd go to Barbados.

Yesterday.

To escape the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I'd go back 3 days and make a thread in the angling forum to see if there should be any fish in the damn mountain lakes, at least then I would know if it was me or the fish at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

The time 1976/78

The place Salisbury, Rhodesia.

Best weather, best beef, best beer, Lion lager now gone.

great crack, lads home from the bush every Fri Night for R+R

good job, and 6 weeks in 12 in the bush, with great mates and an FN Rifle, flenty of action. Stepping out of a plane at 500ft, straight into a fight.

Welcoming birds, all blonde, tanned and fit.

You kids have not lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I would go to 15 seconds ago and not have opened this thread.

martinn123 wrote: »
    The time 1976/78

The place Salisbury, Rhodesia.

Best weather, best beef, best beer, Lion lager now gone.

great crack, lads home from the bush every Fri Night for R+R

good job, and 6 weeks in 12 in the bush, with great mates and an FN Rifle, flenty of action. Stepping out of a plane at 500ft, straight into a fight.

Welcoming birds, all blonde, tanned and fit.

You kids have not lived.
    But you'd still be 33 years older than you were then. The blonde, tanned and fit birds might not be so welcoming.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Back to the dinosaurs

Bring a Cadillac with you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Back to 1984 and find Sarah Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd like to go to the future!

the past doesn't really hold much interest to me, I prefer to look forward than look back, so I'd love to see what the future is like, see how society has progressed, what advancements we've made. see if we've solved the third world problems, see what kind of medical advances we've got, how long people live for and if we've cured aids or cancer, see if religion still has a stranglehold on so many people. what will mobile phones be like in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

1955 and 1985 of course :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

dvpower wrote: »
    But you'd still be 33 years older than you were then. The blonde, tanned and fit birds might not be so welcoming.:mad:

True.......maybe we can change the dynamics of the time machine to reverse the ageing process :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

A million years from now.

Advertisement