Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satin Ribbon and Brooch Bouquets

• 20-10-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I was wondering does anyone here have any experience in making Satin Ribbon and Brooch Bouquets?

I'd like a Satin ribbon and brooch bouquet for my big day and I visited a stall yesterday at a Vintage wedding fair in Cork but the prices were extortionate.

I started making little satin roses last night but they'll only do for smaller bouquets like the flower girls etc because the ribbon I was using wasn't very wide so they are small flowers.

I have a hot glue gun and I'm buying larger width satin ribbon to make bigger roses and then i'll get the dowel, polystyrene foam for the shape aswell. I figure that it will cost me about €40 a bouquet but I could be underestimating.

I was just wondering has anyone else gone down this route and how long did it take you to make them? Is there anything you'd have done differently and is there anywhere in particular in Ireland you found good for wholesale supplies etc?

Just incase anyone is wondering what they are, here's a picture:

il_570xN.414945700_5zxf.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

The flowers can be bought online I'm sure. Would imagine it be easy to assemble from there. I made my button bouquet and bead bouquets for BMs. If you need any tips, just PM or if you want pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello Broken Strings Id say twas the same stall or crowd I say at the Equality wedding fair.. Lovely alright but mad prices..

I don't have any experience in making then but Mum is a florist so I know where to get a few bits and bobs.. Cork Central Floral supplies http://www.centralfloralsupplies.com/store/ is very good and they have lots, they are up by Musgraves.

Or there is another place in Limerick Fitzgerald Flowers you do not have to go into Limerick itself it is just on the outskirts, they have some very well priced pieces there. They do everything from Floral Supplies to Jewellery - kids party supplies...

Keep an eye on Dealz also for things like the brooches and for the ribbon you might get it cheaper in there.

The most I would think is the time and effort you put into making the bouquets, that is why they charge so much...

Yeah they take forever, but once you get into the swing of it, it's not so bad.
    I would imagine buying the satin flowers pre-made would cut the time down a lot. They also have foam flowers online that look really well. Some of them can be bought stemmed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

I didn't know what a brooch bouquet was until recently. Why choose one over flowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

fits wrote: »
    I didn't know what a brooch bouquet was until recently. Why choose one over flowers?

I want a keepsake which I can hold onto and maybe pass it down to my little girl if I have one a few years down the line!

She mightn't want to use it on her big day but it could still be her something old :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

fits wrote: »

I chose one because I don't particularly like flowers. I get really bad allergies so would probably have spent most of the day sneezing!

I got mine through Best of Buds and I really can't say enough good things about them. I got two bridesmaids one which were €120 each and mine was around €300. Mine was just brooches but the bridesmaids' had roses and brooches and were just gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I just came across this website http://thepaperstraw.com/ it might be of some use, go to the shop and they sell embellishments they might be handy

The reason I chose the button bouquet over flowers was because it was so much more personal than flowers that would be dead in days. I had a button from each of our family members including both fathers who had passed away, one from each BM, one from my granny and my mam's wedding dress and one from OH's shirt from the night we met. I also wired in my dad's wedding ring for the day of the wedding.
    I will always have it and will be able to tell the story of the pieces to kids (hopefully) when they come along.

We had no fresh flowers at our wedding bar the few the hotel provided.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i made my own button bouquet, button boutonnieres and button centre pieces

Hey guys, thought i'd update and show you how the finished product ended up :) Very happy with it!

LdknXgy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Well done. You can be very proud of that on your big day.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Wow that's awesome!! Did it take you long to finish it?

Toots wrote: »
    Wow that's awesome!! Did it take you long to finish it?

A week in total and I spent 2 hours a day on it. Actually putting the bouquet together only took about 30 minutes but making the flowers and wiring the pearl beads to act as stalks to stick the flowers into the polystyrene is what took the longest! All the blingy bits are just fancy hairclips where I cut the faces off the clip section and wired just like the beads. Project cost about €40 and the cost price that I was quoted for a similar bouquet at the wedding fair was €360. Just goes to show these things can totally be replicated on a much smaller budget!

Just a breakdown aswell incase anyone is considering this type of project:

Wooden dowel handle: €1.50
    1.5mtr length cut into 8 inch sections and grouped as three pieces to make a thick handle -Vibes and Scribes Cork

Glue Sticks: €2.99 for 12.

6 inch Polystyrene ball: €1.50 - Vibes and Scribes Cork

Faux Pearl beads: €3.00 in Penneys for a few bracelets which I cut up to use. Got about 80 beads out of them

Hair Clips to act as brooches and blingy bits: €17 in Dealz. Cut the faces off the clips and wired through any holes

Thick jewelers beading wire to fix the pearl beads through the flowers and into the Polystyrene: €2.80 for a 10m real in Cork Craft Supplies

20m Assorted 38mm ribbon for the ribbon roses - €18 - Hickeys Cork

Lace for underneath bouquet to cover polystyrene at the base of the bouquet: 50cent in Michael Guineys for a huge lace net curtain which would probably provide lining for 50 bouquets! It was a huge curtain panel

So it was actually closer to €45 in the end. Still not bad though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33 twillerbee

Was going to ask you if you could give a pointer as to how to do it, but the breakdown of materials gave me more of an idea -you make the flowers etc and then pop them all into an oasis ball to make a bouquet? (ok not as easy as pop it together ;), but you know what I mean!)
    Looks fantastic! Well done!

Advertisement