Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair: name change issue

Options
  • 18-10-2014 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi guys,

I've already read a few posts about this on boards, but wanted to create my own thread, as my issue is slightly different, but all and all, still pretty much the same.

Basically, I've booked a trip for Germany this December (2014), and after looking at my confirmation email, I realised that I put my name down as Robbie, when on my passport, it says Robert! Robbie is the name I use more frequently now, and I have various leap cards, student id's, and letters all with the name Robbie. My passport is Robert though...

I really don't want to have to pay money to have to change my name, does anyone know if I will be still alright boarding the plane in December? I can bring my student card, leap cards, bank cards, and letters, all proving this name, as well as my passport obviously.

Any help, advice, or tips would be great,

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not really a Living Abroad issue. Moved to Travel.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Call them and they will fix it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

As far as I know there is no charge for changing a first name if it is a shortened form than what's on your passport but its €100 for a surname change. If you go on to their site and go to the manage my booking section sometimes a pop up chat box appears when you browsing and you could ask the question there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RobbieLUKE

Yeah, but what I'm afraid of, is .. Are they going to charge me?..! As mentioned, I have bank cards, and some student ids with the name robbie, do u reckon, it would be better to say nothing!?

Oh, well that makes me feel better, if its true about the first name, cause my second name is grand, it's just Robbie over Robert for my first.

Hmm, I really don't know whether to get onto them or not, cause they're essentially the same name, and as I said, I can bring other cards with the name Robbie on it!

• Advertisement

RobbieLUKE wrote: »
    Oh, well that makes me feel better, if its true about the first name, cause my second name is grand, it's just Robbie over Robert for my first.

Hmm, I really don't know whether to get onto them or not, cause they're essentially the same name, and as I said, I can bring other cards with the name Robbie on it!

No don't do that, they don't give a damn about other forms of id etc, get the proper name on your boarding card before you fly otherwise you could meet a right so and so at the gate and refuse you permission to board unless you stump up a big fee.

Oh, hmm.. I'll get onto them so, but jeez...

I really hope they don't try and get money out of me, to change the name from Robbie to Robert...3 letters ðŸ˜

No you will be fine, this happens quite regularly people putting down different abbreviations of their Christian name.

Okay, I've just gone onto Ryanair here, and selected a name change option, the name change comes up as 110 euro ?????

Seriously, that's like 3 times the price of my flight, and for 3 measly letters!!

I don't know what 2 do?

That's for a surname change honestly I have seen this happen before, they will not charge you to change an abbreviated version of your christian name. Their lines are closed now but ring them tomorrow and they will change it over the phone for you. In the meantime keep on their website and that chatbox might appear they will also be able to change it on there for you.

• Advertisement

Ah, that's certainly reassured me! Its strange though, because on their website, there's no free option of changing your first name, only the 110 euro option!

Hmm, should I email them now? Or is it best to just ring them tomorrow?

No they never put things like that on their website, that would be too easy!!!

Ring them tomorrow, they grand really on the phone, get the contact number where it cost just 10 cents a minute. it will be on their website.

I sent them an email there anyway! So if I don't hear back from them, ill give them a ring!

Thanks for your help, I really hope this gets resolved quickly, and more importantly, for free! If I have to pay 110 quid, ill definitely have to forfeit my trip!

Haha, won't be able to relax now till this gets sorted!

Thanks again for all your help !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

My wife changed her name yesterday. She booked a flight a few months ago but her new passport has a slightly different spelling. She rang up and they changed it. No questions asked.
    The change name fee is really for changing the name to something entirely different: IE giving the ticket to someone else.
    You have to ring them though.

Yeah, I sent them an email, and its automated, I don't think they get back!

I'm gonna ring them tomorrow first thing! Thanks for that anyway, definitely reassuring to hear these stories!

Gotta say though, I'm not gonna do it just in case, but i bet id be grand, if i said nothing..they prob wouldn't notice Robbie over Robert!

But, ill ring them tomorrow!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

RobbieLUKE wrote: »
    Oh, hmm.. I'll get onto them so, but jeez...

I really hope they don't try and get money out of me, to change the name from Robbie to Robert...3 letters ðŸ˜

Generally they are fine about obvious mistakes. Ring them when they open up and I'm sure they'll assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

As per the "new" ryanair they give you a 24 hour grace period to make minor changes to your booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

As people have said, this is a common issue and Ryanair have been changing the names for free for years. It took me all of 2 minutes on the phone to sort it out a few years ago.

Literally just off live chat with them off the website! They changed it for me, and said nothing about a fee! They sent me a new itinerary through email! God, feel so much better now, and can look forward to my trip in December :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement