Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Entrance to Reception

Options
  • 06-10-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Had a debate with my fiancée about this the other day:

I don't like the whole music - walk in - introduction of all the wedding party couples.

I told I would prefer that we just do it nice and simple and have the rest just seated with the rest of the guests. She wants the whole introduce everyone.

Anyone have an opinion on this or something different altogether?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I didn't think everyone was introduced! We're not doing it that way anyway, just introducing the bride and groom...

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

January wrote: »
    I didn't think everyone was introduced! We're not doing it that way anyway, just introducing the bride and groom...

Majority of the weddings around our way introduce all bridesmaids and groomsmen to music!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Personally I don't like the drawn out enterence. I'd have the bridal party sat already with the guests and just the bride and groom announced to walk (not dance) into the room.
    It's up to ye, nobody will notice that the bridal party didn't waltz in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have never seen the bridal party being introduced or welcomed by the compere, only the bride and groom, but I don't like that either. The bride and groom have usually spent the previous hour or two mingling with their guests, so I don't really get the whole "please welcome the bride and groom" thing as it usually isn't their first introduction or entrance/ exit as the "bride and groom".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have to agree have never seen it at a wedding in Ireland anywho or well ever... Normally the bride and groom get introduced and that's it.. All others and seated at the table waiting for them

• Advertisement

I'm from the occupied 6 and it happens a basically every wedding these days - it grinds my gears!

I'll be pushing the issue on my side.

In answer Ellem - I think that its not a bad thing for bride and groom to have this - its more to begin the celebration with a bit of atmosphere with the introduction of the newly married couple.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've never seen the whole wedding party being introduced. It's usually just the bride and groom, and I've never heard it done to music either.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I've only seen the whole bridal party introduced to music once and it was really cringeworthy tbh. The bridesmaids, groomsmen and then the couple danced into the room to different music and you could see they were really awkward about it. I think the bride had seen it done in the states. She'd notions in general tho! :D it was memorable but not in a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

I've seen it at most weddings!
    We did it at ours but that was because it didn't occur to us not to. We all came in to the same song with the bridal party just introduced as The Bridesmaids and The Groomsmen then The New Mr & Mrs X, and yes, it is embarrassing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Our best man just got everyone to stand and to applaud us as we walked in (tiny bit cringey, we hadnt made him do that or thought that far ahead!). He just announced us by our names too, which I was delighted with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I've never seen the whole party being introduced either... The whole entrance of the couple with music seems to have bled over from the states where it has been common for years and years for the couple's first dance to be before diner rather than at the beginning of the dancing section of the evening.

Personally I'll barely suffer through the being announced into the room - it's a bit false but at least it does kinda set up the next part of the day and it means you have a few minutes alone together before walking into dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

From memory nearly every (if not all) weddings Ive been to introduced the bridal party ie brides maids and best/grooms men and then the bride and groom, always to music. Maybe its a culchie thing.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The day is about the bride and groom.
    No idea why they introduce the bridal party tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

I think it's about a 50 / 50 split. Quite interesting to see more than a few people say they've never seen it done. As the OP said, in some places it's the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

From memory nearly every (if not all) weddings Ive been to introduced the bridal party ie brides maids and best/grooms men and then the bride and groom, always to music. Maybe its a culchie thing.

:D

Yeah, I'm a culchie and all the weddings I've been at recently are like this. Each 'couple' in the bridal party came in to different music. It's no big deal, they all enjoyed it.

It doesn't matter what every one else is doing OP. How are you and your girlfriend going to compromise on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

nosietoes wrote: »
    I've never seen the whole party being introduced either... The whole entrance of the couple with music seems to have bled over from the states where it has been common for years and years for the couple's first dance to be before diner rather than at the beginning of the dancing section of the evening.

Personally I'll barely suffer through the being announced into the room - it's a bit false but at least it does kinda set up the next part of the day and it means you have a few minutes alone together before walking into dinner.

me neither... Every wedding been to in the last 5 years just introduced the B&G, sometimes with music sometimes without but always with guest standing and applauding.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

We did the whole entrance thing, and we both said afterwards it was one of the highlights of the day! It was complete cheese, but we loved it, as did the bridal party. Our venue was particularly suited to the type of entrance we did though (3 long banquet tables). We had each pair of the bridal party go ahead first arms raised, skipping along, in through each long table to a really lively song, then we followed full of five fives, ass slaps, cheering. Loads of people commented afterwards how the energy of the entrance really set off the right tone to the evening and got everybody active and in good form. it was pure cheese, but I can't imagine any of our guests thought we were up ourselves or anything (but then we didn't invite any begrudger types).
    We also had a great DJ/ compere to introduce us and perfect music which created the atmosphere we wanted.

It's up to what you are comfortable with and enjoy yourself. We're both big fans of the cheese and not afraid to look silly, but not everyone would be like that. The big benefit or us was the energy it created which then lasted all night long!

Meathlass wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a culchie and all the weddings I've been at recently are like this. Each 'couple' in the bridal party came in to different music. It's no big deal, they all enjoyed it.

It doesn't matter what every one else is doing OP. How are you and your girlfriend going to compromise on this?

I raised it for now but the wedding is a good bit off so we will discuss later - I was hoping the fact that I'm not asking for much she might let me have this preference. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I raised it for now but the wedding is a good bit off so we will discuss later - I was hoping the fact that I'm not asking for much she might let me have this preference. lol

Well if it's important enough to you and you really don't want to do it that way make sure she knows that.

At least you have time to think of some other way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Had a debate with my fiancée about this the other day:

I don't like the whole music - walk in - introduction of all the wedding party couples.

I told I would prefer that we just do it nice and simple and have the rest just seated with the rest of the guests. She wants the whole introduce everyone.

Anyone have an opinion on this or something different altogether?

Neither of us wanted to do the whole introduction thing either so we arent!

I think its too formal - and its our friends and family, they know us! So when they call for dinner we will just come in & sit down with everyone & chat with all our guests :) Nice and relaxed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

color_girl wrote: »
    Neither of us wanted to do the whole introduction thing either so we arent!

I think its too formal - and its our friends and family, they know us! So when they call for dinner we will just come in & sit down with everyone & chat with all our guests :) Nice and relaxed!

Same as, we went and sat down for the meal when everyone else did. Didn't see the point in making a big fuss.

Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Have to consult with himself, but I wouldn't be on for it either. Seems a bit silly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I've only seen the whole bridal party introduced to music once and it was really cringeworthy tbh. The bridesmaids, groomsmen and then the couple danced into the room to different music and you could see they were really awkward about it. I think the bride had seen it done in the states. She'd notions in general tho! :D it was memorable but not in a good way

The youtube effect, soon as couple gets engaged its on to YT to see what works, but its all american stuff. A lot of those YT entertainment ideas I have never seen to be anything other than awkward over here.
    anyone thinking of doing anything youve seen on the tube, ask your providor (hotel/band/dj/photographer/videographer) do they think it will work, theyre not giving you their personal preference when they say yes or no, theyre letting you know from personal experience what works and what doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

It's hardly entertainment when they say, "please welcome your new mr and mrs X" and you walk into the room, maybe with a bit of an ar$e wiggle or something. Slightly OTT reactions to this, it's walking into your wedding reception. Also, the slight delay in you arriving in gives you and OH a valuable few minutes together alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Been part of one, it was an American wedding, same music but all the party had to dance in doing different dances, it was actually good fun and as someone said it did set the tone.

Another wedding I was at used it for their wedding party entrance and that was less effective mainly because you could see they were all awkward.

Well we've agreed groomsmen and bridesmaids are just going to be seated at same time as guests and we will just be announced into the room - just walking in no cringe dancing or anything of the like maybe just an upbeat tune to get the atmosphere going. Picking the song has been left to me so I have to get that right! :)

Ideas welcome!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah, was at a wedding recently where the whole wedding party was introduced with music in the background... the whole awkward dancing thing on the way to the top table. I even felt embarrassed for them... cringe-tacular!

We definitely won't be doing that for ours. I like the idea of the best man just introducing the bride and groom and people clapping if they wish. Nice and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

When I was last a bridesmaid this is what happened - might be a comprimise although for me it would be OTT. Anyway

The bridemaids walked in to one song - "Here come the girls" or some other similar

The groomsmen then came in to another song "Boys are back in town" or something like that

Then the bride and groom. These were the only ones introduced by the compere.

Also as there were so many bridemaids and groomsmen we were not at the top table but instead we were at a bridemaids table with our +1s and there was a groomsman table with +1s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The bridemaids walked in to one song - "Here come the girls" or some other similar

The groomsmen then came in to another song "Boys are back in town" or something like that

This is something I desperately hope is a fad that will die out asap.

Advertisement