Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Why do so many people do English in Arts? Are all the people who do it really into the "multi-dimensional literary framework of Heart of Darkness" and other such things? Or do they merely choose it because it was a compulsory subject back in LC and thus must be mainstream enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

turgon wrote: »
    Why do so many people do English in Arts? Are all the people who do it really into the "multi-dimensional literary framework of Heart of Darkness" and other such things? Or do they merely choose it because it was a compulsory subject back in LC and thus must be mainstream enough??

Some people just really like reading. What can ya do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The English department are supposedly the least friendliest of any of the Arts faculties. Is this true?

Skapoot wrote: »
    Some people just really like reading. What can ya do!

I seriously doubt that at least a sizable proportion of those who take English actually like reading. Being perfectly honest, very few people are interested in English literature. Certainly not the amount of people who take it in college.

"Sure I did that in school, thats got to be easy"

It frustrates me because Ive a friend whos genuinely interested in English lit, history and Geography but can only pick 2 of those 3 because they are so popular. But I would be willing to bet my house on the fact he is more interested in English than the majority of those who do it in college, even though he wont end up doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

grenache wrote: »
    The English department are supposedly the least friendliest of any of the Arts faculties. Is this true?

The lectureres are generally fine, but jebus those wans in the office. Excuse me for interupting your ****ing chat, yes it must really mess up your day to have to get up off your arse and walk aaaall the way over here to take my essay off me. And all that arduous business with the stapler and gesturing grumpily towards the pen. And your little heart must just sink when you get back from your two and a half hour lunch break and there's a queue of four or five students waiting for you (coz lets be honest, who could blame you if that lunch break sometimes edges towards the three hour mark, you've spent all morning sitting and chatting and scowling, hungry work), who are all going to want you to do stuff that you're BLOODY WELL PAID TO DO. Some of them are okay but there's a couple of seriously grumpy bints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

The lectureres are generally fine, but jebus those wans in the office. Excuse me for interupting your ****ing chat, yes it must really mess up your day to have to get up off your arse and walk aaaall the way over here to take my essay off me. And all that arduous business with the stapler and gesturing grumpily towards the pen. And your little heart must just sink when you get back from your two and a half hour lunch break and there's a queue of four or five students waiting for you (coz lets be honest, who could blame you if that lunch break sometimes edges towards the three hour mark, you've spent all morning sitting and chatting and scowling, hungry work), who are all going to want you to do stuff that you're BLOODY WELL PAID TO DO. Some of them are okay but there's a couple of seriously grumpy bints.

plus fúcking 1 for most of the Arts departments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

grenache wrote: »

Most lecturers were okay and a couple of tutors I met were very nice.

Only had one or two meetings with the English Dept. and they were grand.

Guess it's a case of 'wrong place, wrong time' sometimes.

Well see my other subject is history of art and there's just one secretary and she's lovely, full of chat and very helpful. The lecturing staff there are great too, it's such a small department that there's a lot of contact. Sometimes too much, they don't take attendance but they notice when people are missing :eek: magical people altogether

I actually found the Politics department & the French department great to deal with.

I actually found the Politics department & the French department great to deal with.

But you're clearly a model student.....

I was agreeing with EB, in that a number of the older ladies working in the departments can be a little less than curteous at times.. i wasn't refering to the ddepartments as a whole.

• Advertisement

But you're clearly a model student.....

Oh wow, you're a physic! ffs. :rolleyes:
    I was agreeing with EB, in that a number of the older ladies working in the departments can be a little less than curteous at times..

Of course.

But...
    i wasn't refering to the ddepartments as a whole

Just curious is all.

Oh wow, you're a physic! ffs. :rolleyes:

Rolleyes tends not to lead anywhere good bud. (That sounds distressingly like a threat but it's not) try this dude :pac: instead

You will find that +1 is generally accepted as the way of saying you agree with the OP. Re-read her post.

Rolleyes tends not to lead anywhere good bud. (That's a threat ) try this dude :pac: instead

;) :P

How big is the demand for Psychology? And History?.. Im trying to figure out which to put 1st and 2nd out of Psychology History and English in order to get onto them.

I'd strongly advise putting English first, the demand for it is unreal. This year there were so many first years that some lectures had to be done on podcast because the lecture halls (which hold c. 400 people) weren't big enough. I've no idea about psychology or history though

Rolleyes tends not to lead anywhere good bud. (That sounds distressingly like a threat but it's not) try this dude :pac: instead

Not intending to go anywhere at all against itsallabouttheL...seriously. So therefore - :pac:

All's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'd guess that the demand for History and English would be the highest, so those two first really.

Skapoot wrote: »
    How big is the demand for Psychology? And History?.. Im trying to figure out which to put 1st and 2nd out of Psychology History and English in order to get onto them.

Definately put English down No. 1. As Electro said, the demand is insane.

They've to split the class in half. One class goes to the lecture, the other gets the podcast of the lecture. Then the next class it switches around or the next week, afaik.

History has a fairly big class it's on in Boole 4 (app. 400), I put it down as No. 1 and got it grand. If you put it down as 2 you should be fairly safe.

Not sure of Psychology tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

i just finished first arts and last year i put down English no. 1, History No. 2 and psychology no. 3 and i got all of them didnt get my fourth choice geography (which i wasnt too bothered about) because it was filled with people who had it down as a first or second choice. I do remember sitting in a lecture though and some lady mentioning that english, history psychology and geography were completely full and not allowing any transfers. i guess this gives a pretty clear answer as to what subjects are the most popular.. well last year anyways!

bottom line, if you want english and history you HAVE to put them one and two because they are hugely popular and any lower down the list and i seriously doubt you will get a place in either.

p.s. DO NOT PUT DOWN SOCIOLOGY, MY GOD YOU WILL SHOOT YOURSELF WITH BOREDOM!!!!!!

on another topic, the english department are lets just say not toppinf the list of the most approachable department.. polar opposite with history and psychology to the best of my knowledge. lovely people!!!!!! and dont even get me started on the sociology department........:cool:

any other arts 2009 gang want info just drop me a line!:D

• Advertisement

Do do all ye who did English actually read literature in your spare time? Why did ye pick it?

Do do all ye who did English actually read literature in your spare time? Why did ye pick it?

Some of it, bit of a wikipedia job on some sections though if I'm honest

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Why did ye pick it?

simple answer really.. because i wanted to study english. nothing sinister.:D ha ha!

But would I be right in my conviction that many of those who take English arent really into English literature/poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

But would I be right in my conviction that many of those who take English arent really into English literature/poetry?

Obviously alot of them will be mad into it and will have read 100s of classics. But there will always be others especially in first year.

Lots of people, I imagine, enjoyed writing essays or whatever for the LC but have yet to read much more than horrid henry, captain* underpants and whatever novels they did in school. Now they will be able to give reading a shot for a year and see if they enjoy it.

People choose 4 subjects after all and once theyve picked their fav 2/3 subjects (history geography etc)they may have the to try something new. English seems like a good(safe??) choice because even if they don't like it...at least it doesnt seem as risky as learning a brand new language or taking philosophy could be.

Don't really know if i was answering any question or commenting on turgons or anyones opinion. Never post like that :eek:
    *may not be his correct title

I heard stories yesterday of a girl skipping poetry lectures because she didnt agree with what they were learning :mad:

I think the "safe" thing orangetictac mentioned is it. I just wonder what proportion of people are doing it just for this? Am I right in thinking its over half?

Like, how many people could I really start discussing WB Yeats with who were actually into it? :)

This seems to be turning into a "rant against english students" thread:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Like, how many people could I really start discussing WB Yeats with who were actually into it? :)[/quote]

My experience at UCC and elsewhere leads me to say very few. I recall my attendance at Literary Society meetings where the criterion for joining seems to have been a total ignorance of major works.

After all, it's not very "cool" to have read literary masterpieces, but we knew that at Junior Cert. level, didn't we?

As for studying English at UCC, I would certainly encourage anyone who has a passion for the subject to consider it. The range of options on offer, coupled with the credentials of the academic staff (both personal and professional) lead to a very rewarding experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

WB Yeats, eh? Granted I only did him for my Leaving Cert but from what I read about him he seemed like a very unpleasant person and his "poetry" was pretentious rubbish that, compared to some of the other poets on our course (the excellent Eliot and Plath in particular), was really not worth my time and effort to read.

And I'm not even an English student! :pac:

Seriously though, I don't think it really matters what motivates them to do English. The fact that they choose it shows that they have at least some modicum of interest.
    I do Physics but I really couldn't care les about classical mechanics - it bores the arse of me. Whereas quantum mechanics and thermodynamics I find fascinating.

You don't have to like every aspect of a subject to enjoy studying it: if an English student loves creative writing and is very good at it, it doesn't matter that they might hate stuying complicated poetic techniques and meters and stuff.

*shrug*
    Just my opinion.

• Advertisement

This is the second or third time I've seen this question asked around the UCC forum, mad to know? :)

My reason's are fairly similar to other people's ones here.
    simple answer really.. because i wanted to study english. nothing sinister.:D ha ha!

+1 on this. I just wanted to study it. When I seen the all-round element of the course, it looked like each area could be enjoyable to study. I liked the amount of aspects within the course such as Poetry, Drama, Film, Language etc. In retrospective, some parts were dreadfully boring, others not...In my opinion.
    People choose 4 subjects after all and once theyve picked their fav 2/3 subjects (history geography etc)they may have the to try something new. English seems like a good(safe??) choice because even if they don't like it...at least it doesnt seem as risky as learning a brand new language or taking philosophy could be.

Same on this. It was a safe option for me. Once I got my Greek/Roman civilisation & History and wanted to pick a couple more relatively 'safe' options. Despite this I really did like English in Leaving Cert and I wanted to continue with it 'to give it a go'. I also fancy a challenge sometimes too, so that made the decision to pick English too. Also, knowing I could drop a subject when done with 1st year made English 'disposable' after I was done a year of it, therefore moving on to whatever lay ahead in 2nd year.
    captain* underpants *may not be his correct title

You're correct sir/madam!

Advertisement