Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop advice solicited

Options
  • 17-11-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello, dear laptop-enthusiasts.

Your assistance would be much-appreciated. I need to buy a laptop. Solid advice requested, with a (possible, admittedly unlikely) reward for any information which leads directly to satisfied purchase. Here is what I need.

To write and save copious amounts of text. Watch dvds. Upload photos. Music.

I don't "game", though I did clear sonic 2 on the megadrive in 24 hours solid play back in '93 or so. And maybe I'll want to find out what the hell "second life" is all about at some point. Not important, though.

I commute, so mobility is major factor. 2 kg or so? Screen of around 13". Or do they tend to wreck the head if stared at for too long? Hard to know. Decent battery life also required.

I have a budget of around one thousand euros, though I have no objection to spending less.

I'll admit to a slight bias against buying online. Is this rational? Significant savings to be made? Are there websites to avoid when buying? I'm fairly inept, technically speaking, so there's a good chance I'll need to avail of "support".

Thanks for taking the trouble to read.

Thank you very much.

Spylon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hi Spylon.

1000 euro these days will buy you a fantastic high-spec laptop, but I imagine you won't need all that extra grunt, so if I was you I would be thinking 500-800 new, or 400-500 second-hand. (approx)

New:
    Check out http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

Second-hand:
    http://www.adverts.ie

Text, even copious amounts of it, takes up minute amounts of hard drive space by todays standards. Unless you plan on downloading lots of music or movies, I think an 80 gig hard drive would be more than enough for your general needs.

DVD has been standard on most laptops for a few years now. That's in the bag.

Most games, even recent titles like second-life will run on fairly modest systems. It's generally the brand-new 3d "first person shooters" which require top graphic cards for maximum enjoyment.

If you require good battery life then you are probably best buying new rather than second-hand. Batterys deteriorate over time and can be expensive to replace, unfortunatly.

When you mention "support", I think the best support you could have would be a friend with a bit of technical know-how. People are also (usually) very helpful on this site, you could turn a problem around within an hour in the afternoon here. Dell and Apple are known for their good support.

Regarding buying online. I think if you buy a reputable brand from a reputable dealer, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

This is the minimum spec I think you should aim for:
    Processor- Core2Duo 1.6
    Ram - 1 gig, preferably 2
    Hard drive - 80-120 gigs
    Graphics - Integrated should be fine for your needs

Other features to expect from a reasonably priced modern laptop:
    2 or 3 usb ports
    Bluetooth
    Decent looks, size etc.

Finally, don't rule out getting an Apple computer. You could try out OSX, and if it's not for you, Windows can be installed by anyone with a bit of technical know-how. The reason I mention this is because the Apple Macbook is a very slim, slick, sturdy 13" laptop with some great features. Apart from that, if I were in your shoes, I would probably be looking at a Dell.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

spylon wrote: »
    To write and save copious amounts of text. Watch dvds. Upload photos. Music.

Text in word format or anything else doesnt take much space at all, more music and videos its worth getting a decent sized hard drive, most machines come with between 100-300 gigs, Id aim for around 200 myself. Might be worth setting aside a few quid for MS word if your big into reports etc.
    I don't "game", though I did clear sonic 2 on the megadrive in 24 hours solid play back in '93 or so. And maybe I'll want to find out what the hell "second life" is all about at some point. Not important, though.

For the price you quoted you should be able to get a machine with some 3d acceleration. I consider it a big step up from any integrated graphics, intels gma chipset is a joke. Fortunately accelerated laptops are very common now, look for an AMD or Nvidia chipset. Its well worth it, even if your not a gamer it helps things like graphics programs and google earth.

Beware of Nvidia however, some of there chipsets have been plagued by problems, I think its worth going for an ATI card.
    I commute, so mobility is major factor. 2 kg or so? Screen of around 13". Or do they tend to wreck the head if stared at for too long? Hard to know. Decent battery life also required.

13" is a good choice, I have 15" laptop and 9" netbook, the 15" is a bit too heavy and the 9" is wonderfully portable, but can cause eye strain if your using it for long periods. With any laptop you can expect to get back ache if your using it for long periods, so it might be worth budgeting in an external monitor and keyboard/mouse (say €150 online)

Something else to beware of is glossy screens, some people love them and some people hate them, Im more of a hater myself, while they are a bit crisper they also cause massive eye strain if lighting conditions are strong (Ie in an office)
    I have a budget of around one thousand euros, though I have no objection to spending less.

1000 euros will get you two laptops these days, as your after a 13" you can expect to pay a small bit extra, they cost a small bit more than 14/15 inchers. I think 600-800 euro will get you just what you want.
    I'll admit to a slight bias against buying online. Is this rational? Significant savings to be made? Are there websites to avoid when buying? I'm fairly inept, technically speaking, so there's a good chance I'll need to avail of "support".

You can expect to save a fair bit by buying online, a rough guess would be around 100-200 euro on a 1000 euro laptop, depending on where. I would definitely advise hitting the shops where ever you decide to buy from, its the only way you can decide if the laptop is the right size, and whether or not you like the screen. Look out for the shop attendants though, some may want to sell something far higher spec than you need.

Support is always a tricky question, I think most people spend far too much money on support services, but I work in IT so I can fix my own problems. You can usualy get support through the web for many manufacturers well after a year, dell have a pretty decent support site.

I think its a waste to get extended warranty also, google bathtub curve and you`ll see what I mean, most devices fail either in the first few months or after a good few years, hence why you are entitled to a years support through law and why manufacturers sell warranty's for 3 years. The product will most likely fail when they have to fix it by law, or after the expensive warranty has run out anyway. On top of that, in 3 years time its not going to heading towards obsolescence. That being said, if it dies after a year and a month you might be glad you shelled out.

Shops wise, try the usual suspects such as www.dell.ie .

I also personally recommend www.komplett.ie and www.elara.ie, I have placed many orders with these guys and haven't been let down.

Good luck with the laptop hunt, and remember to keep an eye on specs, not all laptops are the same, and by paying close attention you can get what you want exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spylon

Thanks to you both for such detailed replies. Great help. I'm thinking about Dell, haven't ruled Apple out, and also have my eye on the Samsung Q210. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I reckon Apple Macbook Spylon,

By the sounds of things you want to cut out all the technical bullshit,
    aren't exactly computer savvy and just want something that does what you need it to do, then the macbook is your man. 13" Macbook sounds perfect for you.

The biggest problem I see with people buying laptops theses days is that they can't grasp the concept of anti-virus updates, spyware and adware etc. So 6-12 months down the line they are dropping their laptops into a PC repair shop because its fooked and slow while cursing themselves for buying it, where Mr. PC Repair shop is only too happy to charge you 100-120 to repair it when it was your own fault for not keeping your software upto date in the first place!!.

Right there are some truly great IT heads here on boards and their recommendations tend to be spot on most of the time such as seclachi's post above, but the problem I find is that we recommend kit from an IT heads point of view and not from the point of view of the user that is actually going to be using the laptop..

So my recommendation to you is...buy a macbook.

1. Anti Virus is optional, you don't have to worry about daily updates and scans etc.

2. Mac OSX is very simple to use, particular for someone that doesn't want or need to know all the technical mumbo jumbo.

3. They are extremely fun to use.

Thats my 2 cents anyway..:)

Advertisement