Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EEE PC 1000 or MSI Wind for a first time netbook buyer?

Options
  • 15-11-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Sorry if something like this has been posted before but I just did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I'm thinking of buying myself a netbook and I'm torn between the eee pc 1000 and the MSI wind.

The MSI wind is going for 399 euro on komplett.ie where as the Linux version of the eee pc 1000 is 405 on Elara. The MSI wind has the advantage of a much bigger hard drive but has limited battery life. Also Komplett are apparently throwing in an extra 1GB stick of memory.

The eee pc 1000 has a much smaller hard drive but better battery life and better wifi connectivity. Also its SSHD is faster and more sturdy.

The OS doesn't really matter all that much as no matter which one I go for Ubuntu is going to end up on it in one form or another, again in the respect the eee has the advantage.

Any advice on which one to go for would be greatly appreciated because right now I'm stumped :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Thanks. I'll consider it, any advice on where to buy one in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Laptops direct are selling the wind for around the 360 mark and to the best of my knowledge their prices are directly linked to the exchange rate so will be going down in price. Also it's possible to install osx on the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The eee PC 1000 comes in two models, the 1000 with SSD, and 1000H with conventional HDD. Komplett has the 1000H, but (weirdly) it doesn't say what size HDD it has.

I have the 1000, and while I'm very happy with the SSD, it doesn't behave like a conventional HDD. The access times much lower, but bulk data transfers are slower. You need to be careful in how you use it, e.g. run XP or Linux with no virtual memory swapfile. You'll read complaints that installing apps is slow - and I agree, since it took over 20 minutes to install Microsoft Office 2007 to the second SSD (D:) - but you don't do that every day.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Dabs.ie has the 160GB version of the Linux eeepc 1000H for 380. That looking pretty appealing to me right now. I like everything about the Samsung NC10 apart from the fact ubuntu is a hassle to get running on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jezza10

There is an ununtu NC10 blog around somewhere, there's a link from my NC10 blog. I'd post up the link but as a new user im not able to yet!

To the OP: I really recommend the NC10 its a real beaut - any questions then drop me a line :)!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jezza10 wrote: »
    There is an ununtu NC10 blog around somewhere, there's a link from my NC10 blog. I'd post up the link but as a new user im not able to yet!

To the OP: I really recommend the NC10 its a real beaut - any questions then drop me a line :)!
    If you want pm me the link and I'll post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Elara.ie have the Asus eee pc 1000H version with 160gb HDD and Xp for 370 or 380 delivered.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1622959

Advertisement