Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question

Options
  • 12-10-2007 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I recently made a claim for theft with Quinn Direct and as a result lost 2 years no claims bonus. My premium with QD has been substantially loaded/increased.

As far as I know, some insurers will not remove the NCB following a theft (makes sense, as it does not indicate that the claimant is a poor driver or a substantially higher risk). I rang Hibernian and asked if they would apply my NCB if I produced a letter from Quinn stating that I had the bonus before the theft claim. After consulting with someone else the agent said they would indeed give me the bonus in this case, but she subsequently put me on hold again and changed her mind.

My question is, is there any point in pursuing this with more insurers? I feel hard done by as the car was not significantly valuable and because my NCB was at stake it was very nearly not worth claiming :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

to be honest there isnt really - your claim will show up in the central database of all the insurers if they do a check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I didn't think so. Hibernian's initial offer to give me a no claims discount raised my hopes though. I feel hard done by though, I don't think a theft claim should penalise me in this way. No more Quinn Direct for me I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i'm in the process of making a claim for theft of a 2.5-3k car with britton insurance. they can't tell me if my NCB will be affected if i make the claim, they'll decide after i pay out (this sounds dogy to start with).

so i'm left thinking i might be better off in the long run if i don't claim and use the NCB i have to cut down on premiums for the next couple of years (1k instead of 2.2-2.5k). for a theft that wasn't my fault, this seems a tad unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Usually says what is allowed on your policy. eg one fire and one theft in 3 years with no effect on your NCB.
    A single theft is usually listed as not affecting NCB but as in all policies read the small print.
    I had separately a windscreen and a side window replaced within 3 years on insurance. One stone and one attempted breakin. Thought windscreen didnt affect NCB at all. I have protected full NCB. My next insurance quote was over double. I inquired and was told I had 2 claims in 3 yrs so lump it. Wouldnt even be any point going elsewhere as it would come up the same. Could have paid for windows myself. After much gnashing and getting nowhere with several people I eventually spoke to someone who listened and they told me, it was one windscreen and one theft in 3 years. But thats what happened I said, not 2 accidental windscreens, had the police report but as no other damage it was just replaced by glass company and charged to insurance company. Insurance quote reverted to normal. So dont believe everything they tell you and check all small print and fine details first. Thats why they are minting it.

Something else you have to realise there are only 3 or 4 actual insurance companies here, the rest are subsidaries so you will get much the same quote, sometimes even from same office/call centre for several companies. Ive been bouncing between AXA and AA as they seem to get me the best price and sometimes will meet a competitors price.
    Do a bit more ringing around. Some companies ask if you had any accidents or claims, some ask accidents only AFAIR.
    10 yrs ago as a young driver I was paying £90 tpft;), but not here:(.
    Taken me that long to get it down to €300 here. ROI:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

cornbb wrote: »
    No more Quinn Direct for me I think!
    thats my problem at the moment, i had 3 years ncb claimed with quinn and noone else will insure me now

• Advertisement

i'm in the process of making a claim for theft of a 2.5-3k car with britton insurance. they can't tell me if my NCB will be affected if i make the claim, they'll decide after i pay out (this sounds dogy to start with).

so i'm left thinking i might be better off in the long run if i don't claim and use the NCB i have to cut down on premiums for the next couple of years (1k instead of 2.2-2.5k). for a theft that wasn't my fault, this seems a tad unfair.

It is completely unfair, isn't it. I'm considering kicking up a ruckus, but having worked in an insurance call centre in the past I know that there is no point in doing this unless the insurance company have either broken the law or violated their own terms and conditions, and 99.999% of the time they will have covered their own asses.

Its worth doing the sums and figuring out whether its worth claiming in the event an inexpensive car is stolen. A payout of 1000-2000 euro is not worth it if involves paying even more in loaded premiums/lost NCB over the next few years.

Lessons learned (by me):
    - buy a steering lock
    - no more Quinn Direct
    - pay extra for protected NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

to be honest, most insurance companys will remove some no claims bonus after a theft claim so your best bet would be to talk to a broker, as they deal with most insurance companys and know alot regarding the procedures.

And the fact that the agent in Hibernian said they would apply the NCB then changed there mind makes me think that they didnt know what they were talking about and when they put ya on hold, they checked with their supervisor they said no so that doesnt say much for the Hibernian staff.

Dont just give up, ring brokers and ring some insuraces companys yourself cos if 30mins on the phone can save ya a few hundered quid its well worth it.

-V-

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was takling to a friend who a thief claim with QD and his insurance went up 3x. He rang and asked and got the same run around, rang another insurance company and explained the story and got quote back to proper level. Can't remember who he rang. As others have said ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Axa will give a discount based on driving experience afaik - might be worth giving them a call.

kdevitt wrote: »
    Axa will give a discount based on driving experience afaik - might be worth giving them a call.
    Axa like all insurance companies give you a no claims discount based on number of years of proveable insured accident-free driving (ie on your own policy). Some may consider time on another (say parents) policy.
    The main factors that directly effect your initial premium are age, sex, accidents, location, profession, car type/engine size/value/security, how long youve had your licence.
    Experience isnt really measurable so isnt an insurance criteria. eg a person who drove for years on parents open policy but not named on that policy may not get any more consideration than someone with none

Cornbb - afraid you are caught by the small print, actually a fairly restrictive policy as seems to be any claim including f&t
    "If a claim arises during any period of insurance, we will reduce
    your no-claims bonus as follows.
    No-claims bonus Reduced to
    1 Year --- 0 Years
    2 Years ---0 Years
    3 Years --- 0 Years
    4 Years --- 1 Year
    5 Years --- or above 2 Years
    If two or more claims arise in any period of insurance, we will
    reduce your no-claims bonus to zero at your next renewal."
    http://www.quinn-direct.ie/documents/motor_policy_roi.pdf

Excellent recommendation to get steering lock. I use 2 on the principle that its easier for them to move to the next car with only one if they really want to take it. Main criteria for most car thieves is how long it takes to nick

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    Axa like all insurance companies give you a no claims discount based on number of years of proveable insured accident-free driving (ie on your own policy). Some may consider time on another (say parents) policy.

This sounds promising - if anyone (eg Axa) base their premiums on number years of accident-free driving as opposed to claim-free driving then I'm sorted. Also, I'm turning 25 next month so that should help too.

I'll ring around this afternoon and report back anything significant.

This sounds promising - if anyone (eg Axa) base their premiums on number years of accident-free driving as opposed to claim-free driving then I'm sorted. Also, I'm turning 25 next month so that should help too.

I'll ring around this afternoon and report back anything significant.

Anyone I know who has gotten a discount with Axa based on anything other than NCB has been on a second car by the way, so don't hold out too much hope - but its worth a shot anyway. The NCB still plays a major part!

http://www.axa.ie/car/private_car.html
    Standard cover across all packages includes:
    1. No loss of bonus for claims involving fire, theft or glass breakage.
    2. Up to 70% maximum no claims bonus.
    3. If you have at least 4 years bonus and you do make a claim, you won't lose all of your no claims bonus.
    and
    Discounts
    You may be able to avail of discounts if you:
    1. Have previous driving experience on AXA Insurance or other Insurers policies.
    2. Had a company car.
    3. Are under 26 and have a parent who is currently insured with AXA for the last three years or more.
    4. Are a non drinker.
    5. Have had 25 hours tuition with a DIR registered instructor.

Glad to see there's some sensible stuff in there, especially the driving lessons one.:cool: Check the small print though
    Give them a try and moan about the nonsense, you might get a sympathetic ear and a better quote. As nonstandard might have to refer to a superviser for authorisation. Could depend too on whether Quinn clarify the details correctly for losing your NCB with them. AXA might give you an introductory NCB. Unfortunately their guidelines change, one year I was able to negotiate a 150 reduction to match another quote, next year they couldnt budge a cent & so lost my business.
    If you get a proper quote, ring around a few others mentioning that quote to see if you can do better and back again if you do.
    Remember the findings of the MIAB (AFAIR) a few years ago, our tiny car insurance industry made more profit (actual, not relative) that the whole UK one:(

Part of that is people who simply pay whatever rediculous figure is quoted without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

To original poster.

How much was your insurance before the theft?
    How much is your insurance after theft?

Is new car bigger cc, more valueable, more sporty??

How much was your claim for?

Keith C wrote: »
    How much was your insurance before the theft?
    Don't have exact figures to hand, around €900
    How much is your insurance after theft?
    Around €1,300
    Is new car bigger cc, more valueable, more sporty??
    Haven't gotten one yet but I reckon cc, value etc will be roughly the same as the old one.
    How much was your claim for?
    They settled for €1,400 minus excess - if it was for anything less than that, I doubt very much it would have been worth claiming.

Well for an increase of €400, you've recieved €1,400 - x/s.
    Some companies will allow you have a theft claim & keep your bonus, Quinn obviously dont.
    Sometimes cheapest price isnt always best cover.
    Pick out your new car & before you buy it, ring quinn & request a quote for the new car to see if your premium increases or descreases at all.
    Then ring other insurance companies, disclose your theft claim & you have 0 ncb & see if they quote you.
    After that go with the cheapest insurer, which is probably gonna be Quinn

So you've lost three years NCB and you're insurance has only gone up by €400?? You do realise thats not bad, yeah?

So you've lost three years NCB and you're insurance has only gone up by €400?? You do realise thats not bad, yeah?

Its was 2 years NCB, and the figure might be a bit higher (maybe €500 or so, the exact figures are at home).

When you consider that this year I'm paying that much extra, plus next year and the year after I'll be paying a lot more than I would have had I held onto the NCB, its still a major blow.

Its was 2 years NCB, and the figure might be a bit higher (maybe €500 or so, the exact figures are at home).

When you consider that this year I'm paying that much extra, plus next year and the year after I'll be paying a lot more than I would have had I held onto the NCB, its still a major blow.

Well take some time out & do the maths, if it works out costing more then €1,400, then pay back the claim money to Quinn & get your 2 years reinstated & shop around next renewal (paying special attention to policy benefits)
    If it works out less, well take the claims money & the lesson learnt.......
    Cheapest isn't always best

Just got off the phone to Axa - they'll apply my 2 years NCB and therefore I can save around 400 euro compared to what I'm paying Quinn Direct at the moment. Better benefits too. Sweet. Glad to see some insurers have a little sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

thats my problem at the moment, i had 3 years ncb claimed with quinn and noone else will insure me now

i got a quote of fbd today, 600 cheaper than quinn and they will protect my new bonus as i build it, they even felt bad at the initial quote they offered me and dropped it by another 50.. im away from quinn YES

Advertisement