Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authentic Souvlaki In Dublin

Options
  • 23-10-2004 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭

Was chatting to a greek today about this, he says that a good Souvlaki beats any hamburger or pizza in terms of fast food indulgance.

Reading Souvlaki: The Hamburger of Greece has made my mouth water and want to experience this delicious looking delight.

Anyone know of a good place to get great Souvlaki in Dublin , even better if they do deliveries ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I don't think they exist tbh. I'd love to be able to send you one over via snail mail from a great place I know up the road from me in Athens but can't! Unless you don't mind decomposing foodstuff?

Souvlaki is by far the superior kebab type food, if you can find it I recommend it too. Personally I go for the skewer of pork type over the gyros (the stuff on the turning spit) but you can find nice gyro too.

My fave - pork skewered with paprika and salt, some fried potatos, tomato cucumber, tsatsiki and the dry fried pitta bread.

Do a search on this forum for Greek restaurants, ther maybe one outside of Dublin but I doubt they would do an authentic souvlaki.

Come over to Greece and I'll show you round to the great souvlaki joints around town. :D

Oh and the souvlaki sandwich isn't quite correct on that guys website. The particular place his mates went to only has one dish which is the "portion" that one would ask for. No matter what you ask for you will get "the portion" and hence - the open "bifteki" which is akin to souvlaki in this respect. Also those souvlakis don't look the most tantalising pictures, the good souvlakis are more compact but full at the same time - like the look of a good free range chicken compared to a battery one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ther have been a couple of threads here in the past about the absence of Greek restaurants in Dublin. Plenty of generic mediterranean/middle east kebab type places, but not a single Greek that I know of.

Advertisement