Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin / London route

• 20-10-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I see where British Airways flights will arrive into the fab Terminal 5 (T5) from next Sunday (26th.Oct.2014).

Will this make it a lot easier for the onward journey into London ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Won't make it any easier or more difficult really.

It will just take a few minutes longer as T5 is the furthest from Central London. Add about 5 - 10 minutes.

Both the Tube and Heathrow Express were extended to reach T5 when it was built and you will pass through the old Terminals 1,2 and 3 stations of either service that you would have used before when flying from Dublin. Add about 5 - 10 minutes to your journey/

By car or taxi, T5 has its own direct link to the M25 where you'll head clockwise for a mile to reach the M4 to take you straight into London past junction 4 where you would have joined the motorway when coming from T1 or T2 before. I'd allow an extra 10 - 15 minutes in good traffic to accommodate the extra distance involved.

Different bus companies may take different routes with some going direct and others stopping at the old Terminals on the was so its hard to say if they are any handier.

Also while T5 may be fab, its also very big so maybe factor in the time it takes to get to and from the plane to the train, car or bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Is that Aer Lingus gate at Heathrow still out around Gate 86.....surely a shorter walk in T5 ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

amadain wrote: »
    Is that Aer Lingus gate at Heathrow still out around Gate 86.....surely a shorter walk in T5 ???

No, Aer Lingus is now based in the new T2, it's a much shorter walk from the main terminal area to the gate.

On the tube service, T5 is serviced by every second train heading to Heathrow, it needs to say T5 as the destination coming from the city, otherwise it's going to T4 and T1/2/3 but not T5.

There are many aircraft stands at T5 connected directly to the main terminal so if the plane uses one of these you're in for a relatively short walk, however there are three satelite terminals further out. These are linked to the main terminal by a connecting train, (like in Stansted).

I'm not sure if BAA have a designated stand in T5 for BA flights from Dublin like they had for Aer Lingus in T1 so not sure what part of T5 they park up at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Lapin wrote: »
    There are many aircraft stands at T5 connected directly to the main terminal so if the plane uses one of these you're in for a relatively short walk, however there are three satelite terminals further out. These are linked to the main terminal by a connecting train, (like in Stansted).

I'm not sure if BAA have a designated stand in T5 for BA flights from Dublin like they had for Aer Lingus in T1 so not sure what part of T5 they park up at.

As a poster said above Aer Lingus now fly into T2 not T1. At T5 the Dublin flight should arrive in the UK and Ireland arrivals area and not the international area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Also it may be worth noting that T5 = British Airways ONLY, so all onward journeys to foreign lands with them means no changing terminal building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Was in LHR last Sat 18th Oct, told there might be some push-back on that date of Oct 25th.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

jjbrien wrote: »
    As a poster said above Aer Lingus now fly into T2 not T1.

I know, but the OP is specifically referring to BA flights to T5.
    jjbrien wrote: »
    At T5 the Dublin flight should arrive in the UK and Ireland arrivals area and not the international area.

That makes sense.
    Where abouts is the UK and ROI area?
    Its over five years since I flew from T5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They had to reconfigure part of T5A (ie the main part) around gate 23 IIRC to accommodate CTA flights. It's likely to mean that Dublin is the only route effectively guaranteed a contact stand in T5A. The area is just below the south lounge complex - down where the Hughes & Hughes shop was when T5 opened. I think it's a plus.

Also it may be worth noting that T5 = British Airways ONLY......

British Airways and Iberia.

The two airlines merged in 2010 but continue to operate under their own brand names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Also it may be worth noting that T5 = British Airways ONLY, so all onward journeys to foreign lands with them means no changing terminal building.

Not ALL; for example Barcelona flights are being transferred to T3 to allow Dublin to move to T5. Others inlude Lisbon, Budapest, Prague, Warsaw, Vienna etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I know, but the OP is specifically referring to BA flights to T5.

That makes sense.
    Where abouts is the UK and ROI area?
    Its over five years since I flew from T5.

Been 4 years since i was in T5. Was in T2 with Aer Lingus two months ago and was nice. Last time i remeber seeing UK flights leaving from the main terminal

Advertisement