Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coin Fair tomorrow - Two must get coins and stamps

• 16-10-2014 5:57pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Your 5 Euro entry ticket will entitle you to buy one of the new Triple Coin sets, that is if there's any left when you get there. Limited to just 1,000 sets in total, approximately only 300 will be set aside for each day of the fair.

Also An Post released these cool new stamps today, so they should be available at the fair too. So who's going tomorrow? Don't think I'll be there till the afternoon myself.

325438.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I'm going to go over in the morning to get one of the triple sets. I am glad to see that they are setting daily sales limits. It would be very unfair to sell them all on Friday when most people will be in work. At least this way they are guaranteed to still have some on both Saturday and Sunday.

I do like the new stamps. They bring back memories of my misspent youth in many a gloomy arcade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

Going up myself tomorrow morning what time does it open at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

hexosan wrote: »
    Going up myself tomorrow morning what time does it open at.

11.00am - 6.00pm

Just back from the fair. I arrived at 10:30 and there were about 30 people in the queue. They opened the doors at 11:00, it is hard to say how many were in the queue at the stage but I would guess at around 100. When you paid your five Euro admission fee you were given your cloakroom ticket for the fair and also a voucher to be allowed to buy the triple set. When I was leaving at 12:30 there were still vouchers being given at the door for people arriving.

I reckon that they will sell out of the sets but the plan of spreading the sales over three days seems to be working well. They were very strict on the rule of one set per voucher. I saw many people who were looking for two and they were flatly told, no way. There were plenty of people drifting in from the over 50's show and trying to buy the sets but were told that they had to go and pay five Euro to get the voucher first. People were claiming they didn't realise that they needed a voucher. They were all told to go get a voucher and then come back. Only fair in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Stampa Admission coupon
    https://www.facebook.com/AnPost/photos/a.218885101549612.40410.120409074730549/589265824511536/?type=1&theater

Don't forget to read the descriptions, quite humorous.
    I prefer the last two words to the coupon.
    325587.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'll be travelling up from Kilkenny tomorrow morning, just to buy the coin set - with a nod and thanks to others on this forum who had previously offered to help me source one. I'll pick up some of those stamps too, they look pretty cool

[edit] Are there credit/debit card facilities on the stands or is it cash only?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

MasterSun wrote: »
    Stampa Admission coupon

I think that unless you pay the full 5 Euro entry fee, you won't get the voucher for the triple set. There's a sign before you go in saying something to that effect, though I didn't read it fully so could be wrong, just remember seeing it.

I was up there today at 10:50am there was at least 100 people in the Q. Had a free admission ticket but when you entered you still had to pay €5 to get the voucher to purchase the coin set. Made the whole free admission pointless because if you didn't have it your €5 admission got you the voucher for the set ??

I did see more then one person in the Q with two vouchers but I can't say if they were allowed to purchase two sets

I thought it was very badly laid out, stampa had half the room and the coin dealers were all wedged together. You could barely pass up and down each row.

There was a real feeling of us (stamps) and them (coins). It's almost like the two didn't get on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Spocker wrote: »
    I'll be travelling up from Kilkenny tomorrow morning, just to buy the coin set - with a nod and thanks to others on this forum who had previously offered to help me source one. I'll pick up some of those stamps too, they look pretty cool

[edit] Are there credit/debit card facilities on the stands or is it cash only?

It's a long journey just to buy the triple set, my feeling is that you should be able to get one for around 150-160 after the fair. With the entry fee it's 135 you'll have to pay anyway. Not sure about the CC facilities, probably only the likes of the Central Bank would have that.

The Central Bank do have credit/debit facilities. I doubt anyone else does though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Blade wrote: »
    It's a long journey just to buy the triple set, my feeling is that you should be able to get one for around 150-160 after the fair. With the entry fee it's 135 you'll have to pay anyway. Not sure about the CC facilities, probably only the likes of the Central Bank would have that.

Can't each coin in the set be bought individually.

Can't each coin in the set be bought individually.

The horse one is sold out but the other two are still available. However many people want to buy this set because it is a separate release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

I was up there today at 10:50am there was at least 100 people in the Q. Had a free admission ticket but when you entered you still had to pay €5 to get the voucher to purchase the coin set. Made the whole free admission pointless because if you didn't have it your €5 admission got you the voucher for the set ??

I did see more then one person in the Q with two vouchers but I can't say if they were allowed to purchase two sets

I thought it was very badly laid out, stampa had half the room and the coin dealers were all wedged together. You could barely pass up and down each row.

There was a real feeling of us (stamps) and them (coins). It's almost like the two didn't get on.

Have to totally agree with the above, I arrived at 1.30pm (Fri) and the difference in the two areas was amazing, roomy, quiet relaxed in the stamp section, a lot more room given to the stamp dealers who didn`t seem to be that many. Very noisy, crowded, sweaty(you could have ringed out Del Parker`s shirt, will teach him not to wear blue!!) in the coin area and to add to it, some noisy git of a comedian doing a show along side whose jokes were as old if not older than some of the coins on sale. Noel v something I think he called himself.
    When paying the entry fee I got the voucher to buy the triple set but Mike who took my payment said some people were paying the entry fee twice in order to get 2 vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Be aware of pick-pockets, a relative of mine lost a wallet while attending the over 50's show today. :(

It'll be interesting to see if this sells at its asking price: http://www.adverts.ie/coins/silver-proof-3-coin-set/6671615

Does anyone know if they sold out at the Fair of if theres more available via the Central Bank?

I was there yesterday afternoon but when Dickie Rock got on stage and started crooning for all the old dears I couldn't take it and had to leave. At that stage they said they only had a handful left.

I doubt very much the seller will get anywhere near 450 (but they probably know that) but it will certainly be interesting to see how much it does go for.

I take it you didn't drive all the way up to get one in the end Spocker?

Spocker wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if this sells at its asking price: http://www.adverts.ie/coins/silver-proof-3-coin-set/6671615

Does anyone know if they sold out at the Fair of if theres more available via the Central Bank?

They didn't sell out was talking to a dealer who said they were offered them by central bank staff.

I take it you didn't drive all the way up to get one in the end Spocker?

I did actually, shure it was a day out in the Big Shmoke :)

Seriously, though, I wasn't going to take the chance of being forced to pick one up at market rates if they all sold out. The cost of the set was €130 + €5 entry plus ~€15 diesel + €2.40 parking = total cost of €152.40.

If I were to wait and both it on Adverts it would have cost me €297.60 more :pac: Ordering from the Central Band direct would still have cost at least €137, so I reckon it was worth the trip.

I have to say, its a really nice set. The box and lettering is plain and simple, and the coins themselves are really well defined and sharp, with no clutter (Battle of Clontarf anyone?). its nice to see the three of the same theme together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

There were two of the sets been sold last week on ebay from a dealer in germany. I saved in my watchlist but didint bid as I planned on going to the fair. they finished at €120 and €123 respectively, cant understand why he had no reserve on them

• Advertisement

http://www.adverts.ie/coins/three-coin-proof-set/6675415

Listed at only 160 and accepted an offer of 150 only a short while later.

Dmcl do you know does that mean that there is still 100 left if they only allocated 300 per day? or would they have sold 400 on the last day

I don't know that they allocated 300 per day. All they said was that they wanted to avoid a situation where every set was sold on Friday, so they allocated a certain number of sets as the maximum to sell each day. Thereby making sure that everyone had a fair chance of getting one no matter which of the three days that they came on.

When I left on Sunday they only had a few left. However hexosan said they had some left that they offered dealers. My guess is that whatever was not sold off was offered to any dealers that were still there on Sunday. I very much doubt that any will be offered for sale from the website or Dame Street.

Ah ok, ya there is no order form on the website, It would be nice if they done a yearly set to include the releases from that year

That sale fell through, I managed to get it, lucky you drew my attention to it.

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    That sale fell through, I managed to get it, lucky you drew my attention to it.

I reckon 150 is a great price for it. Congratulations.

Same as, happy days. will not see many at that price.

I bought one over the phone form the Central Bank this morning, I don't know how many are left.

I bought one over the phone form the Central Bank this morning, I don't know how many are left.

I was just going to suggest this (phoning). At I said earlier they were been offered to dealers on Sunday evening and even then it didn't seem like they were all purchased.

• Advertisement

Out of pure nosiness I just rang the collector unit. They still have sets left and their currently working through a waiting list of names. The lady said that even if your not on the list it's highly likely you'd still be able to get one.
    So looks like more sets than names.

I wonder where this waiting list came from? Is it people who rang up last week or is it only people who rang up since Monday morning?

I was given the impression at the fair that they only had a few left. What angers me is that whenever you talk to them they always try to give the impression that everything is nearly sold out.

I can second that feeling they never come out and say exactly what they have. I left my name on the waiting list and I was rang back at 2:10pm and offered another set.

When the Michael Collins double sets sold out and then the silver coins sold out, I figured I would order a few of the gold coins before they also went. However I was in work and I didn't have my credit card details with me. So I rang and asked them would the Michael Collins gold coins still be in stock in the morning as I didn't have my credit card details with me. They told me that they only had a handful left and the would probably be sold in the next couple of hours. So, I took an hour off work and legged it home to get my credit card and place the order.

Of course they didn't sell out for about another week or two after that.

I missed out on the Celtic Cross coins as I only started to collect after that. So when the Monastic Art coin was released I decided I wanted to get a few of them. So I ordered the two coins I was allowed and enquired how sales were doing. Again I was told that they were nearly all gone. So I got my brother and my sister to sign up and they ordered coins as well.

Those coins didn't sell out for another two years.

Coins now asking 150e in Lir Coins, which seems reasonable

Coins now asking 150e in Lir Coins, which seems reasonable

Not really when you can cross the road and purchase it still from the central bank for €130.

• Advertisement

Not really when you can cross the road and purchase it still from the central bank for €130.

You sure they have them for sale at the CB across the road? Thought they didn't send any over there and were just selling the few remaining from Sandyford...

You sure they have them for sale at the CB across the road? Thought they didn't send any over there and were just selling the few remaining from Sandyford...

I can't say for certain they have them but I was speaking to the staff (on the phone) in dames St and I assumed since they were still available you could also purchase them as the counter (should of asked).
    If you were going to Lir coins it wouldnt take 10mins to run across to the central bank to check.

I can't say for certain they have them but I was speaking to the staff (on the phone) in dames St and I assumed since they were still available you could also purchase them as the counter (should of asked).
    If you were going to Lir coins it wouldnt take 10mins to run across to the central bank to check.

The phone numbers for the coin collector unit on the CB site put you through to Sandyford not Dame St. if that's what you rang? It's possible that they sent some over to Dame St. but my understanding was that there was too few sets left to bother doing that and the phone orders are handled by Sandyford, so they were just going to sell the remaining ones from there.

Advertisement