Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should department agree to change Mark of the beast PPS Number ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good thing she wasn't born in June 1966 - 6/66.

She might have grown horns with cloven feet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They should have asked if she prayed and if she said yes, then they should have sent this prayer to her, and if she still had problems ask why does she doubt God?

Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend us in the hour of conflict.
    Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God restrain him, we humbly pray;
    and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust Satan down into hell and with him all the evil spirits
    who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.
    Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭baba_bear

The PPS number should not be changed in this instance - such an utter waste of public resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

My child was due on 06/06/06
    I remember the Doctor saying you'll have your legs crossed that day!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Her PPS number is a lot more than six hundred and something.

There are 7 digits in a PPS number so there are 5 positions in which 666 could occur. So that's 5 per thousand. So over 23,000 people, actual

ly more if you take into account people who've emigrated.

The "number of the beast" has also been described as 616. And are also we to accommodate the 6% of PPS numbers potentially assigned to triskaidekaphobics ? And what of the Asian lucky numbers or the death digit 4

or

the number that is one more than seven and one less than nine, two to the power of three , the same as the number of legs of a spider :eek:

There isn't a problem. Her number isn't 666 or 616.
    And she doesn't have to use the number. She can keep paying emergency tax or refuse to accept state benefits.

Or allow her to change the number, once she has paid the appropriate fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

666 + 666 + 666 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 2016

:eek:

Run to da Hills? Is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Apparently when bar codes came out first some evangelical groups in the US were convinced that bar codes contained the numbers 666 and bar codes were the work of evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

but there is a much better way to save someone a lot of time from having to deal with an idiot like this;Just ignore them.
    "Just ignore them" seems like a much less certain permanent solution than having private in-built measures to avoid some potential future case of ridiculous hysteria. It only takes one case of someone being allowed to change their number to set a precedent that would wreck the whole system, so why not ensure everyone will be as apathetic about their number as possible.
    Now, I can't think of any reason a sufficient number would find remotely acceptable for such a request, but I still see no reason not to safeguard against it as much as one can.

I'd damn near guarantee there's already measures in place to prevent a helluvalot of combinations from coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I have a feeling if she wasn't nigerian people would think there's no problem about changing it.

I myself would not be happy with a 666 number so I can see where she's coming from .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

My pps has 666 in it and I've just recently realised it's also the serial number to a powerful rifle.
    Time to purchase one and go do the devil work! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

Not this time satan, we're onto you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ken wrote: »
    . I can understand people not wanting 13 in their reg plate either at the start or end .

I cant. Those people are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The Raptor wrote: »
    Did anyone else use a calculator after reading this?

i added them up but in my head
    i used a calculator for the roulette one (36x(36+1))/2=666

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Has anyone checked if the child is the Devil??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Tell her to move to Templeogue then we can talk:
    The Routing Key is the first part of an Eircode and is consistently three characters long. The Universal Service Provider identified principal post towns through which mail is distributed and Eircode assigned Routing Key codes to those principal post towns.

The Routing Key format is Letter-Number-Number with the single exception of D6W for the Dublin 6W postal district.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

She's already been told no by Dept of Social Welfare, that should be the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jimbis wrote: »
    My pps has 666 in it and I've just recently realised it's also the serial number to a powerful rifle.
    Time to purchase one and go do the devil work! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My son was born 06/06/06 and his PPS number contains 3 sixes. What should I do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I have a feeling if she wasn't nigerian people would think there's no problem about changing it.

I myself would not be happy with a 666 number so I can see where she's coming from .
    I asked the OP where they read that she is Nigerian but got no reply.

In different media accounts I've seen her described variously as an Irish woman, and Irish mother, a Limerick mother, and a mother living in Limerick, but haven't seen one that says anything about Nigeria.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

KKkitty wrote: »

Start thinking about his birthday present in a few months. 10th birthdays can be a big deal.

Other than that, nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

People change PPS numbers all the time. It is a pain in the arse to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

An Nigerian woman based in limerick wants her babies pps number changed on religious grounds because it contains the numbers 666, however Joan Burtons department is refusing to do this.

I've checked online and can find no reference in any news source to this woman being Nigerian. Where's your evidence for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Peregrine wrote: »
    Start thinking about his birthday present in a few months. 10th birthdays can be a big deal.

Other than that, nothing.

Some people couldn't get over his date of birth at all. In case you're wondering I didn't call him Damian :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

smash wrote: »
    Good. They should tell her to cop on.

Also, I hope the child is called Damien.

You get to choose the name for your own baby, you do know that, right? :D what you should have written was "Also, I hope the child gets nicknamed Damien now".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mildly surprised the system for generating the numbers doesnt ensure any remotely objectionable sequence can't come up

I'm sure some people have 58008 in their PPS no.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If she does not want it I'll take it ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Saw a car where the reg plate numbers were 666.
    The owner had a decal on the back window which read "The Devil's Own Car".
    Thought it was clever. (doubt he declared this to his insurance company)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

josip wrote: »
    I thought they changed the car numbering scheme after intensive lobbying by SIMI to have 2 "new car" periods in a year to try to increase sales?

It started with Michael Healy Rae claiming superstitious motorists wouldn't buy the cars in the Dail.

http://www.thejournal.ie/michael-healy-rae-numberplates-reg-plate-cars-motoring-2013-345803-Feb2012/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It started with Michael Healy Rae claiming superstitious motorists wouldn't buy the cars in the Dail.
    Nah , that was purely about SIMI money grab.

It would have made an interesting social experiment though, if superstitious people didn't buy 13 cars would those cars have lower insurance costs ?

Oh and by the way AFAIK most churches are against superstition since that implies belief in false gods and daemons and such like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wouldn't buy a car in the Dáil. That doesn't make me superstitious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

delighted the government department didnt pander to the zombie worshipper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

id love to see a picture of

13 1D 666

A red Bentley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Even if it was a SIMI ploy via MHR giving his support, it's still embarrassing that an elected official would come out with such drivel in the Dail!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a car in the Dáil. That doesn't make me superstitious.

She's only kicking up because Dermot in Shannon seized the bag of monkey brains concealed in her luggage on her return home from holidaying in the country she originally 'fled' here to from to gain asylum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

my friend wrote: »
    id love to see a picture of

13 1D 666

A red Bentley?
    Lamborghini Diablo \m/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Diablo#/media/File:Early_Lamborghini_Diablo_in_red.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The state should not pander to grown adults who believe absolute codology. First step would be to rid ourselves of our sinister blasphemy laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

endacl wrote: »
    Change it to 667. The neighbour of the beast.

Or 665.99, the retail price of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

With the greatest respect, i believe the state should comply with her wishes

First and foremost it would probably be effortless to change it

Secondly..car registrations...lets not go there

Thirdly, regardless of our own personal values and beliefs, these are her ones.... it is, in many ways disrespecting that persons own beliefs, values and culture

Furthermore, is it a case that anything even remotley to do with religion is immediatley condemed and deemed unworthy here?? perhaps for many this is laughable and silly..but position yourself in that persons shoes for a moment...and try to empathize with their feelings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

pone2012 wrote: »
    Thirdly, regardless of our own personal values and beliefs, these are her ones.... it is, in many ways disrespecting that persons own beliefs, values and culture

Of course we should disrespect those views or beliefs. They are totally idiotic.

She needs to see a counsellor. Her kids should be taken into care.

/somewhat OTT AH view.

//only somewhat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Archeron wrote: »
    Or 665.99, the retail price of the beast.
    Coin rounding to begin as 1 cent, 2 cent coins phased out...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/coin-rounding-to-begin-as-1-cent-2-cent-coins-phased-out-1.2397307

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I reckon they should crank this up whenever she walks into the local Social Welfare office.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Book an exorcism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Well, when you bring him for a walk as long as you're not followed by a crow or a large black dog, normally a Rottweiler, then I don't think you need to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I have a set of fancy daggers you'll need to plunge into that kid.

Ya know, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

My PPS number ends in 2P , it is demeaning & belittling to be saying to pee every time I provide my number. Makes it sound like I have a bladder issue.

Can I get mine changed as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Many Garda stations in Dublin have 666 in their phone numbers - make of that what you will! :eek:

Childline is 1800-666-666 which as a kid spooked me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

my friend wrote: »
    She's only kicking up because Dermot in Shannon seized the bag of monkey brains concealed in her luggage on her return home from holidaying in the country she originally 'fled' here to from to gain asylum.

Care to clarify this statement?

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    My PPS number ends in 2P , it is demeaning & belittling to be saying to pee every time I provide my number. Makes it sound like I have a bladder issue.

8P ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

2P or not 2P, that is the question. Is what you're saying Ted?

Similarly, mine ends in 0o, i.e. oh-oh. That marks me out as some kind of troublemaker, and I think that's libelous. I demand a change, and compensation for the trauma endured!

Care to clarify this statement?

Ever watch satellite TV ? Sky 1?

Let me know

• Advertisement
Advertisement