Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should department agree to change Mark of the beast PPS Number ?

• 05-02-2016 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

An Nigerian woman based in limerick wants her babies pps number changed on religious grounds because it contains the numbers 666, however Joan Burtons department is refusing to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Allah akbar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Good. They should tell her to cop on.

Also, I hope the child is called Damien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cant believe I am saying this but...........I eh...........I agree with Joan Burton!!

Right I'm of to have a domestos shower, I feel dirty after saying that!!!

In hindsight maybe I should have gone unreg for this post..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Think we already have a thread on this?

What's the problem with changing it? Ask them to pay a fee. Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Tell her its fine.

Despite popular belief in modern christianity, 666 isn't actually the number of the beast. 777 is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

An Nigerian woman based in limerick
    Where did you hear she is Nigerian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I'm surprised they haven't changed it already.
    All car registrations were changed because some people might not want to drive a car with the number 13 on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They should offer her a new style pps number. He can be 152-LK-666 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I wonder how many buggies she has left at the bus stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Don't forget that the State introduced a new Car Reg as superstitious people wouldn't buy a 13 Reg!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Yep they should have.

She makes a complaint, someone on the dept. presses a few keys on the computer, issues a new number, boom it's done.

No story, no controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's plenty of other numbers people have superstitious fears of. Should we remove all chances of 13 or 17?

There's also the fact that the number of the made up beast isn't 666, it was a mistranslation. No one actually knows what the number is so the only way to be sure that you don't get the number of the beast is to have every number 666.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Change it to 667. The neighbour of the beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

I'd say if they won the Power ball with 6, 66 in the winning numbers, they'd want it changed too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

eeguy wrote: »
    Yep they should have.

She makes a complaint, someone on the dept. presses a few keys on the computer, issues a new number, boom it's done.

But why should they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yep they should have.

Shouldn't have to, they do it for one and next thing they'll have to do it for everyone who either doesn't like the number they get or wants their lucky Lotto numbers put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

No way. Making an allowance like that would open the door for every other kind of pedantic request.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Coming over here and changing our numbers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

666 + 666 + 666 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 2016

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Not enough 6

666 + 666 + 666 + 6 + 6 + 6 x (6 / 6) = 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 RadiationKing

Gatling wrote: »
    Allah akbar

What has this got to do with Islam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Stupid sixy numbers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm surprised they haven't changed it already.
    All car registrations were changed because some people might not want to drive a car with the number 13 on it.
    Riskymove wrote: »
    Don't forget that the State introduced a new Car Reg as superstitious people wouldn't buy a 13 Reg!!

I thought they changed the car numbering scheme after intensive lobbying by SIMI to have 2 "new car" periods in a year to try to increase sales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If the child's pps was just the number 666 on its own I'd understand but most peoples are a 7 or 8 digit number so most likely its 12346667. Thats not the number of the beast, that's the number 12,346,667. I can understand people not wanting 13 in their reg plate either at the start or end but if the reg was 00ke751345 and you wanted it changed cause the number 1 and 3 are beside each other then you'd be quite rightly laughed at by me till my throat was red raw.

Should change the number to 25.806975 and see if the mother cops it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 RadiationKing

josip wrote: »
    I thought they changed the car numbering scheme after intensive lobbying by SIMI to have 2 "new car" periods in a year to try to increase sales?

That was the cover story the lizard people sold us.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

When I worked in the bank we had a customer who wanted a new account number because hers contained 666. We did it out of sheer amusement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Auction it off to someone else, perhaps of Chinese descent where 666 can mean "everything goes smoothly". Or to fans of Kabbalistic Judaism, 666 is the number which represents the creation and perfection of the world.

Tell her also to avoid roulette establishments (it's the sum of all the numbers on a roulette wheel) 0 through 36.
    Offer her the binary alternative: 1010011010(2).
    Then send her to the medics for hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

It's more ridiculous that Willie O'Dea thought it was something that merited being brought to the Dail for debate/discussion. The country has plenty more pressing problems that could be up for discussion.

Completely ridiculous request IMO. It's the one and only time I will agree with Joan Burton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Auction it off to someone else, perhaps of Chinese descent where 666 can mean "everything goes smoothly". Or to fans of Kabbalistic Judaism, 666 is the number which represents the creation and perfection of the world.

Tell her also to avoid roulette establishments (it's the sum of all the numbers on a roulette wheel) 0 through 36.
    Offer her the binary alternative: 1010011010(2).
    Then send her to the medics for hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

666 is not the number of the beast, she lives in Fingal & I deleted her number from my phone when I finished with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I hope they stick with the NO, superstitious nonsense is given too much attention.

Im still fuming over the ridiculous 13X plate system that has now carried on ... what a joke!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

"Woe to you, oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath,
    Because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
    For it is a human number,
    Its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

should make it all 6s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

osarusan wrote: »
    Where did you hear she is Nigerian?

And what relevance is it.

Shouldn't have to, they do it for one and next thing they'll have to do it for everyone who either doesn't like the number they get or wants their lucky Lotto numbers put in.
    Sure what does it matter.
    They generate hundreds of pps numbers every day

How hard can it be to change one number. They should do it because they can and it's probably easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

"Woe to you, oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath,
    Because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
    For it is a human number,
    Its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

"I left alone, my mind was blank.
    I needed time to think, to get the memories from my mind.
    What did I see?
    Can I believe that what I saw that night was real and not just fantasy.
    Just what I saw in my old dreams
    Were they reflections of my warped mind staring back at me?
    'Cause in my dreams it's always there
    The evil face that twists my mind and brings me to despair"

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Mildly surprised the system for generating the numbers doesnt ensure any remotely objectionable sequence can't come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sure what does it matter.
    They generate hundreds of pps numbers every day

How hard can it be to change one number. They should do it because they can and it's probably easy.

Because it creates a precedent and idiots may want designer numbers for all sorts of reasons.

Kindly fuck off, take your allocated number same as the rest of us and like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,514 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mildly surprised the system for generating the numbers doesnt ensure any remotely objectionable sequence can't come up

why would it? its a number. it has no meaning. numbers are not objectionable. people thinking a number having special significance on the other hand is objectionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Did anyone else use a calculator after reading this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

why would it? its a number. it has no meaning. numbers are not objectionable. people thinking a number having special significance on the other hand is objectionable.
    Because it'd be **** all work and would save someone a lot of time from having to deal with some idiot like this.

Because it'd be **** all work and would save someone a lot of time from having to deal with some idiot like this.

but there is a much better way to save someone a lot of time from having to deal with an idiot like this;Just ignore them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

An Nigerian woman based in limerick wants her babies pps number changed on religious grounds because it contains the numbers 666, however Joan Burtons department is refusing to do this.

Tell her to use one of the other numbers she has for them

Because it creates a precedent and idiots may want designer numbers for all sorts of reasons.

Kindly fuck off, take your allocated number same as the rest of us and like it.

Why would it be a problem? Sure it doesn't matter what your PPS number is. It's just a mostly unique series of numbers and a letter.
    What would it matter if you got to pick your own?
    What if you want a number that's easier to remember?
    What if your PPS number is your abusive ex's birth date?

It makes hardly a note of difference so why are you so adamant your number should never be changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Why would it be a problem? Sure it doesn't matter what your PPS number is. It's just a mostly unique series of numbers and a letter.

It makes hardly a note of difference so why are you so adamant your number should never be changed?

It should never be changed once you've started to use it. Otherwise it could screw up all kinds of records. Your PPS number is the most important official number you'll ever have and the system is based on the assumption that it doesn't change.

Changing it for a baby, very soon after it's been issued might be different.

because the PPSN is in a particular format that includes a check digit and is understood and can be validated by every piece of software that records it. You think we should change all of this software because you cant remember it or you have assigned some special meaning to it? this is the most ridiculous thing i've heard today. and its been a trying day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Tell her the beast never answers the phone anyway.
    Tell her the beast was sold at the mart.
    Tell her that the Archangel Melodeon appeared to Joan Burton in a dream and told her that the beast changed its number a few years back.
    Tell her to FCUK off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Many Garda stations in Dublin have 666 in their phone numbers - make of that what you will! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement