Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood bashing Catholics yet again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I really enjoyed that film. Amazing script and a lot of great performances. I found it was more factual than emotive. It didn't bash the Church any more than it deserved to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sure what has the Christian/Catholic church ever done to deserve this? The leaders of the church have always been so upstanding and not guilty of any horrific crimes. My favourites are Rodrigo Borgia and Della Rovere (later becoming Alexander VI and Julius II if I remember correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

My relationship with God or whoever is my own. My belief in God doesn't hinge on what the church is up to. I go to Mass to keep myself humble and maintain my conversation with God.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Falthyron wrote: »
    Here ya go, for the sake of 'balance': The Church bashing on a popular film.

and much like the OP they didnt bother to watch the film before giving out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

and the new sitcom The Real O'Neales is starting this year, a sitcom making fun of Roman Catholic priests and the religion, an absolute disgrace,

Never heard of that, I must try that show out some time. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Boardsies are still the most easily trolled population on the Internet, I see

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

timthumbni wrote: »
    As for Curb if you ever bothered to actually watch the show the religion/people that is mostly laughed at throughout the shows are the Jews themselves. Being so interested in Palestine you should seek out the episode where Larry is having sex with a Palestinian woman who rather loudly shouts that she is going to "f@ck the Jew out of him"

That scene would kill 2 birds with one stone for you.

Reminder for me to rewatch that ep. Nice one!

Thanks, OP, for bringing Curb back into my life. Some good really has come of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lol at a poster called 'RightIsRight' getting all het up about a film documenting the exposure of a pretty massive Wrong. Is exposing wrongs not Right, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't see the film as Catholic bashing, it exposes abuse which was covered up and I've yet to see a Catholic on this site defend the cover ups.

Although it remains to be seen if this thread will run it's course without a dig or two at us Catholics, the A&A crowd love threads like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The op has a point. Fairly substantial rumours of high level pedophillia in the UK, and not a sausage from Hollywood or the British film industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Don't see the film as Catholic bashing, it exposes abuse which was covered up and I've yet to see a Catholic on this site defend the cover ups.

Although it remains to be seen if this thread will run it's course without a dig or two at us Catholics, the A&A crowd love threads like this.

I hear they masturbate to threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I hear they masturbate to threads like this.

What does A&A stand for????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The catholic church basically controlled the censorship of Hollywood until the seventies, hays code etc, but that of course dosent fit with the jewish conspiracy theory agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

No one could bash the RCC on child abuse if it had enforced its own gospel values on its priests and bishops (Matthew 18:6) as much as it enforced its anti human sexual agenda on women, gays and anyone who actually enjoyed sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

The op has a point. Fairly substantial rumours of high level pedophillia in the UK, and not a sausage from Hollywood or the British film industry.
    They don't have a point in deeming this Catholic bashing. A Hollywood film is never going to be made about events in regional cities and towns in the UK. As for the British film industry, give it time in fairness. I don't think filmmakers there will stay away from such subject matter. I read a review recently of a film from a couple of years back about a Muslim girl in the north of England having to go on the run from her family because the men were going to kill her for having a white boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The catholic church basically controlled the censorship of Hollywood until the seventies, hays code etc, but that of course dosent fit with the jewish conspiracy theory agenda.

Did they? I never heard of the Catholic Church as an institution having much sway in any industry in the USA considering they've always been outnumbered by Protestants, the William Hays you speak of for instance was Presbyterian.

In regards to a Jewish conspiracy, sure Jews are over represented on a per capita basis in Hollywood but I wouldn't view that as being a bad thing, they're just good business people and always have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Substantial rumours are not facts. The Catholic Church abuse scandal(s) are a matter of fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I saw it today. The only publicity I heard was an interview with Mark Ruffalo. Considering this sort of thing could easily slip into unrelenting grandstanding, it manages not to. It's a human story about the legwork involved in journalism and it doesn't exactly cover the Boston Globe in glory all the time, either. As someone who is not a Catholic, and the same time not keen on blaming the church for everything under the sun, it didn't strike me in any way as Catholic bashing.

If you've seen it, and found it "anti-Catholic", or whatever, you're part of that small minority who drafts memos on behalf of the Department of the Perpetually Offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

The clergyman slating The Life Of Brian, in that famous clip with the Monty Python guys, was Anglican, and the Hays Code was not a Catholic Church initiative, so I don't know why those examples are being used.

The Catholic Church no doubt protested against The Life Of Brian (along with other christian churches), it did protest against The Last Temptation Of Christ (no doubt along with other christian churches) and Priest (not the recent enough film of that name but a British film from around 20 years ago about a gay Catholic priest - excellent film btw) and of course... The Passion Of St. Tibulus :pac: but whether it protested against any films or not isn't of particular relevance imo, since this film is not anti Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Nobody sticks up for the paedophile these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nobody sticks up for the paedophile these days.

Yep. Most of the senior BBC staff have retired.

Kev W wrote: »
    Substantial rumours are not facts. The Catholic Church abuse scandal(s) are a matter of fact.

They are a "matter of fact" because of tribunals and investigations. The UK doesn't investigate. ( And the tribunals are quasi judicial bodies, not courts).

The clue is in the question. The media in Boston or wherever investigated and exposed the massive Catholic Church child abuse in their area. This is simply a film about those issues. The yanks are interested as its their back door. If/ when the rumours about child abuse in the uk are confirmed then I'm sure the British/uk film industry may follow it.

Hollywood, probably not as why would the yanks be interested? The op should just be glad the film makers didn't concentrate on abuse within the Irish Catholic Church.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't think Hollywood engage in "Catholic bashing." IMO the church deserves all the criticism it gets.

timthumbni wrote: »
    The clue is in the question. The media in Boston or wherever investigated and exposed the massive Catholic Church child abuse in their area. This is simply a film about those issues. The yanks are interested as its their back door. If/ when the rumours about child abuse in the uk are confirmed then I'm sure the British/uk film industry may follow it.

Hollywood, probably not as why would the yanks be interested? The op should just be glad the film makers didn't concentrate on abuse within the Irish Catholic Church.

The rumours about child abuse in the UK will never be "confirmed" because the ruling classes won't investigate itself.
    The Catholic Church was investigated after its power waned but not before.

The rumours about child abuse in the UK will never be "confirmed" because the ruling classes won't investigate itself.
    The Catholic Church was investigated after its power waned but not before.

So you think the British press wouldn't look into it.????? If the story is there they will eventually find it. The U.K. Press investigate a lot more thoroughly than the Irish press imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Some people will say this is fair game however I have yet to see a Hollywood film showing the horrors of the occupation of Palestine.

Also how much of the Films take is being donated to the victims of clerical abuse?

Hollywood will never go near the Palestine situation simply because America is Israels' biggest ally financially and and militarily. An honest movie about Palestine probably wouldn't go down well with American audiences...

GerB40 wrote: »
    Hollywood will never go near the Palestine situation simply because America is Israels' biggest ally financially and and militarily. An honest movie about Palestine probably wouldn't go down well with American audiences...

Well add to that the American public are not that interested in Palestine, nor anywhere else in the world that isn't America.

What does anyone actually mean by "Hollywood" anyway? There are plenty of good documentary films about Palestine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I don't like censorship and I believe Hollywood and the rest of the media are very selective in what they will touch.

I don't see anything that controversial about this statement, your unlikely to see a mainstream Hollywood film produced thats actually properly negative to Israeli/Israeli actions, look at a film like Munich (Spielberg) it adds a lot of moralizing and was criticized by Zionist groups for this but I'd argue its very much a whitewash as it leaves out perhaps the most important incident where one of the assassination teams kills an innocent man and it humanizes death squads by placing them in a moral quandary (which the participants themselves say they didn't have). .

Similarly even though sexism is a big deal in Hollywood at the minute their won't be a film based on an overly powerful producer with a seedy reputation in relation to young starlets (H W).
    Or despite child abuse being a big problem in Hollywood your not going to see a biopic on that either
    I just question the motives behind this film.

I'd disagree with this, its simply that Hollywood produces a subset of films that are award bate that are socially progressive but actually very safe.
    A decade (or more) ago this would have been a genuinely challenging worthwhile film, now the CC Church is a safe target/topic, similarly for films like Milk (gay rights) Lesbian relationships (Carol), now you do get exceptions like Philadelphia where Hollywood leads the way but its rare.

Take the examples I mentioned above, in ten years or so time once a lot of the principal players involved in the seediness have died I can see films being made about those issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

OP has to be trolling.

Advertisement