Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Election - Feb 26th Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    This is exactly why I don't vote.
    Then you've kind of given up your right to give out about the government. You should at least go through the process so you're aware of whats going on. Voting is the least a citizen can do, as citizens we do feck all, we are pretty flippant with our governance really, we're like absentee management, we pay no attention to whats going on, then complain when we don't know what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

44% FG? On an online forum? Well isn't this interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Actually shocked that Fine Gael is leading the poll on here at 43% after 100+ people.

FG get my first preference, Labour 2 and Independent 3 - I don't think the country has any other option then giving the government another term - they possible alternatives are genuinely frightening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

What's sickening me is the emergence of the clones: party hacks who mouth the cliches of the manifesto with great confidence and fake friendliness and sweep off with an entourage of bag carriers, tally men and relatives as if they had any clue about running a business let alone a country. They actually think they are qualified to be legislators because of their surname. FCUK off.

I will vote for whoever I think will best cut tax and balance the budget, in that order. FG are far from perfect but lacking a right wing alternative they are the best pick.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Actually shocked that Fine Gael is leading the poll on here at 43% after 100+ people.

FG get my first preference, Labour 2 and Independent 3 - I don't think the country has any other option then giving the government another term - they possible alternatives are genuinely frightening!

It's surprising. I have a feeling FG may do a Tory in the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

ScumLord wrote: »
    Then you've kind of given up your right to give out about the government. You should at least go through the process so you're aware of whats going on. Voting is the least a citizen can do, as citizens we do feck all, we are pretty flippant with our governance really, we're like absentee management, we pay no attention to whats going on, then complain when we don't know what's going on.
    Democracy is only the illusion that we have a say, a political placebo to appease the hoi-pollo IMHO

I am aware of what's going on, I'm just apathetic about it all.

I do vote in referendums, general elections I couldn't be arsed.

I don't see the point in voting just because I can, if I feel there is no candidate/party worthy of the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Sorry, but WHO are Atari Jaguar?

Some enlightenment please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am voting for Labour tactically in an attempt to prevent the Fianna Fail candidate from taking the seat. I'll give number 2 to Sinn Fein. If Fianna Fail get back into office then it will be a national disgrace and the people deserve every misery piled upon them.

Fine Gael and Labour did not cause all of the mess and problems, Fianna Fail did that when they stole €200 billion from the Irish taxpayers and used it to bailout their corrupt millionaire cronies. The fact that Fianna Fail exists is a disgrace, when all the previous Government TDs should be in jail for treason and if we had the Death Penalty I'd gladly watch Cowen, Ahern and Martin swing from the gallows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'm surprised it's been so civil thus far.

*gets popcorn*
    Indeed, full of rational political arguments.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Fine Gael and Labour did not cause all of the mess and problems, Fianna Fail did that when they stole €200 billion from the Irish taxpayers and used it to bailout their corrupt millionaire cronies. The fact that Fianna Fail exists is a disgrace, when all the previous Government TDs should be in jail for treason and if we had the Death Penalty I'd gladly watch Cowen, Ahern and Martin swing from the gallows.
    and there it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I remember going through the profiles of the candidates at the last general election. (the very exciting life that I lead)

Education was a standard answer for most candidates, some impressive, some mediocre, some meh and the odd one from out the country with 'Being a man of the world made me far too busy for such things as education'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Repealing the 8th is an important issue for me in this election and since FG and FF seem to be doing everything in their power to avoid even having a conversation about it, I'm not interested in giving a vote to either of them. Will have to research the other candidates in my constituency to see where the rest of them stand on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in voting just because I can, if I feel there is no candidate/party worthy of the vote.

I agree. Voting simply to exercise a right to do so is a nonsense. As is this ridiculous notion that if you don't vote you have no right to have an opinion on the outcome.

If the choice was between Stalin and Hitler some clowns would still be queuing up to pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It's surprising. I have a feeling FG may do a Tory in the next election.

If they done that it would be an even bigger shock than the Tory win. The first past the post suits getting an overall majority in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

PBP/AAA are running two candidates in my constituency - neither of whom have a hope in hell of winning a seat. They'll get my 1 and 2 though. After that, I'll probably give third and fourth preferences to SF and maybe Labour.

"What about this SF crowd?", he asked.

> "What about them!?", they roared

"Gerry (I call him Gerry) promised to fight for social justice and a united Ireland"

>"How"

"All sorts of schemes that sound crazy now but just wait u see"

>"Let's do it!"

*That'll show 'em*, he thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

cena wrote: »
    Dolphins barn is a long time gone. Ireland is the only country in Europe without a full time rink. Cause of that we can't compete in international games etc for the country.
    I thought you were joking earlier :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Just voted there and SF get my no.1 ind will get no 2

I cannot believe that FG is leading this pole are people completely stupid/forgetful/naive?!?!?

FF and Fg are more or less the same cancerious parties, labour has show its true colours and is finished, the greens well are green and a waste of time so its time for something new asap, if ff/fg keep getting back into power this country is fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sinn Fein haven't a hope in hell in getting into power, and I would never vote for a party led by Adams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I notice joan said she inherited a room!!!

good speech writing, cos if she said she inherited a house, that would put people thinking of their own house and become mad at her.

Rooms are easy to fix. Im impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Enda making out how the people are too stupid to understand future budget surpluses.

The man who hides from the people to avoid making himself look stupid when asked a question his advisers have not answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

canhefixit wrote: »

I cannot believe that FG is leading this pole are people completely stupid/forgetful/naive?!?!?

FF and Fg are more or less the same cancerious parties, labour has show its true colours and is finished, the greens well are green and a waste of time so its time for something new asap, if ff/fg keep getting back into power this country is fcuked

So, what is it about SF policy that impressed you over the status quo?

Labour will be fine, completly and utterly fine, their core base was rocked but not as bad as others. People are writing them off, Im not.

kupus wrote: »
    Labour will be fine, completly and utterly fine, their core base was rocked but not as bad as others. People are writing them off, Im not.
    This. My money's on a FG/Lab government.

If they done that it would be an even bigger shock than the Tory win. The first past the post suits getting an overall majority in the UK.
    Yes, I should clarify I ment % of votes not seats.
    Sorry, but WHO are Atari Jaguar?

Some enlightenment please.
    http://videogamecritic.com/images/systems/jag.jpg

Any more questions feel free to ask.

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »

Their problem is that it wasn't just their core base that pushed them up to 37 seats. These "other" voters will desert them this time, (bringing them back to 20 seats?) as will some of their core base, (dropping them into the low teens or even single figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Last time out AH polled like this

Fianna Fail 38 7.74%
    Fine Gael 134 27.29%
    Labour 136 27.70%
    Green 8 1.63%
    Sinn Fein 78 15.89%
    People Before Profit 15 3.05%
    Independent 38 7.74%
    A. N. Other 5 1.02%
    Spoil Your Vote 39 7.94%

I'm sure Boards will be as indicative of Irish Society this rime too.

Still funny.

Those floating voters know what side their bread is buttered, As much as they shout about strike actions, entitlements and this that and the other, They wont rock the boat, cos theyve had it relativity easy compared to other groups.

They will go down, but not the wipe out people are thinking. 25-30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Why Do We Fall

canhefixit wrote: »

FG have shown to be no where near as shady as FF. The latter are criminals. Actual criminals. The former have done a job that was always going to be thankless, but if that's the worse that can be levelled at them they haven't done too badly.

FG have surprised me in no way in their policies. Labour, who I've voted for since I turned 18, have disappointed me on the other hand.

So for me that means my preferences are being reversed for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I wonder will Enda Kennys balls drop and will he do a live debate this time, or will he continue to read out speeches prepared by his spin doctors. He's a spineless little gombeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Surprised by how well FG are doing in the vote and online in general. I won't be voting for them but I think that they could poll very well and they might only need the support of one other party to get back into power. It could be Labour again, I suspect, depending on how bad they poll.
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    or will he continue to read out speeches prepared by his spin doctors.

Every leader does that. I would like to see him face up to VB this time round. Ditto for Adams who keeps running away from VB like a coward. I don't get why Enda is still avoiding VB. He has gone toe to toe with him before and he survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Renua, Labour and FF are at the bottom for me. FG or SD maybe, things have improved with FG so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Berserker wrote: »

Every leader does that. I would like to see him face up to VB this time round. Ditto for Adams who keeps running away from VB like a coward. I don't get why Enda is still avoiding VB. He has gone toe to toe with him before and he survived.

I don't think Vincent Browne is taking party in the election debate this year.

I wonder will Enda Kennys balls drop and will he do a live debate this time, or will he continue to read out speeches prepared by his spin doctors. He's a spineless little gombeen.

He's not a good debater and he obviously recognises this as a weakness. He would be foolish to expose himself to a vote losing performance (as he did against Bertie Ahern all those years ago) when he has nothing to gain by taking part. Doesn't make him spineless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

How so, the boom is back. Makes no odds who get in, we are back at 2003 all over again. Construction is back in full swing in Dublin. Modified cars are all over the place with boy racers back on the streets, I feel like I'm 21 all over again.

Pubs and clubs are packed out all weekend like never before.

Don't know about that. A health system in ****e, a lack of affordable housing, homeless crisis. And construction certainly isn't back in full swing with banks still somewhat cagey to lend. Things are still fragile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

He's not a good debater and he obviously recognises this as a weakness. He would be foolish to expose himself to a vote losing performance (as he did against Bertie Ahern all those years ago) when he has nothing to gain by taking part. Doesn't make him spineless.

He is spineless. He hides away and lets his cabinet do all his talking for him - he's the invisible man.

If he feels he's done such a great job for his country, come out and say so. Surely he should have enough cajones as the leader of a nation to at least face us and open his mouth during an election debate. Defend your policies and tell the nation why you should continue the great job you've been doing so far. If not, why not?

I find it disconcerting how little he's ever seen or heard, given his position as leader.

It's sad that FG are the only real option this election but I'm hoping that the Social Democrats can put in a strong performance in this and a even stronger one in 2021. Hopefully they can build in next few years into a credible alternative. I look forward to the day when one of FF and FG is not in power. The country needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Don't know about that. A health system in ****e, a lack of affordable housing, homeless crisis. And construction certainly isn't back in full swing with banks still somewhat cagey to lend. Things are still fragile.

Hasn't that been nearly omnipresent at this stage?

He is spineless. He hides away and lets his cabinet do all his talking for him - he's the invisible man.

If he feels he's done such a great job for his country, come out and say so. Surely he should have enough cajones as the leader of a nation to at least face us and open his mouth during an election debate. Defend your policies and tell the nation why you should continue the great job you've been doing so far. If not, why not?

I find it disconcerting how little he's ever seen or heard, given his position as leader.

Yeah, we need a man of the calibre of Tyson Fury to run the country.

• Advertisement

Hasn't that been nearly omnipresent at this stage?

I suppose so but FG have utterly failed what they promised in the health part of their 5 point plan. I'd like to see a party deal with the HSE once and for all. It's a shambles. 2nd worst health system in Europe.

http://theliberal.ie/state-of-poor-healthcare-irelands-healthcare-system-the-second-worst-in-the-eu-according-to-latest-survey/

Also Eurostat released a report today saying we have 2nd highest number of cancer deaths in EU. Must check if there is correlation between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yeah, we need a man of the calibre of Tyson Fury to run the country.

Yeah, because defending your record as Taoiseach = Heavyweight boxing champ with foot in mouth disease.

What's he afraid of anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I suppose so but FG have utterly failed what they promised in the health part of their 5 point plan. I'd like to see a party deal with the HSE once and for all. It's a shambles. 2nd worst health system in Europe.

What does "dealing with the HSE once and for all" entail, in your opinion, and how would you make it work? Genuine question.

I have my own opinions on what could be done to sort the HSE out as well, unfortunately they'd result in every union in the place going out on strike in reaction to what i'd propose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭cena

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I thought you were joking earlier :eek:

I don't joke about things like this.

Amazing how the "spineless little gombeen" has been elected to the Dáil since 1975, been democratically elected by his party to become leader, brought FG back from the brink of chaos rebuilding the party to win 76 seats in 2011... the most in FG's 78-year history - becoming the largest party in the Dáil for the first time in FG history..... not to mention the fact that he is odds on to become the only Fine Gael leader to serve as Taoiseach after two successive general elections.

He might be a "gombeen" but is among the most successful political leaders in the history of the state, by far and away the most successful Fine Gael leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Amazing how the "spineless little gombeen" has been elected to the Dáil since 1975, been democratically elected by his party to become leader, brought FG back from the brink of chaos rebuilding the party to win 76 seats in 2011... the most in FG's 78-year history - becoming the largest party in the Dáil for the first time in FG history..... not to mention the fact that he is odds on to become the only Fine Gael leader to serve as Taoiseach after two successive general elections.

He might be a "gombeen" but is among the most successful political leaders in the history of the state, by far and away the most successful Fine Gael leader.

Had absolutely nothing to do with reactionary voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You do realise that five years is nowhere near enough to turn the health system around, don't you? Also, FG went into power when Ireland was in a dreadful state financially. Their primary focus had to be on getting the country back on it's feet. We had no money and you need money to fix things.

If they get another term and they probably will, then they will be in a position to put the wheels of change in motion w.r.t. health care. It is going to be really difficult to changes things though. The unions will make life extremely difficult for them. The housing crisis is something that the next government can and probably will address. I expect to see houses, poorly built no doubt, springing up all round the place.

What does "dealing with the HSE once and for all" entail, in your opinion, and how would you make it work? Genuine question.

I have my own opinions on what could be done to sort the HSE out as well, unfortunately they'd result in every union in the place going out on strike in reaction to what i'd propose :D

From a high level bring in independent external consultants specialising in process improvements and finding efficiencies. Put a major project together. Cut the waste in middle/upper management and get more people on the front line. Yeah your right, that would probably end in strike :-)

While I kind of agree with you, It is good that he recognises that hes a sh1te talker and debater, and lets others do the talking for him.

We saw enough of bertie and before him albert and before him charlie do a lot of talking, most of it thru their holes.

As regards the health. Its a disgrace and a sham, day after day I keep hoping I never get sick here cos if i do im f88ked. plain and simple.

You need someone that has bigger balls than maggie thatcher to tackle the HSE and the JUSTICE industries.

Ireland has nobody like that., so it will forever and a day remain the same.
    Too many chiefs, too many lined pockets and too many fingers in the pies.

• Advertisement

EazyD wrote: »
    Had absolutely nothing to do with reactionary voting.
    Those are the facts about the man as a politician - to get personal about the man Enda Kenny or any other political leader is disgusting.

He is far from a "spineless little gombeen" ... he is obviously a very smart man to get himself elected to the highest office in the land.

Advertisement