Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Election - Feb 26th Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Give me poll options, I'll give you a poll. At least I think I can add a poll.
    FG
    FF
    Labour
    IRA
    Pie in the sky party
    Independent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 333 ✭✭BigJackC

cena wrote: »
    no one unless that they offer to help in getting a full time ice rink built in Ireland

There's a decent synthetic ice rink in Gorey. There used to be a year round ice rink in Dolphins Barn but it was only really busy over the Christmas period and went out of business.

No demand for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

smash wrote: »
    FG
    FF
    Labour
    IRA
    Pie in the sky party
    Independent

I think you spelt Sinn Fein wrong.

Is there anything else that needs to be added beside Atari Jaguar? I don't think I can edit polls once I add them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Feminazi Party for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think you spelt Sinn Fein wrong.

Is there anything else that needs to be added beside Atari Jaguar? I don't think I can edit polls once I add them.

"I intend to spoil my vote" option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Just had a look on RTE website at the list of candidates and their Bio pages. Some of them have video messages. Just had a look at a couple at random. But this one:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/candidates/754217-catherine-ardagh/

Was the tele-prompter not working? That's fairly unprofessional I'm afraid...

Just had a look on RTE website at the list of candidates and their Bio pages. Some of them have video messages. Just had a look at a couple at random. But this one:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/candidates/754217-catherine-ardagh/

Was the tele-prompter not working? That's fairly unprofessional I'm afraid...
    Michael Healy Rae has his own election song!

Michael Healy Rae has his own election song!

He's a bit Marmite but at least what you see is what you get unlike a lot of the other shower. On the other hand, would the country be better off being served by 166 (or whatever the new number is) Michael Healy Raes? Perish the thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He's a bit Marmite but at least what you see is what you get unlike a lot of the other shower. On the other hand, would the country be better off being served by 166 (or whatever the new number is) Michael Healy Raes? Perish the thought!

he epitomises the parochial parish-pump politics that are part of what is wrong with national government in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Poll has been added. Get voting.

he epitomises the parochial parish-pump politics that are part of what is wrong with national government in ireland.

You're right, but the point I'm making is that they're all the same when it comes to being parochial. With him, he'll tell you he is whereas most of the others go with the holier than thou attitude "of course we're not parochial".

It would be great if we could have a cabinet made up of smart people, each being an expert in their area of ministry and who make all of their decisions based on the good of the country and not on geographical/ re-election concerns. I've no idea how that could be achieved. Maybe if TDs could only serve one or two terms in office? List systems etc. all have their flaws as does ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Not sure I'll bother voting at all, they're all as bad as each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Not sure I'll bother voting at all, they're all as bad as each other.

Get off your arse and vote, vote for people you don't dislike, do something with it just don't do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Hurtbuthealing

Poll has been added. Get voting.

Poll added excludes PBP, AAA, Social Democrats, Greens, Renua, and Independent Alliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

FG
    FF
    Labour
    IRA
    Pie in the sky party
    Independent

Should the Independents not be marked 'Pie in the sky parties MK II' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Hurtbuthealing

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Should the Independents not be marked 'Pie in the sky parties MK II' ?

I would hardly call people like Stephen Donnelly a pie in the sky merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

Labour only had one job to do, it was not to pass laws, nor even to get us lower taxes.. Just one small job..

It was to sit in at cabinet meetings and make sure the FG did not give too much away to the top 1% and make them ever richer then they all ready are..

But they let this top 1% use NAMA and IBRC as their personal piggy bank, to cheery pick all the best parts at very low prices, and then sell them at very high prices..

And Joan has the cheek to ask for votes...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

How will you vote in the General Election?
    Left. Fine Gael/Fianna Fáil have had their time. We need change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Even though I'm still registered in Ireland I won't be heading home to vote in this one unfortunately. Would probably have given my #1 to Katherine Zappone (IND) though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I am voting Independent. I support Mick Wallace on the Garda penalty points, NAMA and opposing the Swedish model. I'm also increasingly anti-party as a concept, because of the whip system stiffling internal party debate and interfering with the link between public opinion and the Oireachtas.

Wexford has suffered decades of economic neglect under successive governments. Independents couldnt change that because the govt has the biggest majority in the history of the State. Next time its likely they will be needed, allowing concessions to be wrung.

Poll added excludes PBP, AAA, Social Democrats, Greens, Renua, and Independent Alliance.

Well I did suggest "Pie in the sky party"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I like stand-up comedy.
    When are Sinn Fein giving their plans for the economy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I am voting Independent. I support Mick Wallace on the Garda penalty points, NAMA and opposing the Swedish model. I'm also increasingly anti-party as a concept, because of the whip system stiffling internal party debate and interfering with the link between public opinion and the Oireachtas.

Wexford has suffered decades of economic neglect under successive governments. Independents couldnt change that because the govt has the biggest majority in the history of the State. Next time its likely they will be needed, allowing concessions to be wrung.

and here we go back to the parochial politics.

You know who else could change it? The people of Wexford. But they want someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Has Wexford really suffered decades of neglect. It is one of Ireland's wealthiest counties.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cso-household-survey-1911617-Jan2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭cena

BigJackC wrote: »
    There's a decent synthetic ice rink in Gorey. There used to be a year round ice rink in Dolphins Barn but it was only really busy over the Christmas period and went out of business.

No demand for it.

Dolphins barn is a long time gone. Ireland is the only country in Europe without a full time rink. Cause of that we can't compete in international games etc for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

shocked at the FG turnout in the polls and the low FF votes.

FF can do FF policy better than FG can do FF policy.
    If we're going to be fcuked over we might as well do ourselves properly

We should start a list of things that FG will give to DOB if they get another term in power.

1. Irish Water.
    2. Another Mobile Phone Licence
    3. More Tax Write Downs
    4. Even more of those special low interest rate loans @1.7%
    5. HSE hospital patients sent to his private hospital "so as to reduce the waiting list"

...Things that make you go hmmm ...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/companies/banks-write-off-over-300m-in-three-deals-with-denis-o-brien-1.1830533

Joan must have nodded off for a minute and missed all this.. Those pesky Cabinet Colleagues never woke her...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

satguy wrote: »
    At last,, we can make Labour pay for all the wrongs FG did to us,, We all know that FG only look after rich people and Dinny, (mostly Dinny).

If I was a rich guy, I would say FG did a great job, If I was Dinny, I would say FG did a bloody great job,..But Labour did nothing, absolutely nothing..
    Labour only had one job to do, it was not to pass laws, nor even to get us lower taxes.. Just one small job..

It was to sit in at cabinet meetings and make sure the FG did not give too much away to the top 1% and make them ever richer then they all ready are..

But they let this top 1% use NAMA and IBRC as their personal piggy bank, to cheery pick all the best parts at very low prices, and then sell them at very high prices..

And Joan has the cheek to ask for votes...
    We should start a list of things that FG will give to DOB if they get another term in power.

1. Irish Water.
    3. More Tax Write Downs
    5. HSE hospital patients sent to his private hospital "so as to reduce the waiting list"

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/companies/banks-write-off-over-300m-in-three-deals-with-denis-o-brien-1.1830533

Joan must have nodded off for a minute and missed all this.. Those pesky Cabinet Colleagues never woke her...
    Is this going to be one of "those" threads? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cena wrote: »
    Dolphins barn is a long time gone. Ireland is the only country in Europe without a full time rink. Cause of that we can't compete in international games etc for the country.

There was a full sized rink in Dundalk for years and it closed because not enough people used it. Supply and demand, and there's just not enough demand here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭cena

There was a full sized rink in Dundalk for years and it closed because not enough people used it. Supply and demand, and there's just not enough demand here.

Sure tried to bring a pro team into dundalk and crippled them selves spending money trying this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Get rid of the Civil War parties!!!

Vote Independent!

We can only rebuild through Chaos! :D

Should we not talk about the Toxic relationship between FG and DOB ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Huh, is it that time already? Time for the five-yearly rant about making Michael O'Leary dictator for life?

I'm voting for David Quinn. Keep the hole in Holy Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

How will you vote in the General Election?

Personally I am leaning Independent as I believe backbenchers have little or no power because of the stringent whip system we have in contrast to the UK and US.
    The UK has a whip system similar to our own. US politicians are subject to the whims of their sponsors - corporate funding.

At least the whip system is responsible for stable government. Everybody has to compromise, you don't like it you have plenty of options.
    1) Leave the party.
    2) Campaign within your party to change their position - if you're a half decent politician with the requisite skills this shouldn't be too difficult.
    3) Shut up and put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

1. Irish Water.
    3. More Tax Write Downs

You do mean debt write offs. Now I am pissed off with some of the DOB wok as the rest of us but (and I know it is a pesky little detail) if you were to go and see any company/person who acquires a business with debts there more than often get written off by quiet a bit why else would they buy them

You do mean debt write offs.

Write offs, Write downs ,, it's all the same.. It's still state owned assets changing hands, for buttons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Boom time for funeral attendances this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

At last,, we can make Labour pay for all the wrongs FG did to us,, We all know that FG only look after rich people and Dinny, (mostly Dinny).

If I was a rich guy, I would say FG did a great job, If I was Dinny, I would say FG did a bloody great job,..But Labour did nothing, absolutely nothing..

Amazing people swallow this rubbish when lower earners were removed from the tax base and pay little to no tax while nothing was done for middle and higher earners.

The less well off came out best after the last budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I don't vote :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

100% voting for getting Enda back in. he deserves a second stint and i hope they get it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm surprised it's been so civil thus far.

*gets popcorn*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

42%??? Didn't know Boards was so Blueshirt-dominated.

I haven't seen much about this Atari Jaguar party. Can anyone give me a link to their manifesto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

valoren wrote: »
    Vote Yes for Jobs.

he died in 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think FG basically did what needed to be done, last year was a pretty good year for a lot of Irish businesses. So part of me thinks I'd vote for them this time around.

The other part of me wants to roll the dice on SF, everyone else has had a go and just did what needed to be done to appease the people, no matter what the long term cost. I just have big doubts they'd be able to run a country, and would quickly be in the same position as every other government once they see what it's like from the other side of the curtain.

There's no party I would want to vote for though, it's a matter of choosing the least worst option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I will vote for whoever is likely to take the least amount of tax off me. I am one of those on so-called 'average' income and I pay through the teeth for everything. I am also paying through taxes for the 'entitled' brigade who seem to think that money grows on trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's no party I would want to vote for though, it's a matter of choosing the least worst option.
    This is exactly why I don't vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I will vote for whoever is likely to take the least amount of tax off me. I am one of those on so-called 'average' income and I pay through the teeth for everything. I am also paying through taxes for the 'entitled' brigade who seem to think that money grows on trees.

Sinn Fein are right up your alley so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ye might tell Mick to pay his bills as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement