Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic State militants planning for 'large-scale' attacks on Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We were chatting about this in the village market once. Old lady assert, if they come here we will fight them! I reminded her that Hitler did not invade and neither did the Romans,. The Vikings had a go but gave up.. One of Hitlers issues was that he could not find a viable road system here which hampered any invasion...Having got hopelessly lost many times in the country lanes of West Cork gives truth to that idea. The Nazis planned amphibians ( read online) but after that they had no idea how to proceed.. BUT Dublin, Limerick , Cork are a different matter and yes, what happened in Paris? This is not a conquering bid . but a vicious destructive illogical force.

I do hope all the naysayers of Daesh attacking Ireland are correct, but the fact is that we stand for a lot of what they're against. Also it is known that there are currently cells that operate here. And before someone says, "ara, be grand, we know about them", some of the Paris attackers were known to authorities and that didn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

They are a tiny minority that are using propaganda to big themselves up, they will do small scale attacks at random, I think Ireland will be targeted in one shape or another, 100% as its deemed a safe place, but other small countries will also be hit not just us, the point is to cause fear in as many countries as possible. Which they seem to be doing, if your worried best thing to do it take up arms as best you can to protect yourself, learn some self defence, esp if you are female, they hate girls.. apparently if a woman kills a Jihadi they go straight to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nice sentiment, but me and the Missus are having serious doubts about the two weeks we booked in syria. The brochures looked lovely, but feck it. We're thinking of changing it to a week in Lanzarote.

There are some great last minute deals in Kabul and Fallujah I believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

coolbeans wrote: »
    It's not really warfare though is it. I live in London and despite all their meddling in Iraq and Libya I've more chance of being killed crossing the road than hurt in a terrorist attack. Despite all the hyperbole we're the safest most secure generation that ever existed. The actual threat from these losers is less than miniscule.

Until they get a dirty bomb or whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think Ireland would be a target. Imagine the headlines worldwide if something like All Ireland Finals day was hit with a bomb/gunmen as in Paris. It would rock the country to the core. Exactly the reaction these people are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I think Ireland would be a target. Imagine the headlines worldwide if something like All Ireland Finals day was hit with a bomb/gunmen as in Paris. It would rock the country to the core. Exactly the reaction these people are looking for.

yup, either that or sinking a packed ferry half way across the Irish sea some night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I wonder what the governments plan is for an event like this. Relying on the raf to come over is just utter stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

eeguy wrote: »
    And decades of experience against the IRA and gangland criminals and an army who are constantly involved in UN missions around the world.

Those people can be negociated with

ISIS cowards want to die and take as many people with them as they can

Hard to prepare for that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 333 ✭✭BigJackC

I do hope all the naysayers of Daesh attacking Ireland are correct, but the fact is that we stand for a lot of what they're against. Also it is known that there are currently cells that operate here. And before someone says, "ara, be grand, we know about them", some of the Paris attackers were known to authorities and that didn't matter.

It would be foolish to think that there are not already some ISIS headbanging in Ireland. A tiny minority of the Muslim community resident here, but that's all it takes.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-hate-westerners-we-are-isis-chilling-words-of-irish-muslim-teens-to-cleric-31425033.html

As for Europe wide:
    Isil exploiting migrant routes to smuggle jihadists back to Britain using fake documentsIntelligence officials fear terror groups are increasingly exploiting the huge migrant flows to set up jihadist sleeper cells throughout Europe

It is feared sleeper cells are being established in the UK and across Europe having been sent back by their Isil commanders fully trained and with attack orders.

The strategy is being run out of Isil’s Syrian stronghold in Raqqa where would-be recruits are briefed and handed new identities.

It also means suspects who were under watch by the intelligence agencies suddenly vanish.

Isil jihadists are exploiting the migrant crisis to smuggle terrorists into Europe with fake passports they can then use to travel to the UK, British intelligence officials fear.

Islamic State in Iraq and Levant (Isil) is increasingly exploiting the huge migrant flows to slip jihadist cells through undetected to launch attacks in the UK and elsewhere.

• Con Coughlin: Isil is taking advantage of the EU’s incompetence

They are mainly travelling on fake Syrian or Iraqi passports which are now so sophisticated it is almost impossible to distinguish between genuine refugees and terror suspects.

The concerns will increase pressure on European leaders to get a grip onthe migrant crisis that is engulfing the EU.

It came as one of the EU’s most senior officials disclosed that six in 10 migrants arriving in Europe are economic migrants with no right to asylum.

Frans Timmermans, the first vice president of the European Commission, said that the majority of those coming to the EU are not fleeing war or persecution and that they should be deported.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/12123333/Refugee-routes-main-tactic-for-Isil-terrorists-to-get-in-to-Europe-and-launch-attacks-British-intelligence-officials-fear.html

It would be foolish to think that they wouldn't take full advantage of the current chaos. It is an open goal for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

buried wrote: »
    F**K these fundamentalist pigs. They're fascist trash who are totally bats in the head. If you start changing your life, where you want to live, where you want to visit, where you want to go etc just because this utter trash spout their utter f**king fascist, hyped, violent, propaganda gibberish then they've already won.

This. We have made a point on going camping in France this summer, okay it's not Syria but i'll be f u c ked if I let these savages dictate how I live my life.

Superhorse wrote: »
    This. We have made a point on going camping in France this summer, okay it's not Syria but i'll be f u c ked if I let these savages dictate how I live my life.

Going to the Euros? Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hey hey...that Muslim lad with the head gear, the beard, the long robe and the donegal jersey looks iffy...

French police have arrested a man carrying two guns at an entrance to a hotel at Disneyland Paris.

The man, reportedly aged 28 and not known to security services, was also discovered with a copy of the Koran and a box of ammunition, police said.

His bag reportedly triggered metal detectors as he entered the New York Hotel at the much-visited theme park.

France remains in a state of emergency following the deadly Islamist attacks in Paris in November last year.

So-called Islamic State (IS) said it carried out the co-ordinated assaults that left 130 people dead.

The man's girlfriend has also been arrested, but was unarmed, according to French media.

Disneyland Paris is among Europe's most popular tourist destinations. About 10 million people visited in 2014, according to the Global Attractions Attendance Report.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35431086

Thankfully they got him before he could kill anyone. It would be absolute carnage of young families if a terrorist hit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

BigJackC wrote: »
    Yes, Paris is known for its balmy weather during the winter. Good man.

Paris is known as the seat of government for a country with a colonial history in many Arab countries, and is bombing Syria today.

It doesn't take a genius to see why Daesh would target them.

Ireland doesn't make sense as a target.

Paris is known as the seat of government for a country with a colonial history in many Arab countries, and is bombing Syria today.

It doesn't take a genius to see why Daesh would target them.

Ireland doesn't make sense as a target.

Islamic State have already threatened to hit Ireland. While we may or may not be a top target, I don't know why you people are so desperate to make out that they could not potentially hit here. According to security analyst and academic Tom Clonan, the recent ISIS video indicates that Ireland and Irish citizens are priority targets for Isis militants.

Currently, we have a small muslim population but, per capita, we are one of the largest sources for European Jihadis going off to Syria and Iraq. Three Irish citizens have already been either seriously injured by ISIS. We are "evil westerners" in their eyes.
    IRELAND HAS BEEN found to have the second highest per capita rate of Muslims going to fight in Syria out of a survey of 25 countries.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-capita-study-jihadists-syria-islam-1655655-Sep2014/

I'm not "desperate" to do anything.

I'm pointing out that there are strong reasons, both historical and modern, why Daesh would attack France.

I can't see any similar reason to attack Ireland.

I'm not saying the risk is zero, just that we're less likely to be targeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm not "desperate" to do anything.

I'm pointing out that there are strong reasons, both historical and modern, why Daesh would attack France.

I can't see any similar reason to attack Ireland.

I'm not saying the risk is zero, just that we're less likely to be targeted.

Shannon airport refuelling American military aircraft, and it's been pointed out before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

seachto7 wrote: »
    Shannon airport refuelling American military aircraft, and it's been pointed out before.

And so far...mick Wallace and Clare daly are the biggest threat there :pac:

Though I could follow the logic why isis would target there

seachto7 wrote: »

At a guess I'd say Islamic militants are more concerned with countries that are actually bombing them than a fuel stop on the way home in a country they've barely heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

ISIS need to be defeated and fast. Not just in a military way either. The whole makeup of some of these countries is what is wrong. Add to this unneeded Western aggression like the Iraq war and you have a very dangerous situation.

Now, visualise the situation in these countries? I will make up a fictional country. The Islamic Emirate of Wadia has in recent years known nothing but war and turmoil. Bickering among its now deposed royal family lead to civil war with the country's economy collapsing. Soon, a communist government took over. A popular 'Islamic revolution' occurred in the mid 1980s and was lead by a deranged Mullah who has set up a personality cult. Of course, Wadia has oil. The West backed up and armed mad Mullah and the USSR sent weapons to the fragile communist administration. Soon, the USSR lost interest and the revolution took over in 1987. Many ex government members were executed, as were top army officers and all communist or royalists were rounded up and executed in the reign of terror from 1987 to 1990. The regime got more and more anti-Western especially since money to it was stopped after the West and the USSR improved their relationship. Meanwhile, the new 'Islamist' Wadi regime enforces a dress code for women, a beard code for men, bans alcohol and gambling, and imposes draconian laws to punish anyone who disobeys.

The world is more interested in the collapse of the Berlin wall, improved relationships between the 2 superpowers and the fall of Eastern European communism. Wadia like all its Middle Eastern neighbours is just seem as a petrol pump and while the world publically denounces its violent and repressive regime, they still buy oil from it and tolerate it.

Meanwhile, the regime gets madder and madder. Cinema, music, festivals, TV, radio, coffee, tea, certain foodtypes, soft drinks, most books, sport and the Koran in the native language all get banned. Each citizen is instructed to participate in marches denouncing America, Russia, Israel and Wadia's neighbours and posters of the mad Mullah or Emir of Wadia are everywhere. Sponsorship of violent terrorism is rife. Sunni Islam of the Salafist variety is the only legal religion and many Christians, Shias, Jews and atheists have been executed.

Meanwhile, the mad Mullah and his inner circle live it up and keep all the wealth for themselves. They disobey every law that would end up with the people getting executed. At the same time, the people live in fear and poverty. The country increasingly isolates itself from the world and bans tourism. Children are educated to hate certain countries. Suddenly, you have a massive disaffected youth with nothing to do (remember there is no alcohol, pubs, cinemas, sport, TV, radio, music, concerts, festivals, etc. and meetings are discouraged unless organised by the state) and are taught to hate the West. Many Wadian citizens are encouraged to join terrorist groups and Wadia shelters al Qaeda and other such groups and has many terrorist training camps on its soil.

Then, a major terrorist attack on the West takes place. Wadian natives have been identified as the major organisers. The US declares war on the Islamic Emirate of Wadia after the administration would not cooperate. As of 2015, 15 years of war have destroyed the country. The regime is long gone and the mad Mullah is dead but now ISIS have taken hold and the state is full of youths who have no hobbies (as they were banned) and who are full of hatred.

Now, Wadia does not exist. But it demonstrates the backstory of many Middle Eastern, Central Asian and North/West/East African countries. Societies have been stripped bare of culture by warped dictators and thus leave citizens bored. But nature does not like a vacuum and the hatred preached by governments in the middle east means that since drinking, sport and music are often banned, they exchange their beer glasses, footballs and guitars for guns, bombs and bullets. When the West invades and many civilians die, all the brainwashing the regime did guarantees genuine hatred and a quest for revenge.

This is what created ISIS and other groups. This mentality has to stop. Dictators have banned innocent passtimes and the West and other powers have meddled in places and have between them created a monster that has lead to ISIS and other extremism.

The ugly truth is that the only way for the west to stop islamic goverments taking over in these countries is by backing secular, right wing dictators. Democracy is not going to work for the likes of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Tunisia. They just haven't progressed far enough to really understand or embrace democracy as a valid form of government. It might take them 50, 100 or even 200 years to get there but in the here and now we really only have one option.

It kills me to say it but that whole region would be far more stable and the average citizen living there better off if Mubarak, Hussein, and Al-Assad et al were still firmly in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Let's not over-egg our perceived importance on the world stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

isis didn't really threaten us, they have a clever media team and irish internetters did as they were expected and made a big deal out of it. The hype might inspire lone wolf attacks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Everyone needs to walk around with portable explosive sniffers.
    We'd soon have all the farkers rounded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

bear1 wrote: »
    I wonder what the governments plan is for an event like this. Relying on the raf to come over is just utter stupidity.

No plan

Civil defence maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

They could collaborate with dissent republican elements who could help them in an attack against a common enemy.

The scenario of ISIS teaming up with dissident IRA and using Ireland as a base or hiding place when planning an attack on the UK is most likely already happening.

Are you off your rocker.....what a load of bollox. Yeah the dissidents are teaming up with ISIS. Jesus Christ iv heard it all now.

Is this the latest attempt by people to try and blame the dissidents for things???? if it is they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

mfceiling wrote:
    Hey hey...that Muslim lad with the head gear, the beard, the long robe and the donegal jersey looks iffy...

The Jihadi Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

eeguy wrote: »
    You'd be mad to give a f*ck about ISIS attacks.

You've a better chance being killed on the road than ever being involved in one of those attacks.

4 out of 5 people in the Bataclan theatre on the worse night of violence in France since WW2 got out unharmed and many didn't even know what they were running from.

The papers would be shocking boring if they had nothing to hype.

Ya lets ignore all the murders from the last few years, problems always disappear when they are ignored
    Sure whats 100+ Frenchies kicking the bucket, you're bang on the money there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

etoughguy wrote:
    Ya lets ignore all the murders from the last few years, problems always disappear when they are ignored Sure whats 100+ Frenchies kicking the bucket, you're bang on the money there

Well sitting at home worrying isn't going to do any good either is it? Why let anyone steal your happiness and peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Well sitting at home worrying isn't going to do any good either is it? Why let anyone steal your happiness and peace of mind

Believe you me I aint worrying one iota and no one steals my peace of mind, I was referring more to the persons flippant disregard for life

Advertisement