Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Motorcycle

Options
  • 20-04-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting my first bike fairly soon and just have a couple of
    questions if anyone can help..

1) when applying for a provisional license do i need an eyesight report even though I hold a full B license?

2) I was thinking of getting a Honda CBR 400 or similar, but has anyone ever heard of claims not being paid out due to the bike not being restricted?

Thank for any info guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

1.When did you get cat B licence? i got mine a few years ago and got my provisional A without an eye test or theory test as the one for my cat B was still valid.

2. I havent herd any claims not being paid for that reason, but It could happen, as technically if the bike is not 33bhp etc.. then your not technically licenced to drive it, no valid licence = void insurance.

MY advise is get the restrictor even a 400 restricted is enough to get you into trouble and give you a scare.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Thanks for the reply.

I got my eye sight report in 1999.

How long are they valid for?

Are the guards strict on restrictors or would they even know if a bike was restricted?

Cheers.

I think you might have to get another one, as far as i know it lasts 5 years.

There is no real way for them to tell, they use their disgression but it doesnt mean if a gard is having a bad day he wont take the bike off you and impound it. restrictor cert helps prevent this.

Also, whats the hurry to drive the bike un restricted? Its not gonna make a huge(if any) difference on the road. just the top end speed.Leave the speed for the track. otherwise you'll end up another statistic giving bikers a bad name in the news... and besides you'll spend most your time avoiding car's that can't see you or the bike.. just a huge target they have a subconscious need to hit.

and definatly get lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

OK thanks for the info.

Ill get the eyesight report so.

I just wanted to know the implications of the restrictor.
    The bike will be mainly for commuting so i dont plan on doing crazy speeds anyway.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shmall

Hi all,

My application for an A learner permit was returned to me today. I have a B learner permit due to expire in November which I included with the application. I thought that I didn't have to do another theory test or eye exam as I have my B learner permit so I just included that permit.

The reason given for refusal was a bit odd. They seemed to think I was trying to renew my B permit rather than get a new A permit:
    "Your full Licence does not expire until 8/11/09. Please note, your Licence may not be renewed more than 4 months prior to the expiry date"

Can you have an A and B learner permit simultaneously?

If you can, should I just post the same again? lol

Or am I mistaken and do I need to sit another theory test (for A permit) and eye exam and apply for my A permit independently of my B permit.

Phew, replacing the word "provisional" with "permit" is tiring. Oh yeah and how is it that the motor taxation office call it a "full Licence" even when they refuse to give me a learner permit.

Thanks
    Shmall

• Advertisement

Shmall wrote: »
    Hi all,

My application for an A learner permit was returned to me today. I have a B learner permit due to expire in November which I included with the application. I thought that I didn't have to do another theory test or eye exam as I have my B learner permit so I just included that permit.

The reason given for refusal was a bit odd. They seemed to think I was trying to renew my B permit rather than get a new A permit:
    "Your full Licence does not expire until 8/11/09. Please note, your Licence may not be renewed more than 4 months prior to the expiry date"

Can you have an A and B learner permit simultaneously?

If you can, should I just post the same again? lol

Or am I mistaken and do I need to sit another theory test (for A permit) and eye exam and apply for my A permit independently of my B permit.

Phew, replacing the word "provisional" with "permit" is tiring. Oh yeah and how is it that the motor taxation office call it a "full Licence" even when they refuse to give me a learner permit.

Thanks
    Shmall

As far as I'm aware you can only hold one learner permit at any given time.Sending my cat B with my application worked for my because I have a full (pink) Cat B license.

By full license they are referring to a Pink Cat B license obtained after submitting a competence cert obtained from a successful driving test. I think you interpreted what they said wrong.

your options are either apply,do your test & get a full B license then get a provisional A or wait until your Provisional Cat B expires then get a cat A. if you sat your theory test before 2005-2006 it also covers cat A,M+W but otherwise you will need to sit a new theory test for Cat A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shmall

Thanks for the reply Hobochris,

I called the Motor Tax Office this morning. A sound lad on the help line explained that by including the €15 postal order the cashier must have thought I was trying to renew as there is no charge for having a category added to an existing licence.

He suggested that I go into the office or send it back with a note explaining that I merely wish to add category A to my existing permit.

I guess this is my next option. I will be on the road soon in my high vis bib with the big L :)

Thanks again
    Shmall

Advertisement