Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy here or NI?

Options
  • 05-03-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Time for me to get a bike. I want a Bandit 600 without the fairing, and have about €3000 to spend, for this I need to get the bike, possibly it restricted if it already isn't, a helmet, a jacket, and whatever else I can, I'll pay my insurance monthly.

So, is there much better value to be had up north? I think for the relative small amount of money I'm spending, going across the water may be too much hassle.

I'd appreciate any advice, or any sites with NI dealers on them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Dont forget if you're on a provisional it's not valid outside of the 26 counties so it could make bringing it home more hassle than its worth.

I think for that kind of money you're best off buying locally.

For your gear check out Crossans based in Newry, I think shipping is free from their site over e50 http://www.thevisorshop.com they will give you a discount if you go up there too. I must say I found them to be much more helpful than certain bike shops in Dublin.

I was going to spend over e1000 one day on gear in a certain Dublin store, and I was told every five minutes that they guy would be with me. After 25 minutes of listening to him talk to his girlfriend and mates on the phone I walked out. I went up to Crossans and saved e400.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

richiet wrote: »
    Time for me to get a bike. I want a Bandit 600 without the fairing, and have about €3000 to spend, for this I need to get the bike, possibly it restricted if it already isn't, a helmet, a jacket, and whatever else I can, I'll pay my insurance monthly.

Try here; http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=58127&page=4&highlight=bandit

Nephew wrote: »

I was going to spend over e1000 one day on gear in a certain Dublin store,

name & shame, it was bikeworld wasn't it?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

jameshayes wrote: »

Unless you are member on biker.ie you might not be able to access the Buy and Sell section.

There is one there for sale, 2003, FR for 2.5K, dark blue.
    Another 2002, silver, non restricted for 2750, open to offers.

Few more there as well. PM me for more details if you cannot access the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Unless you are member on biker.ie you might not be able to access the Buy and Sell section.
    And now you can only access the Buy & Sell section if you are a long-term member of Biker.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭richiet

Thanks for that, the '03 looks lovely. I'd prefer to buy from a dealer but if I get one privately for the right money I'd take it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, the '03 looks lovely. I'd prefer to buy from a dealer but if I get one privately for the right money I'd take it.
    Why would you prefer going to a dealer? Cut the middle-man and go private! But make sure you don't go buying a lemon...

Why would you prefer going to a dealer? Cut the middle-man and go private! But make sure you don't go buying a lemon...

From looking at price difference between private and dealer, I think your right, there is much better value privately. As you say tho, I don't want to buy a lemon, so I'll have to get someone to check out a bike before I buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Check out www.dogsbox.ie I think there are a couple of 600 and 650s in and slightly over your price range. I bought nearer to home in the end but this guy seemed pretty genuine over the phone when I was buying my first. Afaik he brings some of his bikes in from the UK

Nephew wrote: »
    Check out www.dogsbox.ie I think there are a couple of 600 and 650s in and slightly over your price range. I bought nearer to home in the end but this guy seemed pretty genuine over the phone when I was buying my first. Afaik he brings some of his bikes in from the UK

Thanks for that, couple of nice ones there. Too dear for me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Think I've found a bike in Belfast, £2200 for a '04. Said they'd restrict it too. Is a UK restrictor cert accepted here by the Gardai?

Think I've found a bike in Belfast, £2200 for a '04. Said they'd restrict it too. Is a UK restrictor cert accepted here by the Gardai?
    You'll be fine with the Gardai, don't worry aout that.

So it's £2,200 GBP (about €2,500 EUR) + €285 EUR for VRT (if it's a 600cc). €2,785 EUR isn't bad for a 2004 bike!

O.K thanks.

No it's not bad at all for a '04, it's a minter too. I'm going up tomorrow for a look, can't wait!

Just to follow up on this, there are good value bikes in the North and U.K, if you're willing to spend the time searching the net for a few days, and phoning around. I put a deposit on this bike, collecting it Friday. It's spotless.

Can't wait to get out on the road.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Bike3.jpg

Bike4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Nice bike Richiet. Well wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭NervyChick

I knw theres bikes on this if it helps and as far as i know its free to advertise www.autoz.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

NervyChick wrote: »
    I knw theres bikes on this if it helps and as far as i know its free to advertise www.autoz.ie

There sure are... a whooping 4 bikes

Aprillia (0) Benelli (0) Bmw (0)
    Ducati (0) Gilera (1) Harley Davidson (0)
    Honda (0) Hyosung (0) Kawasaki (0)
    Ktm (0) Peugeot (0) Piaggio (0)
    Suzuki (2) Triumph (0) Yamaha (1)

Mighty!

Advertisement