Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time glasses wearer - really simple question

Options
  • 05-03-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭

Ok i have finally succumbed and got myself some glasses for reading. My days of squinting or holding the paper at arms length are over. One small problem though. Every time i take them out of their case to use them they are filthy. so i clean them. 2 minutes later i can see dirt on them again. any advice on how best to keep them clean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I noticed this myself when I first started wearing glasses.
    Are they prescription glasses? You can get special coatings that are supposed to help. You do kind of learn to stop touching off the lenses but I still clean mine a few times a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I noticed this myself when I first started wearing glasses.
    Are they prescription glasses? You can get special coatings that are supposed to help. You do kind of learn to stop touching off the lenses but I still clean mine a few times a day!

Prescription glasses, yes. they do have a coating but i think it is an anti-reflective one. I might pop back to the opticians on saturday. Can you get cleaning fluid for them instead of just breathing on them and using the cloth they give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At intervals I swish them in some warm water with washing up liquid (just a drop) which not only cleans the glasses but keeps the frames mirk free too. Mostly just polish them with the cloth provided (try and avoid cleaning them with anything else), and you could wrap the little cloth round them when you put them in the case. Handy to have a couple of them. I just use the breathe on them system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

As I mostly wear mine in work I use a wet Lidls Toujour sensitive baby wipe followed by a Lidl Simply white facial tissue. I found breathing on them and using the cloth provided was still leaving them smeary.

If I have no access to wet wipes and tissues I wash them under a warm tap with soapy water and then air dry them.

If tissues have aloe or anything on them they make them smeary - have to be plain.

Tissues are probably a bit harsh on the lenses but I buy mine quite cheaply online so it doesnt really bother me. I havent noticed any lasting damage yet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you using a tissue rather than a proper cloth for wiping, kitchen roll seems to work better than your average tissue as there are less fluffy/dusty bits on it to get stuck to the lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Don't touch the glass when you're taking them off and on, hold them by the arms (is that what the bit that goes behind your ears called?).

Never put them down glass facing downards.

I use glasses wipes that Lidl do on special offer now and again to clean mine, or the occasional warm water & washing up liquid treatment as others have suggested too.

Not sure if you're male or female but if you wear make-up then it can make the glass greasy or sweating can do the same.

I think that once you're used to wearing the glasses a while you won't notice the smeared glass so much as you'll be accustomed to it. I often shock myself at how dirt mine are but I might not even have noticed it until taking them off and examining them.

Breathing on them by the way is ok but be careful what you wipe them with, wiping glass off a woolly jumper for example is gonna scratch. I generally stick to tissue if at all possible. A scratched lens is a lot harder to live with than a smeary lens!

Advertisement