Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID this please

Options
  • 16-01-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hi, this was found dead on a beach here in Donegal this evening. Is it an eel?

Thanks for looking.

photo0238.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

id say conger eel.
    fins look a bit frayed

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

Yeah its a conger eel. Young one too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Thanks all for your answers

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

100% NOT a conger eel!!

pectoral fin set too far back for conger eel, plus small dorsal fin towards mid-rear of body, the shape of pectoral fin is more triangular than rounded.

at a guess i would say its a frilled shark that has been washed up and dead for some while as most of tail is missing?
    but cant be sure, but I know its not a conger..
    just because its long and rounded don't make it a conger!!

100% NOT a conger eel!!

pectoral fin set too far back for conger eel, plus small dorsal fin towards mid-rear of body, the shape of pectoral fin is more triangular than rounded.

at a guess i would say its a frilled shark that has been washed up and dead for some while as most of tail is missing?

Thanks stevecrow74, I was just showing the photo to my brother-in-law and like yourself he does not believe its a conger. He has a copy of the photo and said he would come back to me with an answer as to what it may be.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

100% NOT a conger eel!!

Agreed. My first impression was badly decomposed ling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Did you only get the 1 photo?

viper123 wrote: »
    Agreed. My first impression was badly decomposed ling.
    Thanks
    steve06 wrote: »
    Did you only get the 1 photo?
    it was my neighbour who found it and he took one photo only and asked me to find out what it was. I forgot to mention that it was about 450mm-500mm in length

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barracudina

possible identification!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barracudina

possible identification!!! :D
    photo0238.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRllXcSdh7OXJn9KFsVCdwxTq_frCft5vIzdndbxVpIKt3HeGtoTw
    Looks like it alright.

• Advertisement

Thanks stevecrow74, you have your homework done well there and I believe you have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Interesting the snout looks very long and it's fin set a bit far back for a conger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Aint no conger...

Thanks stevecrow74, you have your homework done well there and I believe you have it

ah thanks, fishin is a little more than just a hobby, check out my signatures.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Good shout steve it was ringing a bell with me but I couldnt put a name on it.

Advertisement