Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Pike caught in Netherlands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

And on a lure:eek:
    There has to be a couple of those lurking within Emerald waters.
    We've all herd the "one that got away" tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

It's obviously a very big fish (congrats to the captor) but I'm not fully convinced on the length/weight. As is the case with many continental anglers the pics appear to have been taken with a wide-angle lens which distorts the perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

It's obviously a very big fish (congrats to the captor) but I'm not fully convinced on the length/weight. As is the case with many continental anglers the pics appear to have been taken with a wide-angle lens which distorts the perspective.

i did think there was something a little odd about that photo, not sure what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

And on a lure:eek:
    There has to be a couple of those lurking within Emerald waters.
    We've all herd the "one that got away" tales.

I'm banking on that. :D

There is a big girl in Lough Derg that I have been trying to catch for a few years now.

Have seen her before and would put her in the high 30's or low 40's range. She made bits of a smaller pike I had hooked when she hit it close to the boat.

She was bigger than any pike I have caught in my life, and bigger than any pike I have seen others catch in real life, and on par with some monsters that I have seen in pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Gillysome

Andip wrote: »
    Check this one out - 50lb+ & 130cm long - in my dreams !

Site is in Dutch, but the photos say it all.....

http://www.metersnoeken.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1574&Itemid=26

What a catch:eek::eek::eek: Its at least double the size of my biggest pike. What did it weigh in at? My dutch isnt as good as it should be:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm banking on that. :D

There is a big girl in Lough Derg that I have been trying to catch for a few years now.

Have seen her before and would put her in the high 30's or low 40's range. She made bits of a smaller pike I had hooked when she hit it close to the boat.

She was bigger than any pike I have caught in my life, and bigger than any pike I have seen others catch in real life, and on par with some monsters that I have seen in pictures.

If anywhere has the potential to throw out a mahoosive fish it would be somewhere along the Shannon system.

The current record was caught in a trout lake stocked with rainbows that dosnt allow coarse fishing so easy for pike to get very big very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gillysome wrote: »
    What a catch:eek::eek::eek: Its at least double the size of my biggest pike. What did it weigh in at? My dutch isnt as good as it should be:pac:

Estimated at 57lbs but unweighed, so difficult to say either way

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Gillysome

Andip wrote: »
    Estimated at 57lbs but unweighed, so difficult to say either way

Either way catch of a life time. Dont know what these dutch pike are eating to get so big. There are some pics of some equally impressive pike on the net. If i keep saying my prayers hopefully someday one like these will grace my landing net:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The current record was caught in a trout lake stocked with rainbows that dosnt allow coarse fishing so easy for pike to get very big very quickly.

Hard to beat a stocked game fishery to grow big pike.
    As pike angling is getting more popular and pike being better regarded as a great sporting fish, It mightn't be that long before the current irish recodr is broken.
    There are big fish turning up in many places, I'v no doubt that a nice few 30+s are out there. It doesn't take take that huge a leap to get to 40lb.
    Indeed Im sure there are 40s out there too.
    Just make sure your scales are certified and you've a witness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Bizzum wrote: »
    Hard to beat a stocked game fishery to grow big pike.

true, but they look fat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

true, but they look fat!
    They usually are fat! and not to old either.
    The way you or I would look if we dined on silver service every day!
    A 5 or 6 year old hen pike in these type of conditions will be a big big girl.

Advertisement