Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon and Trout Run In Lucan, Co Dublin Ireland, River Liffey November 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

After the devastation they have suffered, it's nice to see some in it again.
    Now we can only hope they are left alone to mate, spawn and make more.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Great to see. I've heard rumours it may open for Salmon fishing again next year. Appearantly it got a decent run this year and achieved its quota, a final decsion will be made after a redd count.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Great to see. Think its the same story all over the country. Read that over 300 were caught in the Moy. A fella I know caught four on a small river just north of Dundalk in the space of two hours just two weeks ago. I've a question regarding salmon mating-How is it that the salmon don't end up inbreeding when they go back to the exact same location that they were born in to spawn? Surely the chances of mating with a close relative are greatly increased with this ritual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

JMB88 wrote: »
    Great to see. I've heard rumours it may open for Salmon fishing again next year. Appearantly it got a decent run this year and achieved its quota, a final decsion will be made after a redd count.

Yes indeed it is great to see but I think there is still a very long way to go before it 'recovers'. The spring runs are still gone, To me it appears that water abstraction is a huge problem. So i would only like to see it open for catch and release only, if it is to open that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 vilkovo

It might be difficult for the salmon population to recover, as what there is is the power station dumb.

the salmon can go upstream through the salmon waterway pass, but on the way back it is not easy to find the return way back to the sea...

when going upstream salmon headed to the high water streams and finds the water pass specially built for this purpose,

but on the way down it can not find the same waterpass, and as you can imagine stays inside the water store till the end of it...

some great design... engineers were probably from japan....?

• Advertisement

who is dumb?

there is a lift to bring them up.

and there is a 'pass' to let them down that was only 'discovered' some years back, not sure when.

i remember fishing for pike above the dam many many years ago in January and seeing plenty of rotting spent salmon swimming around aimlessly along the margins, they could not get back down at the time and were just going to rot and die.

since then a returning 'fish pass' was found and i thought it was in operation but its a long time since i was up there so i am not sure if its working or not.

How do the smolts get back??

Dont forget that salmon spawn in the Rye.

:-)

yes there is a lift, and it works fine the way up but on the way back, they cant find it

vilkovo wrote: »
    :-)

yes there is a lift, and it works fine the way up but on the way back, they cant find it

I thought there was a 'pass' opened at the bottom of the dam for returning spent salmon and smolts?? Am i wrong?

did not know about that... may be there is

Here is an Oireachtas Report from the Eastern Regional Fishery Board.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/committees29thdail/commmarnatressalmonnettingsubmissions/document26.doc

The thing you have to know, is that salmon returning from the ocean arrive at Donegal, then they swim along the coastline down and around the west coast at Ballina, Connemara, and Galway, then past Limerick to Kerry, and around past Cork , and north past Wexford and so get to the east coast rivers.

The fish turn left into their river as they come to it. The east coast salmon have the longest journey to make.

And out from every headland the drift nets were set and waiting.

Now take a look at the graph on top of page 2.
    It shows the tagged Liffey salmon and where they were caught.
    See where the tags were recovered.
    Look at the numbers go down as they try to get back around the coast to reproduce, until none are left.

That's the big reason why the east coast rivers suffered most from drift nets, and why there are almost no salmon, or extremely few, in the Liffey.

Our politicians legalised those nets for votes from netting families, in another episode of destruction on their list of stupid decisions.

At least the nets are illegal once again, but the fish, they are eradicated, and the survivors are below the necessary amount to regenerate. So it will take a long time to undo what was done.

The next significant problems for Liffey salmon:
    2/3rds of all Liffey water is removed for city use, and some fish passes dry out completely preventing upstream migration.
    Next: the weirs and Leixlip dam, but they are down the list, and when salmon were there they managed to live with the dam.
    Next pollution: the lower river is used as a spawning ground, and filter bed silt tends to cover and block off the spawning gravels from the flow.

But it was drift nets that did it in.

• Advertisement

interesting report,

we had a good run this year, (have a look at the video above) so hopefully..

vilkovo wrote: »
    interesting report,

we had a good run this year, (have a look at the video above) so hopefully..

Yes. Your post contained good news vilkovo.
    Thanks for posting it. :)

i am glad my self about it...

there were actually to runs, with one in october and second in november...
    maybe its because of global warming?

Not global warming I guess.

Before the nets the fish used to run in January until May, with smaller fish running July, and September. Those were targeted by the netters. The weather gets bad in the Autumn, making the sea dangerous for small fishing boats, and there were fewer nets laid then.
    So genetic selection over thirty years has created a run of small salmon that come back so late that they have a better chance of survival from drift nets. Their small size is so that some that get caught can get right through the net meshes. They used to be 9lbs/4.5kgs average in the 1980-1980 period.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

good to see the run but do you think it wise to show the area Im sure any poachers in wait will find your info very handy

interesting info

are you fishermen yourself?

I've cast a line over it .... once or twice.

For 40 years!

:D

ohh- thats a good experience :)

coolwings wrote: »

But it was drift nets that did it in.

Without any doubt the drift nets did the majority of the damage to the east coast rivers and practically all other rivers too.
    Of course it was not just the Liffey that suffered from the drift nets, The slaney, dargle, boyne, dee, fane and glide to name a few also were nearly ruined by the drift nets. The dee was once a super little spring river, with a reputation for big 3 sea winter fish. Now nobody fishes it for spring fish.
    If the drift nets stay away hopefully these rivers will start to recover and continue to improve, but we have a very long way to go. It will take more time, a lot more. So the Liffey should remain closed for now. Conservation is the key.:)

• Advertisement

it would also be nice to clean the liffey, in dublin part of it,
    there is so much junk in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Just walking along the liffey today and could see salmon spawning.
    They were milling around with backs out of the water
    the pic doesnt do it justice....

liffey.jpg

what a great sight
    Does the heart good on a cold day....

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

fisherking wrote: »

liffey.jpg

what a great sight

I see the liffey is closed again this season for salmon fishing which is good for conservation, where abouts on the liffey is this picture taken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

fisherking wrote: »

liffey.jpg

what a great sight
    Please do not sat where abouts on the river that is! For obvious reasons!

Given what happens to the fish, it wouldn't be wise to be passing even general information around on a public internet forum, never mind specific locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Thats a brilliant picture its nice to see them spawning in the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Good to see, thanks for posting. As others have said, please don't post the location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

...agreed!...the less general nevermind specific info. posted about this the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I know where that is though :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

coolwings wrote: »
    Given what happens to the fish, it wouldn't be wise to be passing even general information around on a public internet forum, never mind specific locations.

Good point I wasnt thinking:o

Advertisement