Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Calling all Alfa 147 owners

Options
  • 22-09-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

My wife has just bought a 05 Alfa 147 1.6 Lusso and as its her first Alfa just wondering is there any things to keep an eye on, its the twin spark engine btw. Thanks.

P.S. Any " my mothers friend had an Alfa and this and that happened" posters, I have heard them all before so don't bother posting!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The main thing is the timing belt, needs to be done every 36k miles. I'd recommend bringing the car to Gerry Campbell at TI autos for servicing work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

T Spark engines like to use a bit of oil too so check the level regularly.

As already mentioned the timing belt should be changed every 36k miles vigerously.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Thanks for the replies guys, it has 63k miles on the clock and has just had its third timing belt done by the dealer, we are based in Cork so we will be bringing it back to the dealer who used to be an Alfa main dealer.

Anyone know a cable to connect to the 147 stereo for a USB input or IPod input?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

techie wrote:
    My wife has just bought a 05 Alfa 147 1.6 Lusso and as its her first Alfa just wondering is there any things to keep an eye on, its the twin spark engine btw. Thanks.

Hey techie great choice of car, that's another Alfa 147 in west cork :cool:

Join here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ for all your Alfa info

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

techie wrote:
    Anyone know a cable to connect to the 147 stereo for a USB input or IPod input?

Part No. 50903120 from Alfa spares is the cable you want ~ €130 It will let you control your Ipod using the steering wheel radio controls & also charge it :cool: then just run the cable into the glove box, job done.

See this for instructions (for 159 but same as 147 )
    http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27836&KW=ipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

Alfie1 wrote:
    Part No. 50903120 from Alfa spares is the cable you want ~ €130 It will let you control your Ipod using the steering wheel radio controls & also charge it :cool: then just run the cable into the glove box, job done.

See this for instructions (for 159 but same as 147 )
    http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27836&KW=ipod
    there is also a special tray you can get for the 147 it replaces the coin holder and cup holder. your i pod sits into it and is charged through the cable listed above. you can also plug the cable into the radio and put the lead down the dash and it comes out by drivers footwell. if the lead is long enough you can have the i pod by the ashtray.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

techie wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys, it has 63k miles on the clock and has just had its third timing belt done by the dealer, we are based in Cork so we will be bringing it back to the dealer who used to be an Alfa main dealer.
    I hope for your sake that it's not Grandons?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    I hope for your sake that it's not Grandons?

Yes indeed it isn't!! We bought from Old Chapel in Bandon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had one and there was an issue with the carpet in the passenger getting damp. Apparently som issue with an air-con pipe. It was a quick and free fix at the dealers.

Had another minor issue with a pipe on the turbo, but your car doesn't have one of these.

Finally, I had to have the rear driverside childlock replaced as it was permanently in the locked postion.

Other than those three minor problems, everything was tip-top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Darven

i know i have heard all the horror stories about alfas in general but they still seem to have loyal customers.
    im drawn to a 156 but for all the wrong reasons! everything bar performance. the time belt issue turns me off them as well as other engine issues i have heard of, but same can be said about any make. but have to say they are great looking car!

Advertisement