Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I have to pay VAT to foreign Wholesale suppliers when under the €75000 treshold

• 06-09-2014 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I run a business (partnership) in Ireland that has been doing over €75000 annual turnover but now is going under that figure.
    Soon I will opt out of the VAT system and loose my VAT registration as that is not needed anymore when having a turnover of less than €75000

My first question now is : Do we have to pay VAT over goods from wholesale suppliers abroad once we lose our VAT registration here in Ireland?

My second question is. If we have to pay VAT but the supplier abroad doesn't charge or forgets to charge VAT (as we used to have a VAT registration)..what happens if the taxman here finds out or what happens if the taxman abroad finds out? Who would get into trouble...us or the company that forgot to charge VAT?

I have been told by a colleague that if our VAT registration number does not show up on the invoices, that the company abroad does not check for VAT registration, and that it would be no problem for us continuing to not pay VAT over the goods from these wholesalers even though we would not have a VAT registration ourselves in the near future.

Many thanks for any reply

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

I run a business (partnership) in Ireland that has been doing over €75000 annual turnover but now is going under that figure.
    Soon I will opt out of the VAT system and loose my VAT registration as that is not needed anymore when having a turnover of less than €75000

My first question now is : Do we have to pay VAT over goods from wholesale suppliers abroad once we lose our VAT registration here in Ireland?

My second question is. If we have to pay VAT but the supplier abroad doesn't charge or forgets to charge VAT (as we used to have a VAT registration)..what happens if the taxman here finds out or what happens if the taxman abroad finds out? Who would get into trouble...us or the company that forgot to charge VAT?

I have been told by a colleague that if our VAT registration number does not show up on the invoices, that the company abroad does not check for VAT registration, and that it would be no problem for us continuing to not pay VAT over the goods from these wholesalers even though we would not have a VAT registration ourselves in the near future.

Many thanks for any reply

Yes if the total annual inter community acquisitions is over 41k per year. So you will still have to pay over the equivalent Irish VAT at the Irish rate.

If the taxman here finds out you may end up writing a big cheque, they look out for this at a revenue inspection. The supplier will also be writing a cheque if UK VAT man finds out also.

Never rely on "pub talk" when it comes to tax advice.

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

dbran wrote: »
    Yes if the total annual inter community acquisitions is over 41k per year

Why if over €41k? Why not if less than that figure?

Surely he'll be paying foreign VAT

Synode wrote: »
    Why if over €41k? Why not if less than that figure?

Surely he'll be paying foreign VAT

Vat registration thresholds are here.

You might note the ICA threshold.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/registration.html#section2

Dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I see. If EU purchases > €41k he's obliged to keep his Irish VAT number. If not and he ceases to be VAT registered, he'll be paying the VAT of the other country

Yes thats it. He is obliged to keep his VAT number for the purpose of returning the VAT on the ICA alone.

Kind Regards

Dbran

• Advertisement
Advertisement