Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

£12 SL500

• 05-08-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭

www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/12-quid-sl-2011-08-05
    NFL coach sells Benz for £12

Pittsburgh Steelers trainer flogs his SL500 to cafeteria worker on his last day.

Humanity. This will restore your faith in it: during his last day as a coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Ray Horton surprised a petrolheaded cook at the team's cafeteria by selling him his '99 Mercedes SL500 for £12.

According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the cook, Maurice 'Mo' Matthews had always admired the car, and when Horton was saying his goodbyes he asked him: OHow much money have you got in your pocket?' Matthews said: "I got $20." Horton took the money and said: "Sold for $20" before handing him the keys.

Matthews then drove Horton to the airport so he could sign the 64,000-mile SL's title (equivalent to a V5C in Blighty).

Matthews told the PPG: "I'm still in shock. I don't think it has hit me yet. I still pinch myself. I look out the window when I bring it to work and I just go, 'Man, that's mine.'"

Warms the cockles, doesn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Story from 2 weeks time:

"Cook crashes sports car"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Story from two months time_"Evil sports mogul bankrupts hard working, low paid Cook- 'I can't believe I have become homeless just because of a fuel bill and some tyres ' protests Chef Mo"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nice story! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Nice!

Almost as cheap as Ireland, I swapped a '99 CL600 bi-turbo last week for a pack of Monster Munch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hope he can afford to run it.

Lucky guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

colm_mcm wrote: »

Lucky guy.

for a motor like that it would be worth quitting drinkin, smoking and eating to run it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Nice!

Almost as cheap as Ireland, I swapped a '99 CL600 bi-turbo last week for a pack of Monster Munch.

Was that a full pack? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Im sure you could pick up a nice SL320 for €5k at the moment...nice motor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He's an idiot. I'd have given him $25 for it. He just lost out on 5 big ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

cost you 100e or more to fill that bitch up but for 12 quid he cant complain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote: »

Lucky guy.

It's an 08. Low tax? ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

It's an 08. Low tax? ;);)
    says '99 in the op. I know luxo bangernomics is huge, but I'd say horton just palmed it off on the cook to save on the massive quote he just got for a new cat and service.:D If you offered me a 99 merc with a 5+ L engine for €20, I think I'd say thanks, but no thanks. I already have a wife, and I can only afford one expensive indulgence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Solnskaya wrote: »
    says '99 in the op. I know luxo bangernomics is huge, but I'd say horton just palmed it off on the cook to save on the massive quote he just got for a new cat and service.:D If you offered me a 99 merc with a 5+ L engine for €20, I think I'd say thanks, but no thanks. I already have a wife, and I can only afford one expensive indulgence.

Whatever! :p

Advertisement