Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2012 Mondeo v Avensis purchase

Options
  • 04-03-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

im thinking of trading up this year to one of the above, diesel model, what do people think, reliability etc..what else should i consider, Octavia maybe ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Have a Mondeo, but have done plenty of miles in the Annemarie as well.

Mondeo is a better car IMO. Nicer to drive, nicer interior, and more comfortable on long drives. It needs to be 2.0 zetec spec as a minimum. 1.6 is a bit weedy.

Avensis is OK, good space and spec but has a stupid electric handbrake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

I have the avensis since November and has been great so far,strata model so reversing camera Bluetooth etc,no problem with the handbrake,very good mpg on long commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Octavia is a smaller car than the Avensis or Mondeo as it's from the segment below them.

What about a Hyundai i40 or Kia Optima?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Mondeo depreciates like a stone, especially since the mk5 was introduced. Should be fairly handy to pick up a good zetec/titanium 2.0. I'd rate them above an avensis anyway, having driven both for a while. More gadgets and gizmos too (mondeo)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Octavia is a smaller car than the Avensis or Mondeo as it's from the segment below them.

What about a Hyundai i40 or Kia Optima?

The Koreans really should be paying you commission :D

They aren't that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Looking at a mk5 2.0 zetec myself
    Very nice car all mon cons but how are those engines reliably wise? Are flywheels more often needed replaced in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Looking at a mk5 2.0 zetec myself
    Very nice car all mon cons but how are those engines reliably wise? Are flywheels more often needed replaced in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Have a Mondeo, but have done plenty of miles in the Annemarie as well.

Mondeo is a better car IMO. Nicer to drive, nicer interior, and more comfortable on long drives. It needs to be 2.0 zetec spec as a minimum. 1.6 is a bit weedy.

Avensis is OK, good space and spec but has a stupid electric handbrake

I agree the Mondeo is the nicer car but its also a big car so ye do get the 2.0 litre if you want good mpg and will be doing a lot of driving.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Raven_k42

Hi

Might be of interest...but when faced with a similar decison last year...I plumped for a 1.6tdi Octavia...2010 and only 50k. Love the space, really well equipped and the Elegance has a really nice finish. The engine however is driving me to distraction. Perhaps I'm just unlucky...but I've discovered they need regular motorway driving. I only do city driving...and the rev/hunting is killing me. Think I need the Air Flow Sensor changed..but getting mixed messages from Skoda and other mechanics. Might even be the EGF valve...all to do with air and/or recycled air being fed into the engine. A nightmare. Not sure if they suit city driving.

For what it's worth !!.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Koreans really should be paying you commission :D

They aren't that good.

Kettle calling the pot black, Mr Henry? ;)

For the majority of people the i40 or Optima will do the same job as a Mondeo or Avensis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

canhefixit wrote:
    Looking at a mk5 2.0 zetec myself Very nice car all mon cons but how are those engines reliably wise? Are flywheels more often needed replaced in them?

I take it you mean the mk4? I hope anyone hasn't been that unfortunate to have had to change a flywheel so soon in a mk5!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Hi

Might be of interest...but when faced with a similar decison last year...I plumped for a 1.6tdi Octavia...2010 and only 50k. Love the space, really well equipped and the Elegance has a really nice finish. The engine however is driving me to distraction. Perhaps I'm just unlucky...but I've discovered they need regular motorway driving. I only do city driving...and the rev/hunting is killing me. Think I need the Air Flow Sensor changed..but getting mixed messages from Skoda and other mechanics. Might even be the EGF valve...all to do with air and/or recycled air being fed into the engine. A nightmare. Not sure if they suit city driving.

For what it's worth !!.

K

Sell it that car is been slowly killed by you.

No diesel was ever designed for city driving and short runs.

You have made the mistake which tons of others have made since the cheaper tax 2008.

Op look at skoda superb they would be in line with Passat, mondeo, avensos

Advertisement