Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vectra battery problem

Options
  • 05-03-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Hope im in the right place,
    I have an 07 opel vectra petrol and was cleaning out the car today giving a hoover with the radio on,
    only at it about 10 mins and the car wont turn over. Ill get a jump and it will be fine but can anyone tell me is it the Batterie knackered or could it be something else (spark plug etc) .
    when i turn the key all dash lights come on as norm but when i try start it it just clicks if that makes sense .
    thanks fof any input
    stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

I had a similar experience with my 08 vectra. Car driving perfctly fine,came out one morning and the car was dead..recharged the battery and car ran as usual for about 2 days..the the ignition coil went..car would go to limp home mode on start up. You can do a pedal test if yoy think theres an issue. Put your foot on the accelerator and brake together and turn the key to position 2. Dont start the car..google the pedal test trick..its handy to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I had a similar experience with my 08 vectra. Car driving perfctly fine,came out one morning and the car was dead..recharged the battery and car ran as usual for about 2 days..the the ignition coil went..car would go to limp home mode on start up. You can do a pedal test if yoy think theres an issue. Put your foot on the accelerator and brake together and turn the key to position 2. Dont start the car..google the pedal test trick..its handy to know.
    Hi Nozebleed
    thanks for the input, tried the pedal trick but nothing happened engine light did not blink at all.
    will try get a charger as a quick google points to the battery having low cells but i could be wrong , this is the 3rd time since Dec it has happened
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

stedeb wrote: »
    Hi Nozebleed
    thanks for the input, tried the pedal trick but nothing happened engine light did not blink at all.
    will try get a charger as a quick google points to the battery having low cells but i could be wrong , this is the 3rd time since Dec it has happened
    cheers

Firstly is the alternator charging. If it is, the battery probably needs to be changed. I had a golf with 1500w of amps running the sound system. Up to 4 hours later with the radio on the car would start.
    Anything more and it wouldnt

9935452 wrote: »
    Firstly is the alternator charging. If it is, the battery probably needs to be changed. I had a golf with 1500w of amps running the sound system. Up to 4 hours later with the radio on the car would start.
    Anything more and it wouldnt

im not sure ill have to check it out . the car started with a slow push and is running fine at the mo
    it starts ok generally its if i leave the lights on or 10 mins of the radio today.
    i tried the pedal test but nosign of any prob at all

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Any idea of the age of the battery ?
    It would appear that the battery is on the way out - any 'extra' load seems to drain it .

Over the years I have found that batteries can fail in one of two ways :
    1) gives up suddenly and completely ( preferable) or
    2) some begin to fail intermittently which is very annoying as often owners
    start changing/suspecting other parts (alternator , starter etc) and this can
    go on for some time.

Battery suppliers now have high tech testers which can give an accurate indication of how the battery is and avoids the guesswork.

• Advertisement

dooroy wrote: »
    Any idea of the age of the battery ?
    It would appear that the battery is on the way out - any 'extra' load seems to drain it .

Over the years I have found that batteries can fail in one of two ways :
    1) gives up suddenly and completely ( preferable) or
    2) some begin to fail intermittently which is very annoying as often owners
    start changing/suspecting other parts (alternator , starter etc) and this can
    go on for some time.

Battery suppliers now have high tech testers which can give an accurate indication of how the battery is and avoids the guesswork.

Hi Dooroy
    I have the car since 08 so it is the original car battery ill drop in to a car place to have it checked . Hopefully it's not major prob and just a new battery will sort it . just a note I only do about 150 km driving a week would this have any bearing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

The distance driven shouldn't have a huge effect ; if you do a lot of stop/starts with little distance traveled this can run down the battery .
    But if the battery has been there since 2008 it certainly doesn't , as they say, owe you anything and I would say needs to be changed.
    At this stage if you had a few starts with little driving in between it will probably fail on 3rd or 4 th attempt .
    Doesn't have much in reserve - so lights left on for a short time etc will kill it.
    The fact that the car started on a slow push would indicate all is fine with the car , battery is the problem .

dooroy wrote: »
    The distance driven shouldn't have a huge effect ; if you do a lot of stop/starts with little distance traveled this can run down the battery .
    But if the battery has been there since 2008 it certainly doesn't , as they say, owe you anything and I would say needs to be changed.
    At this stage if you had a few starts with little driving in between it will probably fail on 3rd or 4 th attempt .
    Doesn't have much in reserve - so lights left on for a short time etc will kill it.
    The fact that the car started on a slow push would indicate all is fine with the car , battery is the problem .
    Thanks dooroy
    yes seems to be what it's showing new battery
    but it starts on a normal day fine even when it's icy out its only when I leave the lights on or 10 mins hoovering it out
    cheers

Advertisement