Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

05 volvo s40 1.8 petrol

• 12-01-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭

considering buying a 05 volvo s40 1.8 petrol. any good / bad points i should know about them. good option or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

Bought my Volvo S40( 1.8 SE) new in 2005 and I can't speak highly enough of it.
    A. good looking and sporty appearance
    b very solid feel/holds well into corners

c to date no rattles
    d. no major mechanical problems/costs to date.
    I will probably up grade this coming year to a 2010 model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Had a diesel S40 myself.

The 1.8 litre is a Ford engine from the Focus/Mondeo with 125bhp and are fairly solid. The S40 itself like most cars has common problems. ABS/Traction Control unit can throw out "Anti-skid servicing" messages (recently discussed here in another thread) and is an expensive fix. Central Locking/electric windows can also be iffy on them especially in low temperatures like we had recently but they are a very comfortable car, nice to drive and very well put together.

Make sure you go for the SE model at a minimum though, the basic S model is rarer but they don't look the part. That will get you the comfy leather seats, cruise control, larger alloy wheels and cd changer. If you are lucky you might get one with the optional extra Winter Pack which includes bi-xenon headlights and heated seats. The top of the range SE-LUX model is rare but that comes with electric memory seats, folding mirrors, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

Make sure you go for the SE model at a minimum though
    its an se with premium pack what ever that includes?
    ABS/Traction Control unit can throw out "Anti-skid servicing" messages (recently discussed here in another thread) and is an expensive fix
    seen that thread all right, how common is that problem?

@ macdonagh2007

whats the 1.8 like on fuel economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HAPPIFEET

Hi, I was really interested in this post, I am thinking of selling my 05 volvo s40 1.8 petrol, its the se lux model, with the winter pack etc,electric memory seats etc, Im not sure what price tag to put on it, I have spoken to a few people and they have told me not to sell it for less than 7 to 8 k , do you mind me asking what price tag is on the one you are looking at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭brennarr

Whats the milage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HAPPIFEET

Hi, theres 142 km on it,my sis bought it brand new as she used to drive to Dublin 3 days a week, we bought it 2 years ago from her but family is increasing so we need a 7 seater !!. My hubby is hating to part with it as it looks and drives fab and we never had one issue with it , we have the full service history so all in all it would be a great buy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

what price tag is on the one you are looking at ?
    not sure its not for sale for a few weeks yet. i know the owner and he told me hes selling it soon.

Advertisement