Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheism & Agnosticism are not the same thing!

• 12-03-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Yet boards mods seem to think so. There is actually a forum that goes by the title 'Atheism & Agnosticism'.

I am disappointed that boards is perpetuating the misconception that atheists are agnostics, and vice versa. They are so different from eachother that having a forum with this title is like having a forum called 'Catholicism & Protestantism', or 'Agoraphobia & Claustrophobia'. Sure, they have the same theme and all, but to call them the same thing is ignorant and offensive.

I have put this thread in AH because I would surely be banned for voicing my opinion elsewhere on this site.

Comments

it's called one AND the other because they aren't the same

:confused:

give over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Pompous wrote: »
    Yet boards mods seem to think so. There is actually a forum that goes by the title 'Atheism & Agnosticism'.

I am disappointed that boards is perpetuating the misconception that atheists are agnostics, and vice versa. They are so different from eachother that having a forum with this title is like having a forum called 'Catholicism & Protestantism', or 'Agoraphobia & Claustrophobia'. Sure, they have the same theme and all, but to call them the same thing is ignorant and offensive.

I have put this thread in AH because I would surely be banned for voicing my opinion elsewhere on this site.
    There is also a Forum called Beer guts and Receeding hairlines, by your logic they are also the same thing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Likewise Ranting and Raving....they are not even close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Are you that desperate to start a thread, really.? Try harder.

Just spotted 'self defence and martial arts'. So my house alarm is a Ninja? Boards is silly......

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Are you that desperate to start a thread, really.? Try harder.

Just spotted 'self defence and martial arts'. So my house alarm is a Ninja? Boards is silly......

Are you that desperate to get your post count up, really?

If anyone has an intelligent retort I'd be happy to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Actually, they are. All agnostics are atheists but all atheists are not agnostics. A bit like squares and rectangles. Contemporary usage of the term atheist is usually incorrect, as one just has to lack belief in a deity to be an atheist, not believe for sure that none exist.

Actually, they are. All agnostics are atheists but all atheists are not agnostics. A bit like squares and rectangles. Contemporary usage of the term atheist is usually incorrect, as one just has to lack belief in a deity to be an atheist, not believe for sure that none exist.

I'm sorry but you're just plain wrong. Go read up on their actual definitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I really do believe it is butter.

The 'atheism and agnosticism' thread makes no claim either way as to the relationship between the two terms. I however claim that the op is trolling.

Ask a stupid question......................(you know the rest)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Who cares.

Ask a stupid question......................(you know the rest)

Well the answer is bound to be a stupid one if it's an answer to a rhetorical question. But hey, 1+ for effort.

Sergeant wrote: »
    Who cares.

This exactly. Thank you sir for illustrating the root of this problem.

Good night AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

theist = yes
    agnostic = maybe
    atheist = no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

talkinyite wrote: »
    theist = yes
    agnostic = maybe
    atheist = no

Do you believe?
    Theist = Yes
    Atheist = No

Do you know?
    Gnostic = Yes
    Agnostic = No

Seachmall wrote: »
    Do you believe?
    Theist = Yes
    Atheist = No

Do you know?
    Gnostic = Yes
    Agnostic = No

Everything isn't as black and white as yes and no with agnostics, most don't believe they're capable of knowing and sit on the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

In the interest of finishing this thread up quickly OP, what do you define atheist and agnostic to be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Everything isn't as black and white as yes and no with agnostics, most don't believe they're capable of knowing and sit on the fence.

Believing you're not capable of knowing is the same as not knowing, ergo you're an agnostic, and an atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

OSI wrote: »
    You realise there is a Christianity forum right?

There is also a feedback forum.

Believing you're not capable of knowing is the same as not knowing, ergo you're an agnostic, and an atheist.

that's why i liked his comment :p but no atheism and agnosticism aren't the same things at all, like believing and knowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

OSI wrote: »
    What's your point?

Is feedback not the place to discuss problems with boards and its moderation?

Was not having a dig at you by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

So there is a board about BOTH 'Atheism & Agnosticism', there could also be a board about 'Catholicism & Protestantism' are they the same, no, but there is a relationship. Agnosticism=One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism, Atheism=disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

But its very rare I meet a true atheist, in my eyes they are always more agnostic. Watch the post backs I get when I post about my atheism, that includes no such thing as luck, ghosts, higher purpose, spirituality (of any description) when I die it is the end of the world so why care anything about biological posterity.

Or you could be agnostic and believe in no God but higher purpose,,I don't.

OP I think you are being anal. If you were a true atheist you wouldn't care. I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Op is very easily offended. Sounds more like a muslim actually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

that's why i liked his comment :p but no atheism and agnosticism aren't the same things at all.

Theist and atheist are opposite ends of belief. They make no claim to knowledge of said belief. They tell you what follows the words "in relation to the existence of god(s) I believe... "

agnostic and gnostic are at opposite ends of claims to knowledge. What muddies the whole issue is the fact that most atheists are agnostic and most theists are gnostic. Though not all are. People who say "id like to think there's something (in relation to deities)" would be agnostic theists.

Then you have people that claim to be right on the fence of theist/atheist and so describe themselves as agnostic but some of these people actually do hold a belief in one or the other but think the terms are gnostic in definition, so they refuse to answer on belief.

Then you also have ignostics which is what most people that describe themselves as purely agnostic probably mean.

Throw in terms like deist etc. and things can get messy! Oh and the op would have been allowed their say in the a& a forum imo. At the end of the day though, descriptors are just that, they mean to be shortcuts in conversation. I can tell you I'm an atheist and that should fill in blanks faster than telling you what I believe, think, feel and so on. As with any shortcut though it relies on both sides having the same understanding of the underlying definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Food and Drink. Not the same grrr
    Snacks and Sweets, also not necessarily the same :mad:

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I can tell you I'm an atheist and that should fill in blanks faster than telling you what I believe, think, feel and so on.

WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?!

WHY DO YOU HATE HARRY POTTER, BOY WIZARD?

WHY DO YOU HATE HARRY POTTER, BOY WIZARD?

I love Harry Potter.

Check, and, Mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Don't get me started on the 'SciFi & Fantasy' forum. Now there's a pairing made in hell. Who in their right mind would mix swords in with rayguns? Pffft!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

I'm not an atheist or theist but understand it's easier for theists to think in zeros and ones when labeling people so it's no biggy. I'll stay as unspecified or 'other' in the census :p

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

If I were you, I'd take the fact that all you are getting is troll replies as a sign that no-one gives a fcuk.

Or should I say no-one gives a sh!t, as they aren't both the same.........

I'm not an atheist or theist

If you are not a theist you are, by definition, an atheist.

If you are not an atheist you are, by definition, a theist.

If you are neither then you do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Why ask for an intelligent retort to a flawed point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm sorry but you're just plain wrong. Go read up on their actual definitions.

I just did. And I'm still correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OldGoat wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the 'SciFi & Fantasy' forum. Now there's a pairing made in hell. Who in their right mind would mix swords in with rayguns? Pffft!

Simon R Greene does...and it's epic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

Agnostics are just atheists in denial.

It's simply a YES/NO answer.

Do you believe?
    • Yes – Theist
    • No - Atheist

Contradictory to what most believe, atheists don't say – "There is no god". It's that they don't believe. If an agnostic is unsure, therefore she/he does not believe in god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭SeanW

theist = yes
    agnostic = maybe
    atheist = no
    http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/141/1/d/Facepalm_Cat___Motivational_by_L4D2_fan.jpg
    Words fail me :(
    If you are not a theist you are, by definition, an atheist.

If you are not an atheist you are, by definition, a theist.

If you are neither then you do not exist.
    Also nonsense. Firstly, Agnosticism is not half way between theism and atheism. Agnosticism is not so much saying that "The answer is uknown" it's more like "Unknown is the answer." It is the assertion that we have no basis on which to make any kind of claims about the non-physical realm (including the negative assertions of Atheism).

Atheists, on the other hand, are certain that everything we can see and percieve is everything that is. They are certain that we do not have souls, there is no afterlife and no god.

Agnostics are not certain of this at all - not because we're half-way between some arbitrary religion and atheism, but because we've decided that the evidence is insufficient to accept any claim including the negative. It is said that the wisest statement in science is "I do not know."

I don't know if there's a god or any kind of spiritual realm or not - I conside the evidence inadequate.

SeanW wrote: »
    Atheists, on the other hand, are certain that everything we can see and percieve is everything that is. They are certain that we do not have souls, there is no afterlife and no god.

Nonsense, atheists are people who do not believe a God exists.

Everything else you're just ascribing to them.
    I don't know if there's a god or any kind of spiritual realm or not - I conside the evidence inadequate.
    So you're an atheist?

thechanger wrote: »
    Agnostics are just atheists in denial.

It's simply a YES/NO answer.

Do you believe?
    • Yes – Theist
    • No - Atheist

Contradictory to what most believe, atheists don't say – "There is no god". It's that they don't believe. If an agnostic is unsure, therefore she/he does not believe in god.
    FALSE!

I am not an Atheist. My beliefs are guided by the knowledge that I accept. And I accept that I have no reason to believe any claim, including the negative. Ergo, my answer to "Do you believe?" is "I don't know" not Yes or No. Partly because I don't think there's enough evidence, partly because I don't know which set of fairytales I would have to believe to answer yes (there are a bazillion religions and sub-religions in the world, each claiming they're exclusively correct). Ergo, unknown is the answer that I accept, both in knowledge and belief.
    Oh and there are plenty of Atheists who seem to have the view that there is nothing outside the physical realm. Atheism = belief in the negative.

Ergo, my answer to "Do you believe?" is "I don't know"

Is that
    • I don't know if God exists.
    Or
    • I don't know what I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OldGoat wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would mix swords in with rayguns? Pffft!

The makers of the original Flash Gordon thought it was a good idea!

Is that
    • I don't know if God exists.
    Or
    • I don't know what I believe.
    Did you not read my posts? My religious stance can be summarised by the phrase "Unknown is the answer"

And yes, like the OP I'm also irked that Atheism and Agnosticism are lumped together in a single forum. But whever myself or another agnostic has tried to have a separate forum, our request threads usually end up getting hijacked by fundamaterialists.

What ever next? Country AND Western!!! One is a reference to a rural setting and the other is directional and yet both are used to describe a type of music popular in Monaghan, Longford and with folk with special needs.

Did you not read my posts? My religious stance can be summarised by the phrase "Unknown is the answer"

And yes, like the OP I'm also irked that Atheism and Agnosticism are lumped together in a single forum. But whever myself or another agnostic has tried to have a separate forum, our request threads usually end up getting hijacked by fundamaterialists.

But to the question "Do you believe God exists?" how would you answer?

From your response I'm going to presume it's "I don't know if God exists" (correct me if I'm wrong).

That's an invalid answer, you weren't asked what you know or don't know.

So, Do you believe God exists?

Ergo, my answer to "Do you believe?" is "I don't know" not Yes or No.

That's pretty much the same as saying maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
    Who in their right mind would mix swords in with rayguns? Pffft!

A good name for a new literary genre "rayguns and swords" fantasy and sci/fi do get hooped together, because us nerds read both, but I have grown out of fantasy, but I am still an avid Scifi head, its just that genre seems dead at the moment. Not even decent new writers are on the scene.

I use this thread as an opportunity to state that,, the son of a bitch executive who canceled "Caprica" is now my blood enemy, he will be got, in this life or the next.

Nonsense, atheists simply have no belief in a god, that's all. They can still believe in an afterlife, a soul, ghosts, or fairies if they so wish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Atheism & Agnosticism are not the same thing!
    It's true! I didn't believe it at first but now I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I used to believe in God, but then I took some science to the knee.

FALSE!

I am not an Atheist. My beliefs are guided by the knowledge that I accept. And I accept that I have no reason to believe any claim, including the negative. Ergo, my answer to "Do you believe?" is "I don't know" not Yes or No. Partly because I don't think there's enough evidence, partly because I don't know which set of fairytales I would have to believe to answer yes (there are a bazillion religions and sub-religions in the world, each claiming they're exclusively correct). Ergo, unknown is the answer that I accept, both in knowledge and belief.
    Oh and there are plenty of Atheists who seem to have the view that there is nothing outside the physical realm. Atheism = belief in the negative.

If you believe, then you are a theist. If you are anything else, including not knowing what you are, then you are an atheist. As you still don't have any belief in a god.

• Advertisement
Advertisement