Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The whole death/black metal thing...

Options
  • 20-07-2014 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

I'll start off by saying that personally I have no interest in the music, but I do find the culture somewhat... Interesting...

I've looked at some Wikipedia articles of certain personalities/bands involved with black and death metal and this always crosses my mind, was the whole thing all an act? For example, it says here that this "Euronymous" character made necklaces out of this "Dead" fella's skull, and used pictures of his body as an album cover, another example of the madness/extremity evident in some black metal personalities' brains can be seen in Varg Vikernes and his nazism etc.

Anyway, my question is; Were these stories true or were they just spread for publicity/shock reasons? Do you think some of these lads just craved attention and decided to turn to extremity to get some?

A bit of a stupid thread, but these are the wonderful things that go through Hotfail's head at twenty-to-two on a Saturday night/Sunday morning... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Were these stories true

That and more, there were church burnings, and Bard "Faust" Eithun murdered a gay guy, and Jon Nodtveidt was also accessory to murder. Just a few highlights.

I like some of the music, but... eh, there were some f*cking headcases involved with black metal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Links234 wrote: »
    That and more, there were church burnings, and Bard "Faust" Eithun murdered a gay guy, and Jon Nodtveidt was also accessory to murder. Just a few highlights.

I like some of the music, but... eh, there were some f*cking headcases involved with black metal

Yeah I used to kind of like some when I was 14/15 but tbh when I matured a bit I started to find stuff like that completely off-putting. I understand that might be the attraction for some and I do find some of the mad shenanigans they got up to interesting, but it's just not for me. :P

I used to listen to more black metal when I was younger, some of it was awful crap, but there's definitely some incredible music in the genre, with a lot of depth and maturity. Give this a whirl:

That whole album is just amazing, I could just listen to it and chill out.

Also, bassist/singer Grutle has been an absolute gent any time I've met him, we shared our appreciation of Rush and he never tried to murder me either ;)

Just 'cos Enslaved are mindblowingly awesome, here's some more ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Links234 wrote: »
    I used to listen to more black metal when I was younger, some of it was awful crap, but there's definitely some incredible music in the genre, with a lot of depth and maturity. Give this a whirl:

That whole album is just amazing, I could just listen to it and chill out.

Also, bassist/singer Grutle has been an absolute gent any time I've met him, we shared our appreciation of Rush and he never tried to murder me either ;)

I'm actually enjoying that :) Not too gone on the snarling/growling vocals tbh, although I've never liked much of that stuff. Music is good and I like the chorus, maybe they've got a new fan ;)

• Advertisement

I'm actually enjoying that :) Not too gone on the snarling/growling vocals tbh, although I've never liked much of that stuff. Music is good and I like the chorus, maybe they've got a new fan ;)

Cool! Glad you liked it ;)

I think the growly vocal stuff takes a while to get into in general though,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I note that there's a lot of celtic black metal music?

Not black metal as such, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

You want Enslaved's split with Emperor who were actually milling about with the twats in the Norwegian BM scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 breadman

All wonderful theatrics with some brill music check out Irish band Primordial

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Anyway, my question is; Were these stories true or were they just spread for publicity/shock reasons? Do you think some of these lads just craved attention and decided to turn to extremity to get some?
    yeah, they are all true. And my advice for you is to stay away from it all! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement