Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour de Kilkenny 2014 - Sat 2nd August

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Boom Im in 160....first timer

Although I read a very articulate account of a Waterford Club mans (think he is a boardsie) journey on the Tour de KK which has scared the bejesus out of me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Did the 110 a few years back , found it harder than most 150k plus spins. Great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Jimzy is registration possible on the morning of the event this year?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive been doing sportives of 85-110km distances this year but not as much climbing as this 110k one 1124m gain, looks pretty tough.
    Hope its not too much for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive been doing sportives of 85-110km distances this year but not as much climbing as this 110k one 1124m gain, looks pretty tough.

You'll be grand don't get too excited at the start as it is pretty easy until Graig, so it's easy to get caught up in a group that is too quick for you, then you have a long drag to Thomastown and kicks up at Inistioge (Woodstock is short but tough and there is a drag after it and then another a bit later just before the feed stop. Then easy enough after that until you hit Bennetsbridge where you have another short ramp out of it and then it is just a run in on the Danesfort Rd which can be a pain if there is a strong headwind and you are under a bit of pressure and by yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

You should be fine on the morning of the event. I'm waiting on a babysitter so plan to register on the day.

The climbing is a challenge but that's what these things are for. Hammering along the flat in a group is fun but you need to trust everyone whereas climbing is for your own personal achievement. Just pretend your're Nibali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Hey Paulie yeah registration on Saturday morning is open from 7.30 to 8.40 for the 110km and 160km routes - with both starting at 9.00. Registration is open until 10.45 for the 40km and 70km routes.

Full details here: http://www.marblecitycyclers.com/tour-de-kilkenny/

Pre registration will save you €5 and the bother of queuing on the morning! ;)
    http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/MCCTourdeKilkenny2014

Not at all Dcully. There's a good bit of climbing but if you're doing 85-110km distances already it won't be any bother to you. The first climb (Coppanagh) is long but steady, not too steep at all. The next major climb is Woodstock, it's short and steep so pace yourself and you'll fly up there too! :)

Best of luck, hope you enjoy the day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Done the 110k the last two years. Tis my fav sportive that i've done so far anyway. Hope to make it again this year. Re the climbing. Break it into thirds. The first third is easy and the last third is grand bar the one kick at Bennetsbridge. The middle third is where the fun is. The minute the climbing starts at 35k tis all fun til the food stop with Woodstock being the highlight. Dont get fooled how easily ur going up the first long climb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

jimzy wrote: »
    Hey Paulie yeah registration on Saturday morning is open from 7.30 to 8.40 for the 110km and 160km routes - with both starting at 9.00. Registration is open until 10.45 for the 40km and 70km routes.

Full details here: http://www.marblecitycyclers.com/tour-de-kilkenny/

Pre registration will save you €5 and the bother of queuing on the morning! ;)
    http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/MCCTourdeKilkenny2014

This is my 4th Tour de Kilkenny and i can't remember it being time chipped before, most people rely on their own bicycle computers,although it is fun to compare times.

• Advertisement

This is my 4th Tour de Kilkenny and i can't remember it being time chipped before, most people rely on their own bicycle computers,although it is fun to compare times.

4th time doing the Tour, that's great, thanks for the support again! No it's not time chipped funnights.

No chip timing. It's not a race!

4th time doing the Tour, that's great, thanks for the support again! No it's not time chipped funnights.

My mistake, when I saw that registration was through precision timing I thought they were involved, I did the Cork leg of the Skoda series yesterday and when I went to check my time the tour de KIlkenny is on their list of events, but obviously not for timing purposes.

My mistake, when I saw that registration was through precision timing I thought they were involved, I did the Cork leg of the Skoda series yesterday and when I went to check my time the tour de KIlkenny is on their list of events, but obviously not for timing purposes.

Ah ok cool no worries! :)

Looks like with a little luck we might have some great weather next Saturday too!

2yjo70w.jpg

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Kilkenny/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

I'll do the 110km here, the distance is a little bit outside my comfort zone.

How many kms into the 110 is the food stop?

Formosa wrote: »
    I'll do the 110km here, the distance is a little bit outside my comfort zone.

How many kms into the 110 is the food stop?

Hey Formosa,

There will be a small roadside water stop (with fruit / bars / etc) just outside of Thomastown at around 50km.

Then the main foot stop is in Listerlin - that comes at around 72km into the 110km route.

The good news is at this point you'll have done most of the tough climbing! From Listerlin on there are no really big climbs to contend with, so you can (almost!!) freewheel back to Kilkenny from there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Hey Formosa,

There will be a small roadside water stop (with fruit / bars / etc) just outside of Thomastown at around 50km.

Then the main foot stop is in Listerlin - that comes at around 72km into the 110km route.

The good news is at this point you'll have done most of the tough climbing! From Listerlin on there are no really big climbs to contend with, so you can (almost!!) freewheel back to Kilkenny from there! ;)

Thanks Jimzy, just what I was looking for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just for those of you who maybe using gpx files to follow the route, there's a slight change this year as we were not able to get use of the same school for the foodstop, so the new food stop is Tullougher/ Rossbirken GAA ground, which is just before the old foodstop. This makes the route 1.5km shorter and takes a dodgey junction out off the route.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Cheers for the info Jimzy I'm really looking forward to this now.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info Jimzy I'm really looking forward to this now.

Great stuff Paulie!

Just a reminder to everyone that online registration will close at 9pm Thursday evening!
    You can sign up here: http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/MCCTourdeKilkenny2014

Registration will be open from Kilkenny Rugby Club Friday evening from 7pm - 9pm and again Saturday morning from 7.30am - 8.40am.

Cheers Jimzy the 160 route passes the family home so I suppose I'll have to do that one. The Smithwicks will taste all the sweeter after a good day long spin.

Do we get a jersey when we register lads?

Do we get a jersey when we register lads?

Hey Dcully, sorry there is no jersey this year. We had discussed offering one, however as 100% of the funds raised from the Tour de Kilkenny goes towards charity - by offering a jersey it takes away a very big portion of the money raised away from the charities on the day. I hope you enjoy your day on the bike!

Also online registration closes at 9pm tonight for anyone looking to register online: http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/MCCTourdeKilkenny2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hey Dcully, sorry there is no jersey this year. We had discussed offering one, however as 100% of the funds raised from the Tour de Kilkenny goes towards charity - by offering a jersey it takes away a very big portion of the money raised away from the charities on the day. I hope you enjoy your day on the bike!

Also online registration closes at 9pm tonight for anyone looking to register online: http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/MCCTourdeKilkenny2014

Also worth mentioning is the fact that you can buy a nice T-shirt for €14.99 ;).

140710TourDeKilkenny%202014%20Tshirt%20Visual2.jpg

Understrandable jimzy,thanks for your replies.
    I hope to drive down saturday am and do the 110k route.
    Is there a sign in on Sat morning?
    Need to sort a few things before i get the green light, real life gets in the way too often :P

Understrandable jimzy,thanks for your replies.
    I hope to drive down saturday am and do the 110k route.
    Is there a sign in on Sat morning?
    Need to sort a few things before i get the green light, real life gets in the way too often :P

Haha I hate that when real life gets in the way of cycling! ;)

Yeah sign on will be open Saturday morning from 7.30am-8.40am.
    (And will be open 7pm-9pm Friday night too for anyone based around Kilkenny)

Good luck with the green light!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Just registered for the 160. Never done this cycle before, but heard it's great craic. The t-shirt looks awesome; had to get one!

I hope the forcast doesn't put too many off tomorrow's race. Sure if it does rain the tay in Listerlin will taste all the sweeter

• Advertisement

I hope the forcast doesn't put too many off tomorrow's race. Sure if it does rain the tay in Listerlin will taste all the sweeter
    Thankfully it is not a Race Paulie :).

The weather looks [EMAIL="cr@ppy"]cr@ppy[/EMAIL] for the morning, but it will make the cycle a little more challenging ;).

Seweryn wrote: »
    Thankfully it is not a Race Paulie :).

The weather looks [EMAIL="cr@ppy"]cr@ppy[/EMAIL] for the morning, but it will make the cycle a little more challenging ;).

Might make our cycle in to the start 'challenging' too!

ashleey wrote: »
    Might make our cycle in to the start 'challenging' too!
    Yep, looks like it...

meteogram.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Best of luck to all involved today. Wet morning here in KK. Just heading to the ferry in Rosslare, I always seem to miss the Tour de KK!!

Well that was some day, as usual the Tour de Kilkenny continues to be among the top sportives on the calendar, food marshaling and the whole organisation couldn't be faulted. It went pretty well for me, felt good from the start and dealt with the tough middle section of the 110 km route without any bother,, although the climb out of inistioge had its usual share of walkers cursing its savage gradient. The new food stop was fine, up and down a narrow lane but it got the job done. After that my legs left me, bit of a slog home but we got there.
    Chat and grub afterwards, and of course everyone mentioned the weather, honestly its a long time since ive got such a drenching on a bike, no amount of rain gear would have kept me dry,the rain was so strong that on the descents I felt like it was hail stones hitting my face, thankfully I didnt hear of any accidents which was amazing given the conditions.
    So thanks to everyone involved in making today happen, nothing was any trouble when a question was asked, all of your work is greatly appreciated. Hope to see you all again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Savage day on the bike. Did the 110 route. It was a nice spin. The rain was unreal.
    A bike thanks to the two guys who helped me home from just after the food stop. One was a Marble City Cycles guy. Thanks lads. I was on the Prorace with the deepsection wheels.

Also a big thanks to all the support crew. Marshelling and food was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Really enjoyed this today. The conditions made it much harder than it needed to be! I was among the brave souls (lunatics!) doing the 160. Kudos to the two Marble City Cyclers and Waterford racing guy that I cycled the last bit of the route with; the wind was really starting to drain me towards the end.

Fantastic route and organisation; will definitely be back next year.

The maddest thing I've ever done. Was shivering since the food stop and because I cycled to the start, I bailed out early missing Kilmanagh. Respect to all who completed it, and who organised it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

Tackled the 160 got dropped after food stop
    Made it to Newmarket only 5 km from home so bailed as the hypotermania set in.
    Chapu to all who finished any route a really tough day in the saddle

Great job done by all the support staff and MCCs who orginised everything except the weather !!!
    Great to see smiling faces and hot tea to thaw us out.

Im not one bit discourage see you next year if not before.

Well done to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

The maddest thing I've ever done. Was shivering since the food stop and because I cycled to the start, I bailed out early missing Kilmanagh. Respect to all who completed it, and who organised it!

Next year, cycle to the start via Kilmanagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Had said before the start that I would only do the 160 if conditions were good but went ahead anyway with a few from the club who wanted to mark it off. Was wilting toward the end, but generally enjoyed the spin and the achievement. Was luckier/drier than some as my pocket rocket jacket really earned it's keep well, and sprayed bib shorts with water repellent this morning, which worked better than I expected.
    Kudos to all the committee members and volunteers who made this such a success - just a pity the conditions kept numbers down, esp on the shorter spins.
    Thanks also to those who helped pul me around the latter stages.
    Definitely one to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

A day for the long sleeve Castelli Gabba WS. Not waterproof but keeps you warm and comfortable once you don't stop.

5:14 rolling for the 160k, had to keep moving with the rain.

Saw guys in hypothermia blankets at the end. They were shaking.

To be honest I've been out in much worse. It was just wet not cold or windy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Did the 110k today. Almost took the left turn for the 160 but glad I didn't. I've never been out in conditions like that. I can't fault the organisation, you could've fed an army at the food stop and the bbq at the end really hit the spot. Hope to do the 160 next year, fingers crossed the weather is a bit more pleasant.

justbored wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If it wasn't for your great lunch stop we would have been in real trouble. Thanks so much for the hot drinks and cake!

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Next year, cycle to the start via Kilmanagh.

I'll have to think of a different lame excuse then!

hughmace wrote: »
    Tackled the 160 got dropped after food stop
    Made it to Newmarket only 5 km from home so bailed as the hypotermania set in.
    Chapu to all who finished any route a really tough day in the saddle

Great job done by all the support staff and MCCs who orginised everything except the weather !!!
    Great to see smiling faces and hot tea to thaw us out.

Im not one bit discourage see you next year if not before.

Well done to all.

Sorry about that Hugh. We tried to keep it together but everyone was so cold we didn't realise we had lost you until it was too late. Then it was just a battle to stick with Mr Dowling after he kept deciding to 'warm up' with a 50km/h stretch every now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

Sorry about that Hugh. We tried to keep it together but everyone was so cold we didn't realise we had lost you until it was too late. Then it was just a battle to stick with Mr Dowling after he kept deciding to 'warm up' with a 50km/h stretch every now and again

No problem Ash was sticking with Paul and before I knew it group was gone
    I think I would have headed home anyway...
    God it was miserable .....

Pics just posted on the Marble City Cyclers Facebook page if yeah want to have a browse.

Here's a link to some shots on facebook and will be on the MCC website soon too (for the non-facebookers!):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152663035985452.1073741842.97586620451&type=3

Thanks and well done to everyone that braved the elements yesterday - unbelievable conditions all day long!

Well done to all those who braved the conditions on Saturday. Alot was made of the terrible conditions experienced last June for the W200. I actually think the conditions were worse on Saturday as most of the heavy rain fell before the start of the W200. I hope fundraising targets weren't effected adversely because of the conditions. Thanks to MCC and the volunteers in thomastown, listerlin and Kilmoganny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement