Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does it matter what bike I use

• 23-07-2014 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Howdy, Have got out on the bike recently and I'm really enjoying it. The bike is a big old mountain bike, weights a ton and has I guess what you would call off road wheels. Last couple of spins on the flat I have been in my opinion flying along in a high gear and thinking I'm doing a good speed when I have had other cyclists on road bikes literally cruise past me with what looks like half the effort. All I'm interested in is the exercise. I'm not heading off racing or anything like that but I'm wondering who is getting the better work out, is it me on the big beast or the person on the road bike who can go further and faster or is it more likely down to the individual. Any thoughts appreciated..

Comments

Try a road-bike out in your local bike shop. You will really feel the difference the lighter weight and smooth tires make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

thomasm wrote: »
    Howdy, Have got out on the bike recently and I'm really enjoying it. The bike is a big old mountain bike, weights a ton and has I guess what you would call off road wheels. Last couple of spins on the flat I have been in my opinion flying along in a high gear and thinking I'm doing a good speed when I have had other cyclists on road bikes literally cruise past me with what looks like half the effort. All I'm interested in is the exercise. I'm not heading off racing or anything like that but I'm wondering who is getting the better work out, is it me on the big beast or the person on the road bike who can go further and faster or is it more likely down to the individual. Any thoughts appreciated..

Your probably getting a better workout on your mountain bike, if your both cycling equal distances.

Comparing a mountain bike to road bike is like comparing a 4x4 Land Rover to a Ferrari, in terms of speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You can get the same work-out on either. You'll just go further and faster in the same time on a road-bike - which makes no difference if all you're interested in is fitness.

Where a road-bike can help improve your fitness is that you might be able to do longer spins on a road-bike than on a mountain bike. I can't do more than 30km on a flat-bar bike without shoulder pain, so I'd be severely limited by a mountain bike. Some lads do 200k cycles on them. So depends on you, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

quozl wrote: »
    You can get the same work-out on either. You'll just go further and faster in the same time on a road-bike - which makes no difference if all you're interested in is fitness.

Where a road-bike can help improve your fitness is that you might be able to do longer spins on a road-bike than on a mountain bike. I can't do more than 30km on a flat-bar bike without shoulder pain, so I'd be severely limited by a mountain bike. Some lads do 200k cycles on them. So depends on you, really.

Would agree with this. For example, in this years Ring of Kerry, there were people on mountain bikes that managed the day no problems. It is up to you. But, go to the LBS and try out a road bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thanks for the replies. Might browse the local bike shop if I keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

A big factor for the higher road bike speed is that the tyres are probably pumped to 90 psi to 120 psi using a track pump. Other bikes might have tyres around 30 psi.

Example
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-joe-blow-max-ii-track-pump/rp-prod4949

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi, just bought a mountain bikes for myself and wife. In a past life my experiences involved a Raleigh tourer - which was a great bike but constantly had punctures or wheel problems so I switched it for a President Mountain bike, which was a tank, really heavy but never gave a problem and never seen the inside of a bike shop.
    So when I went to buy the new bike, the old romantic or nostalgic memory of the "president" was at the forefront of my mind.
    I didn't want a road bike (racer) as due to back problems I prefer straight handlebars and I wanted big tyres, so my choices were a hybrid or a mountain bike style.
    All the new bikes were really light compared to my old bike (due to aluminium or alloys rather than steel frames).
    The heart may have ruled the head and I went for a Trex X Caliber - which is effectively a MB with front suspension. The bike is comfortable on the road but gives the option of going off-road if/when I want.
    So as the other lads say:
    - Decide what type of bike would suit you best (racer, road, hybrid, mountain/off-road, suspension etc)
    - Decide on your budget (whether you can avail of a cycle to work scheme)
    - Visit your Local Bike Store, get advice and try a few out different bikes
    - Consider used bikes also as a less expensive alternative
    After many shop visits I eventually went to a store in Naas (Cahill's). I have to say they were really helpful (even gave me a spin on an electric bike, which was most enjoyable). They gave me a good deal on the bikes I got and so far so good.
    But comfort, flexibility and reliability were my priorities, if speed and efficiency were priorities then the hybrid would have been the first choice. Enjoy your cycling

Advertisement