Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best website to buy shorts and jersey?

• 20-07-2014 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Where is the best place to buy the bib shorts with a jersey. Is it possible to get them cheap? Around €30. Any recommendations of a particular brand would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi!

Wiggle uk

Chainreaction cycles

Evans cycles

Probikekit uk

Bike 24

Or even better..

Pop into your local bike shop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

The only place you'll get decent bibs and jersey for €30 is aliexpress.com
    Order a size bigger than normal and be prepared to wait around 4 weeks for delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It'd be a real struggle to get a good quality pair of bib shorts and a jersey for 30 or less. Having comfortable shorts is vital to a comfortable cycle, so it's worth getting the right thing the first time. I'd strongly advise saving up a bit more, spending more like 60 euro now will make a lot more sense in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

I have ordered 3 team jerseys from aliexpress last week. I think it will be up to 7 weeks before I will get them. They were 10 to 12 euros each so im prepared to wait. I did not bother with the shorts as if they don't fit there of no use to me. I don't think you can go wrong with a jersey anyways but a better quality shorts is a must. ive just got lidl/aldi shorts and I use them up to 90km with no problems so far.:cool: I am going to get a bit shorts soon so will have to spend a bit more on that.

I have ordered 3 team jerseys from aliexpress last week. I think it will be up to 7 weeks before I will get them. They were 10 to 12 euros each so im prepared to wait. I did not bother with the shorts as if they don't fit there of no use to me. I don't think you can go wrong with a jersey anyways but a better quality shorts is a must. ive just got lidl/aldi shorts and I use them up to 90km with no problems so far.:cool: I am going to get a bit shorts soon so will have to spend a bit more on that.

I have 2 bibs from aliexpress, they are 10 times better than anything from lidl or aldi. The jerseys are very good quality also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

WillyFXP wrote: »
    I have 2 bibs from aliexpress, they are 10 times better than anything from lidl or aldi. The jerseys are very good quality also.

I've bought about 6 pairs of bib shorts/pants from Ali Express and couldn't agree more with this quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Classify

Cheers.
    Roughly how much are the lidl shorts. Any idea when they will be in again?
    What about halfords? Checked their website and the shorts seem alright. I'm new to cycling by the way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Don't buy the cheap shorts if you intend on spending time in the saddle, go and spend 50 or 60 quid on a good set of bib shorts. There are loads of sales going on on the sites mentioned.
    Buying cheap shorts etc could end up giving you blisters or the full brazilian on the under carraige as they are light on the padding and coarse on the material! :D
    I learnt the hard way, ripped the skin from my liatroidi and legs on a hot 1.5 hours spin one evening! Wasn't pretty!

Sportpursuit do good flash sales, you could get a right set there.

http://www.wiggle.com/bbb-squadra-bib-short/

http://www.wiggle.com/dhb-trace-bib-short/

http://www.wiggle.com/northwave-fighter-bibshorts/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

Classify wrote: »
    Cheers.
    Roughly how much are the lidl shorts. Any idea when they will be in again?
    What about halfords? Checked their website and the shorts seem alright. I'm new to cycling by the way.

Halfords stock altura amongst others and the air stream and pro gel shorts are great. Expect to pay 50 - 60 quid for the bib shorts alone but are a very worthwhile investment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Why not try your local cycling club, most clubs get decent gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

When it comes to padded shorts...don't scrimp on quality...you get what you pay for.

Santini is my preferred brand.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/santini-edge-nat-bibshorts.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

If you're tight for cash, you could try start fitness (http://www.startfitness.co.uk/mens/sport/cycling-clothing.html)

I've got some of their running and cycling stuff; while it's not GREAT, it's not BRUTAL either.

I like the ones on wiggle. Anyone know where I can get a Promotional Code?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Bought jersey and bib shorts from ioffer(similar site to aliexpress) decent quality, prompt delivery, aliexpress is cheaper, so just ordered this years saxo tdf kit :) and a rain jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Boscoirl wrote: »
    just ordered this years saxo tdf kit :)

might i draw your attention to rule #17

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#17

pac_man wrote: »
    Would the customs not confiscate this (I'm assuming it's fake).

More than likely fake, like most things on those sites, anything I have bought before(non cycling stuff) has come through, would only ever buy something I was prepared to take the Hit on if it never arrived.

Seany, they were bought purely for H&S reasons, it's good to be seen on the road. :) (having read through the rest of the rules, seems, I am breaking a few others too)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vwgolf08

Could i get a PM for Mac's seller? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

What method of payment is best to use ?
    They don't have paypal and I don't want to use my CC...
    I've bought about 6 pairs of bib shorts/pants from Ali Express and couldn't agree more with this quote.

dfdream wrote: »
    What method of payment is best to use ?
    They don't have paypal and I don't want to use my CC...

I always use my visa debit card. No bother. Ali express only release the funds to the seller once you've confirmed you've received the item.

In the case you haven't or wish to raise a dispute, their procedure is similar to paypal.

I always use my visa debit card. No bother. Ali express only release the funds to the seller once you've confirmed you've received the item.

In the case you haven't or wish to raise a dispute, their procedure is similar to paypal.

In the event of ordering bib shorts, a tip would be to send a message to the seller to request silicone gel padding as opposed to foam padding which I received once so a lesson was learnt from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Lots of people suggesting aliexpress for cycling shorts.
    Any recommendation on a seller/store within aliexpress there seems to be loads offering the same stuff

Rob

rtmie wrote: »
    Lots of people suggesting aliexpress for cycling shorts.
    Any recommendation on a seller/store within aliexpress there seems to be loads offering the same stuff

Rob

Just look for sellers with the highest rating, try to go for a shop that only does cycling gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

07Lapierre wrote: »
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/

When it comes to padded shorts...don't scrimp on quality...you get what you pay for.

Santini is my preferred brand.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/santini-edge-nat-bibshorts.html

I have a pair of Altura shorts but my bike fitter suggested I get bibs, don't mind spending the loots if it makes me more comfortable a few hours in.

Anyone any idea how to go about sizing those Santini's?

Are they good enough or do I need to remortgage to get a pair of Asos yolks? I'm just out for long spins, no racing or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

yop wrote: »
    Don't buy the cheap shorts if you intend on spending time in the saddle, go and spend 50 or 60 quid on a good set of bib shorts. There are loads of sales going on on the sites mentioned.
    Buying cheap shorts etc could end up giving you blisters or the full brazilian on the under carraige as they are light on the padding and coarse on the material! :D
    I learnt the hard way, ripped the skin from my liatroidi and legs on a hot 1.5 hours spin one evening! Wasn't pretty!

Sportpursuit do good flash sales, you could get a right set there.

Before I bought from Ali Express I bought a few pairs of Dhb from wiggle paid good money but the pad in those shorts is nowhere near as good as the pads in the Ali express ones

I bought the red and black. dhb trace bib shorts on wiggle. They arrived yesterday and I went for a 30km cycle. They were glorious. Thank you all for your suggestions. Now to find a nice jersey to match.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Bought jersey and bib shorts from ioffer(similar site to aliexpress) decent quality, prompt delivery, aliexpress is cheaper, so just ordered this years saxo tdf kit :) and a rain jacket

They aero ivied today, very happy with them,,they fit great, and I'll be seen for miles :)

Also got a castelli rain jacket that packs away, overall a good experiannce, will buy from them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Boscoirl wrote:
    Also got a castelli rain jacket that packs away, overall a good experiannce, will buy from them again

Boscoirl wrote:
    They aero ivied today, very happy with them,,they fit great, and I'll be seen for miles 

That's not bad delivery time really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

All the talk around Ali Express, I am going to give them a go. Not in any rush to receive the item, will let you know what I think of the items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I've just ordered the Euskaltel Team set from aliexpress
    will update when received

• Advertisement

my jerseys arrieved from aliexpress. all 3 of them are too small. I even ordered larger sizes and still they are wrong. I used there sizing charts to make the selection.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

What sizes you get? You could stick them up here for a sale if you like? What size are you if you don't mind me asking just so I know if my stuff is going to be the right size. I'm 5'8 and 10 st 7 and ordered mediums.

I am same height but im 90 kg. I ordered xl according to 108 cm chest and they are too small. I would guess there medium to large at best. Its a mess now because the job of sending back aint going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

the job of sending back aint going to happen.

What jerseys are they??

seany15 wrote: »
    What jerseys are they??

just tried them on again.... they are a little tight but not too bad. I have

FDJ in xl
    Europcar in xl
    Cofidis in xxl.

don't know whats going on with sizes but the cofidis one seems tightest in the waist. they are lightweight material but they are very nice......... maybe I can slim down a bit to fit them :rolleyes:

Advertisement