Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth, Cusp of Eternity

Options
  • 02-06-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/06/02/exclusive-worldwide-premiere-opeths-new-song-cusp-eternity/

Hmmmmm.....it sounds like Heritage but more rock, hmmmm....I know artists should be congratulated on their efforts, but it feels a bit too clean, too smooth and a bit boring? The main riff is a bit stock although the melody over the chorus is nice. I think they're way to obsessed with middle eastern sounding scales and progginess and I say this as a fan of prog. Although it's great that they've evolved I would like to hear some of that fire that characterised their earlier music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I'm only vaguely familiar with them. I listened to Blackwater Park a few times - couldn't ever get really into it but I appreciated what they were doing. It was pretty dark stuff.

This is definitely more standard stuff. Reminds me of Dream Theater's single 'A Rite of Passage'. My opinion on that song is the same for this - it is a bit boring but the solo is neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Song is enjoyable, but definitely nothing to exciting. I'll wait for the full album to judge, but I think the days of being blown away by Opeth's releases are over.

Still, better they try new things then repeat the same old stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Problem is they're retreading ground rather than breaking it. 70s prog broke all the ground these dudes are basically paying homage to now. I don't really care about the full dropping of the scream vocals, but Opeth's stuff hasn't been all that interesting to me since Heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

I find that a bit ordinary for Opeth. I'm hoping the album will be a lot stronger. This isn't hitting me the way "The Devils Orchid" did as a taster for Heritage (which is an album I love).

Another song leaked

https://soundcloud.com/spiral2012/track1

Much, much better track I think. Even though I feel Mike is becoming too fond of going in a generic 70's prog direction, I really like that song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Somnus wrote: »
    Another song leaked

Much, much better track I think. Even though I feel Mike is becoming too fond of going in a generic 70's prog direction, I really like that song.

If that turns out to be a leaked tune from Opeth's new album it is far better than the "official" taster

RayCon wrote: »
    If that turns out to be a leaked tune from Opeth's new album it is far better than the "official" taster

Agreed. Usually the singles aren't the best tracks on the album, so let's hope the rest of it is a bit more in this vein!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

By the looks of the posts above I should post this in "Unpopular Rock and Metal Opinions"

but...

I really like that track

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

its very good as always but doesn't really grab me.

I miss the older Opeth sound, the dynamic between the heavier and the clean parts. Its a shame that they have dropped this style as I think it was what made them so good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Somnus wrote: »
    Another song leaked

That's x100 times better than the single.

• Advertisement

So some of you might have heard the album leaked.

Just remember not to provide links to it here please.

What I'm reading from other people seems promising, if not amazing, so looking forward to hearing it.

Advertisement