Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about going to Silverstone F1 GP

Options
  • 07-04-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So my dad was supposed to be heading to Australia this year to catch the opening race of the F1 2015 season. Unfortunatley he was unable to make it and now has no future prospects of seeing his first F1 GP.

So I was thinking about surprising him with two weekend tickets for the upcoming Silverstone GP. Unfortunately as I am only 21 and still in full-time education money is a bit tight. I've priced General admission weekend tickets and they come to around €480.

I had a look online and found this image.

circuit_map.jpg

It seems like there's a lot of places to choose from when it comes to general admission which is pretty good IMO. Has anybody ever been to Silverstone with similar tickets ? Any good spots we should try and head too first ?

Any other advice would be much appreciated as its my first time booking any sort of GP trip and am unsure about any hidden charges which may crop up (parking etc)?

Also Im assuming that you can camp freely for the weekend there ?

Edit: Scratch that I just seen the camping is an additional €220 for the entire weekend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I went to silverstone on a GA ticket and there are several good spots which can be accessed. Maggots and beckets are excellent as they are hig speed and you can get very close to the apexes of some of the corners. At the end of hanger straight is a good spot also as you get to see the cars for quite a long time as they approach. Copse corner is also one of motorsports great corners.

The problem is that Silverstone is one of the best attended GPs of the year and there are massive crowds, you need to be at he circuit no later than 7am and have a couple of folding camping chairs with you if you want a reasonable spot and some comfort.

My best advice is to be over prepared in order to get the most out of it. A GP weekend is an amazing experience but it is also ridiculously expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

The large attendance is one of the things that is putting me off it. But to be honest no matter what GP you go to your always going to have people around you so I should'nt let that influence the decision! Still though ... can't help but think the amount of people that will show considering Hamilton won the title last year!

What are prices like around the track ? Food/drink etc ?

Two weekend tickets, camping for the weekend, €700 all in! Will let you know if I book it! (might do this weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    The large attendance is one of the things that is putting me off it. But to be honest no matter what GP you go to your always going to have people around you so I should'nt let that influence the decision! Still though ... can't help but think the amount of people that will show considering Hamilton won the title last year!

What are prices like around the track ? Food/drink etc ?

Two weekend tickets, camping for the weekend, €700 all in! Will let you know if I book it! (might do this weekend)

I think Silverstone gets crowds in excess of 120K still where as the The German GP last year was around 50K, ditto Spain so the crowds are a bit more manageable. I'm open to correction on that one.

Its more then 10 years since I was there so can't comment on the prices of food and drink but I think it is safe to say that they will be expensive!

If you aren't set on Siverstone you might consider Belgium, a friend has been to the GP there and greatly enjoyed it, there was thread on here about going last year I think.

Advertisement