Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any talent on the way up?

• 14-10-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

The last half decade havent't exactly been the heyday of Irish football :o

But i noticed that Ireland U-21s beat Lithuania 3-0 away (albeit in a friendly) :D Congrats to them. Granted Lithuania are not exactly a major force in football, but these days their senior team at least would be regarded as a tricky assignment away from home at least. So is their some more hope for the near future

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Good thread.

Well by 2010 we could have at least 3 midfielders of proper quality in Chris McCann, Owen Garvan and James McCarthy. Gibson is only 20, and while he probably wont make it at man utd, with the right move could easily flourish. People say we are light in midfield, and while on paper it might seem that way we actually have quite a few talented players for this position. Problem is they are either not ready(McCarthy) or not called up for whatever reason.

These are only players in the public eye at the minute, conor hourihane was named in the European u-17(i think) team of the tournament and is with Sunderland and Conor Clifford is highly thought of at Chelsea.

Don't know how Robery Brady is getting on an Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Good thread.

Well give me a f'in thx then. :P Des gets them like their going out of fashion for his mad rants, i only want one just for once :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was pleased to see Garvan producing the goods for the U-21s. I've been following his progress and he seems to be heading in the right direction. With the lack of quality in central midfield at the moment he should feature for us in some form over the next 12 months or so. I think I'm right in saying he has yet to sign a contract at Ipswich so maybe there's the chance of him moving on from there.

John Joe O'Toole is another young guy who seems to be doing well at the minute. I've not followed his progress as much but I've noticed he's grabbed a few goals for Watford so if he keeps improving perhaps he's one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's a few Irish lads at City who are out on loan etc and could do ok.

And of course there's Stephen Ireland who will win World Player of the Year by 2012 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Seamie Coleman played in the game and is one to look out for :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The Irish U17's who went to the European Championships during the summer look a decent crop. Look out for Robert Brady, Conor Clifford and Conor Hourihane in the future. :D

Owen Garvan, Chris McCann and Keith Treacy look the most promising from the U21's from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Good thread.

Well by 2010 we could have at least 3 midfielders of proper quality in Chris McCann, Owen Garvan and James McCarthy. Gibson is only 20, and while he probably wont make it at man utd, with the right move could easily flourish. People say we are light in midfield, and while on paper it might seem that way we actually have quite a few talented players for this position. Problem is they are either not ready(McCarthy) or not called up for whatever reason.

These are only players in the public eye at the minute, conor hourihane was named in the European u-17(i think) team of the tournament and is with Sunderland and Conor Clifford is highly thought of at Chelsea.

Don't know how Robery Brady is getting on an Man Utd.

Didn't see this post. Oh well! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The Irish U17's who went to the European Championships during the summer look a decent crop. Look out for Robert Brady, Conor Clifford and Conor Hourihane in the future. :D

I hear Clifford is suposed to be the next big thing - the new James McCarthy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

We seem fairly blessed with midfielders and forwards but have we anyone promising coming up at the back? Finnan is what, 32? Has maybe 3 years left, four at a push (and he has had a few injuries as of late, he is getting on). Dunne 5 or 6 years max. Any goalies to look out for? Colin Doyle was getting alot of talk a year or two ago, how has he been doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I can't wait to see James McCarthy in action tbh. He's been hyped to the skies recently so it'll be good to see if he really is all thats cracked up to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

shane86 wrote: »
    We seem fairly blessed with midfielders and forwards but have we anyone promising coming up at the back? Finnan is what, 32? Has maybe 3 years left, four at a push (and he has had a few injuries as of late, he is getting on). Dunne 5 or 6 years max. Any goalies to look out for? Colin Doyle was getting alot of talk a year or two ago, how has he been doing?
    There doesn't seem to be many defenders coming through. Spillane of Norwich would probably be the most highly rated of the U21s. He's on loan at Luton atm where he's been described by one fan (just googled) as a revelation. Actually, James McCarthy picked Spillane out as a player that impressed him while on Ireland duty.

Advertisement