Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Best and 3 Worst

• 11-10-2008 11:59pm

what would rate the 3 best qualities and 3 worst qualities of you're favourite footballers. Football wise :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Well, my favourite footballer of all time is Kaka and I like him because he is handsome, brilliant at what he does, and has not forgotten his roots back home in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Oh wait, you said football-wise... ...

Best qualities of my favourite footballers:
    - Leadership (Roy Keane)
    - Tenacity (Messi)
    - Flair (Ronaldinho)

Worst qualities of my favourite footballers:
    - Arrogance ([Cristiano] Ronaldo, Henry)
    - Dishonesty (i.e. feigning injury) (Rivaldo)
    - Greed

i meant as in your one fave footballer like kaka for instance

Good

then

BAD

traits although i can't find many bad traits about him tbh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I never understand why people dislike arrogance. I love it. Cantona was as arrogant as they came, and he earned the right to be.
    Maybe thats the difference in my mind between being arrogant and being cocky. When you are arrogant, its justified. If its justified, I love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

honestly, Poowart Downing has that thrown for me, he's actually just rated because he has a left foot whats half decent other than that he's muck!

Lee Bowyer isn't too far behind though nor is mikel [16 million!]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

PHB wrote: »
    I never understand why people dislike arrogance. I love it

arrogance is only good if the person in question has the talent to back it

schumacher and lewis hamilton for example in f1

both arrogant f*ckers in different was, but both have every right to be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I cant believe the 2nd post in this thread. Comparing Ronaldo's arrogance to Henry. Totally different IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Anto Flood = ****e at penalties
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Messi...

Best;

When on the ball he has that aura that only the greats had. Sometimes he is actually magical, I feel some of the things he does (even if they are insignificant in the overall scheme of the match) are truely impossible. I would have loved to have seen Maradona live. I've only got that feeling from Ronaldo (especially when at Barca/ for Brazil) and Zidane occasionally.

You say you love arrogance? Well, Messi isn't your guy if thats the case. He is the one of the most modest players in the modern game if you ask me. When Barca were destroying Atletico last week, Aguirre asked Messi to have mercy in victory. The exact quote from the Atletico manager being;

“I just said to him one must have humility in victory and in defeat and he told me he will not kick us while we are down. He is a gentleman.”

And finally he is determined, when he loses the ball the he will do his very best to retrieve it, I think he has a really good attitude on the pitch most the time. It's no mean feat that at the age of 21 he is the most important player in the team. Barcelona are a different outfit when he plays. He is also loyal, he knows that without Barcelona's development, he would be nothing. He is a youth player at Barca, and I can see him staying for most of his career, unless the club does something retarded like sell him.

Worst;

He has improved this over the past 2 years, but he can still be naive in attack. Sometimes puts too much on his shoulders when a game isnt going FCB's way, he'll try and take on the entire team himself. Whereas if they were winning comfortably he would play the nice pass and open up some space.

On very rare occasions he does sulk. I remember against Espanyol he lost the ball in a challenge, and instead of getting up to try and retrieve it he stayed face down on the ground for an extra few seconds, the same happened last night against Uraguay. Even if he is frustrated, he should try to completely cut out the sulking, as some players these days do it way too much.

He needs to be a little more clinical also. Despite some of his beautiful goals, he does have quite a large amount of his shots blocked by defenders. I still however love him and wouldn't change him for any amount of players in the world... :pac: (unless it was Luis Garcia, what a player!!!!!!!!!! :pac::pac: - The only players I've seen to get a match rating of zero...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah i have to say Messi's modesty is one of the best things about the guy. I really like it because he is so good yet doesn't let it get to his head.

• Advertisement

I enjoy modesty too, Xavi ruled himself out of contention for the ball d'or- “The truth is that I do not think I deserve the Golden Ball. It’s not because of humility but because of the kind of player I am, Without my teammates, I am nobody. And I will continue to depend on them as that is my style of football but if I do achieve success, it will be because of my team.” ... Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

eZe^ wrote: »
    I enjoy modesty too, Xavi ruled himself out of contention for the ball d'or- “The truth is that I do not think I deserve the Golden Ball. It’s not because of humility but because of the kind of player I am, Without my teammates, I am nobody. And I will continue to depend on them as that is my style of football but if I do achieve success, it will be because of my team.” ... Legend.
    Not a fan of Barca by any means, but Xavi's always been a favourite of mine, on the pitch and off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah top lad is that Xavi fella :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kevster wrote: »
    Well, my favourite footballer of all time is Kaka and I like him because he is handsome, brilliant at what he does, and has not forgotten his roots back home in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Oh wait, you said football-wise... ...

Best qualities of my favourite footballers:
    - Leadership (Roy Keane)
    - Tenacity (Messi)
    - Flair (Ronaldinho)

Worst qualities of my favourite footballers:
    - Arrogance ([Cristiano] Ronaldo, Henry)
    - Dishonesty (i.e. feigning injury) (Rivaldo)
    - Greed

Kaka is from a very welthy family from Brazilia....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Messi...

Best;

When on the ball he has that aura that only the greats had. Sometimes he is actually magical, I feel some of the things he does (even if they are insignificant in the overall scheme of the match) are truely impossible. I would have loved to have seen Maradona live. I've only got that feeling from Ronaldo (especially when at Barca/ for Brazil) and Zidane occasionally.

You say you love arrogance? Well, Messi isn't your guy if thats the case. He is the one of the most modest players in the modern game if you ask me. When Barca were destroying Atletico last week, Aguirre asked Messi to have mercy in victory. The exact quote from the Atletico manager being;

“I just said to him one must have humility in victory and in defeat and he told me he will not kick us while we are down. He is a gentleman.”

And finally he is determined, when he loses the ball the he will do his very best to retrieve it, I think he has a really good attitude on the pitch most the time. It's no mean feat that at the age of 21 he is the most important player in the team. Barcelona are a different outfit when he plays. He is also loyal, he knows that without Barcelona's development, he would be nothing. He is a youth player at Barca, and I can see him staying for most of his career, unless the club does something retarded like sell him.

Worst;

He has improved this over the past 2 years, but he can still be naive in attack. Sometimes puts too much on his shoulders when a game isnt going FCB's way, he'll try and take on the entire team himself. Whereas if they were winning comfortably he would play the nice pass and open up some space.

On very rare occasions he does sulk. I remember against Espanyol he lost the ball in a challenge, and instead of getting up to try and retrieve it he stayed face down on the ground for an extra few seconds, the same happened last night against Uraguay. Even if he is frustrated, he should try to completely cut out the sulking, as some players these days do it way too much.

He needs to be a little more clinical also. Despite some of his beautiful goals, he does have quite a large amount of his shots blocked by defenders. I still however love him and wouldn't change him for any amount of players in the world... :pac: (unless it was Luis Garcia, what a player!!!!!!!!!! :pac::pac: - The only players I've seen to get a match rating of zero...)

Great post! I think humility is a tremendous quality. I accept that arrogance arises in some players, but I don't like it. Humility is a much more admirable quality both in and out of football. Ronaldo could learn alot from Messi.

Paolo Maldini.

Good:
    Everything about his game and attitude is pretty much prefection personified.

Bad:
    There is NOTHING bad about Paolo Maldini.
    Only thing I can think of is the fact that he is 40 and about to retire but honestly, ffs, he's the mutts nuts!

Seaneh wrote: »
    Paolo Maldini.

Good:

Bad:
    Only thing I can think of is the fact that he is 40 and about to retire but honestly, ffs, he's the mutts nuts!

Pity his kids are going to have to try and live up to being fathered by one of the nicest, most modest, hardest working and incredibly talented footballers of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Seaneh wrote: »
    Paolo Maldini.

Good:

Bad:

I was going to say pretty much the same thing but about Cafu. But all the information about Maldini is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paulo Maldini!! What an absolute legend of the modern game. Players like Ronaldo are so embarrassing to watch when compared to Maldini.

Pity his kids are going to have to try and live up to being fathered by one of the nicest, most modest, hardest working and incredibly talented footballers of all time.

Yeah there's no pressure on his sons except for the fact that Milan are retiring his jersey untill his son is old enough/good enough to wear it... 3rd Generation Milanista, sure no pressure there!

• Advertisement

Just founf out there now that Maldini is a Unicef Ambassador.

Fair play young fella, keep up the good work.

Advertisement