Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City to enter examinership (or worse, receivership)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimmick wrote: »
    If we go bust, Reading lose their unofficial feeder club, so of course they want us to survive :rolleyes:

Tired of this ****e already. Let Arcadia feck off forever, relegate us or whatever, so we can start anew.

I bet the "fans" who drove Brian Lennox out are delighted that they have managed to effectively kill the club.

Bring Back Pat :mad:

Remember the glee with which you welcomed a setback for Drogheda? Karmic, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Lets hope for your sakes that it is just Arkgagia trying to engineer a sale with scare tactics. But part of me would love to see Cobh stay up at the Villages expense.

Only part??? That would actually be quite funny.

Re engineering the whole thing? I would have said so last week, but not anymore. It now just smacks me of an investment company would are using us as a tax write off.

And there is no such thing as karma in football. Fact is, no one, not even the potential investors in CCFC, will learn from this. Guaranteed there will be some other club with more or less the same problems in the next 12 months. And the next 12 etc etc etc.

Anyone with half a brain knew Arcadia were bad news the minute they came in. This whole saga is not surprising in the least.

Never a dull moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cork City have to be relegated now, don't they or at least points deducted? They've had to be of breach of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hang on, my view on it was Rovers were deducted 8 points because they submitted the wrong books.

They didn't get any sanction for going into Examinership through a loophole, but the FAI closed that loophole after the Rovers incident?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

SantryRed wrote: »
    Hang on, my view on it was Rovers were deducted 8 points because they submitted the wrong books.

Correct.
    They didn't get any sanction for going into Examinership through a loophole, but the FAI closed that loophole after the Rovers incident?:confused:

Whether they did or not doesn't make any difference. That league has since been shut down so it's whatever rules the FAI have for their new league and it's 5 year participation agreement that started March 2007.

Surely it's in the new financial "system" that the FAI brought in that a club can't go into any legal financial on-goings mid-season.:confused: You would have though so anyway, but well it's the FAI after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

They won't demote them per say, but could do something like remove all their points? With no squad, they'd be nearly guaranteed to relegate themselves then as even 20 points'd be near impossible to reach? :) Sneaky few quid on Cork to be relegated in the bookies me thinks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Cork City have to be relegated now, don't they or at least points deducted? They've had to be of breach of something.
    Not necessarily; they may be deducted points if it is found that incomplete or inaccurate information was provided to the League’s club licensing committee. As far as I am aware, there is no mandatory punishment for entering examinership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Yes, but they have been appointed an interim examiner who will decide whether they are eligible for the examinership process.

I suspect that Lennox will have stepped in before then and if not, the courts will send cash rich Argaka packing and tell them less of the nonsense and to pay their bills.

• Advertisement

Reports this morning that Cork and Reading have agreed a fee of €250,000 for Mooney:
    Cork City have accepted a bid of approximately €250,000 from Reading for top scorer Dave Mooney, according to reports on Wednesday morning.
    With City having bagged €500,000 from the sale of Roy O’Donovan to Sunderland last year, despite the fact that the player was approaching the end of his contract at Turners Cross, the expectation had been that at least a similar amount would accrue from the sale of Mooney, who is contracted to Cork until the end of the 2010 season.

However, Reading have been able to negotiate a decidedly lesser figure, with Cork’s hands tied by their pressing need for revenue in the wake of the club’s descent into examinership
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=33639

lol. Good job Reading. So much for all of that guff about Mooney going to a top premiership club / Mooney not wanting to leave / Mooney being worth 1m.

That being said, it's a great move for the player if it comes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

He is going for 250,000 as they are bloody desperate at this stage. It will pay off the examiner.

He is going for 250,000 as they are bloody desperate at this stage. It will pay off the examiner.

What does that even mean?

I suspect that Lennox will have stepped in before then and if not, the courts will send cash rich Argaka packing and tell them less of the nonsense and to pay their bills.

Lennox is gone, resigned Monday night and Argaka accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The whole thing is scikening to see.

Arkaga with all their millions will leave the club in the gutter and Cork City's name has been dragged through the mud the past week.

Alan Matthews not even consulted over the sale of Mooney, no sell-on clause included in transfer....:(

• Advertisement

Alan Matthews not even consulted over the sale of Mooney, no sell-on clause included in transfer....:(

In fairness, Reading must loooove doing business with you guys!!

What does that even mean?

It will cover the examiners cost. Apparently they do not do it for free.

The whole thing is scikening to see.

Arkaga with all their millions will leave the club in the gutter and Cork City's name has been dragged through the mud the past week.

As if Cork City had a good name in the first place. Just another franchise to replace all the failures previously representing Cork in the league. Including one called Cork City.

Matthews will have understood not being consulted over the transfer. It was a no-brainer and he does have a background in finance. And CCFC weren't exactly in a strong bargaining position over the transfer. If the boot was on the other foot, they'd have done the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

no sell-on clause included in transfer....:(
    :eek: I hope you're joking??

If not, it's a dreadful bit of business by Cork, even considering the financial trouble they appear to be in.

Disappointing to see another quality player leave the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol. Good job Reading. So much for all of that guff about Mooney going to a top premiership club / Mooney not wanting to leave / Mooney being worth 1m.

That being said, it's a great move for the player if it comes through.

Mooney was very happy in Cork. He wanted to stay and win trophies. Our current situation meant he'd be the first player to be sold. He left for a lot less than he's worth, and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. But sure some people know it all.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Reading must loooove doing business with you guys!!

As a non eL fan, why are you taking such pleasure in this? I must say your ignorance toward the entire situation is astounding.
    If not, it's a dreadful bit of business by Cork, even considering the financial trouble they appear to be in.

No choice in the matter I assume, as its essentially a fire sale happening at present.

As a non eL fan, why are you taking such pleasure in this? I must say your ignorance toward the entire situation is astounding.

As oft goes unnoticed around here, I am a UCD fan (who attends games!). This current situation should serve as a reality check for some of you who live in cloud cuckoo land with regards to the realistic state and potential of the EL.

Also Gimmick, remember these vitriolic posts when Drogheda faced a problem?
    Delighted. Absolutely delighted. Sooner that shower are back as a yo yo club at best, the better for all involved.
    Well, better for me as I pretty much despise them.

How does it feel now with the shoe on the other foot?

And for a good chuckle:
    Pure Cork wrote: »
    We're probably the best run club in the league.
    I'm here to entertain

We're greatly improving off the pitch ever since Arkaga took over. There are still problems, contracts being a major problem, but hopefully Patrick Kenny will be able to sort things out. I think we have a few creditors that need to be paid, but we haven't had a CEO to do it. We're not splashing the cash like Pats.

Are you here all week? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No choice in the matter I assume, as its essentially a fire sale happening at present.
    Yez are just lucky the el window is closed or your rivals would be ripping your team to shreds.

And for a good chuckle:

Are you here all week? :D

Thanks for dragging up lots of old posts, from before it was apparent that our owners wanted to pull out, and the amount of money spent/wasted by a certain person in charge. You clearly knew we would be in receivership back then. :rolleyes: Do tell me what's going to happen next.

Maybe we should all be like UCD? :rolleyes:

Thanks for dragging up lots of old posts, from before it was apparent that our owners wanted to pull out, and the amount of money spent/wasted by a certain person in charge. You clearly knew we would be in receivership back then. :rolleyes: Do tell me what's going to happen next.

Maybe we should all be like UCD? :rolleyes:

Or maybe we shouldn't be as bullish and dogmatic?

In a perfect world every EL club would start cutting back and squeezing every penny that could be squeezed from operating budgets. And the EL fans on this board would start to understand the place of their clubs and league in the grander footballing pyramid.

Or maybe we shouldn't be as bullish and dogmatic?

In a perfect world every EL club would start cutting back and squeezing every penny that could be squeezed from operating budgets. And the EL fans on this board would start to understand the place of their clubs and league in the grander footballing pyramid.

:D Good luck to Pats, Bohs and Drogs. A lot of money was spent unnecessarily at City. It's one of the reason why the plug has been pulled.

What is the position of the LOI in the grander footballing pyramid in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Do tell me what's going to happen next.
    The season will finish without The Bohs having received any money from Liam Carrol and without Drogs getting planning for their new stadium. The FAI will be faced with three of the top 4 clubs being ineligible for a premier division license and will almost certainly fudge any punishments.

We don't need a crystal ball to predict these things, the signs are all there for anyone to see.

Also Gimmick, remember these vitriolic posts when Drogheda faced a problem?

Have I been looking for sympathy? If I have, you could throw those posts at me. I have not. I realise you reap what you sew. We are where we deserve to be at present, due to reckless trading. So I fail to see your point.

Re you being a UCD fan, I did not realise that.
    And the EL fans on this board would start to understand the place of their clubs and league in the grander footballing pyramid.

Its wrong to be ambitious now?

I fail to see your point.
    He was responding to your question, "Why do you take pleasure in this?" by pointing out that you took pleasure in a rival club running into trouble so you should be able to understand his feelings, since you held them recently.

• Advertisement

To be honest while it is terrible to see this happening in the league again, it could not happen to a nicer bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

To be honest while it is terrible to see this happening in the league again, it could not happen to a nicer bunch.

Where has this come from?

On the whole City fans are decent bunch.

Come on, even I disagree with you on that :)

Cork fans have held up 'Kilcoyne our Hero' banners against Rovers and took similar delight when Shels were in trouble. Thats before we get into the interweb forum nonsense, on here especially vitriolic against Drogs.

Karma etc. You took pleasure in other clubs misfortune. Now its our turn.

John_C wrote: »
    The season will finish without The Bohs having received any money from Liam Carrol and without Drogs getting planning for their new stadium. The FAI will be faced with three of the top 4 clubs being ineligible for a premier division license and will almost certainly fudge any punishments.

We don't need a crystal ball to predict these things, the signs are all there for anyone to see.

Any fudging of punishment by the FAI will probably see legal action from other clubs.

Karma etc. You took pleasure in other clubs misfortune. Now its our turn.

Ya, we are in the height of trouble due to my troublemaking. That'll teach me :rolleyes:

The Rovers fans ain't whiter than white in their chants. I seem to remember a certain "Wayne O Donohue is a hoop" chant in 2005 and 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

No, think you're one of the few decent ones. Just look at the thread after the Bohs Cork match on foot.ie, cork moderator wishing Healy had finished Joxers career and worse with more cork fans spewing abuse.

Who is CCFC mod there now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bohsman wrote: »
    No, think you're one of the few decent ones. Just look at the thread after the Bohs Cork match on foot.ie, cork moderator wishing Healy had finished Joxers career and worse with more cork fans spewing abuse.
    Yeah, foot.ie is a cess pit at the best of times.

Horribly biased moderation (even worse than this place at times :p), you can't say shít about Cork City but they get to peddle all their grievances with nary a word said against. Woe betide you if you pull them up on it.

Bunch of bastards.

The bloody lot of them.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Any fudging of punishment by the FAI will probably see legal action from other clubs.
    Drogs are playing in United Park this season aren't they? I'd be very surprised if they're made move to Dundalk or Dublin next year. The same goes for Harps, if they stay up. The rules are already being fudged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The rules state that they can basically do whatever they like.

According to the licensing
    "The FAI Club Licensing Committee has the power to withdraw any licence or apply any sanction during a season if the Licensee:
    o no longer satisfies any single criteria for issuing the licence;
    o violates any of its obligations, duties, confirmations or undertakings under thisManual, Contract or Confidentiality Agreement
    o Is involved in a bankruptcy, receivership, examinership or liquidation process, or is struck off the Companies' Register"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

A Face, Dodge originally locked the thread but looks as if half the posts in the thread were deleted.

The rules state that they can basically do whatever they like.

According to the licensing
    "The FAI Club Licensing Committee has the power to withdraw any licence or apply any sanction during a season if the Licensee:
    o no longer satisfies any single criteria for issuing the licence;
    o violates any of its obligations, duties, confirmations or undertakings under thisManual, Contract or Confidentiality Agreement
    o Is involved in a bankruptcy, receivership, examinership or liquidation process, or is struck off the Companies' Register"

That's a load of bollix.

The penalty should be laid out in black and white for something like examinership.

I presume everyone's aware of this by now, but anyway:
    Former Limerick FC owner Danny Drew has announced his intention to assume control of Cork City. A consortium led by Drew is hoping to hold talks with examiner Kieran McCarthy of Hughes Blake in the near future to discuss buying out the Leesiders' current owners, the Arkaga Fund.

Drew says the consortium will settle a portion of the clubs debts immediately and pay back the remainder over a 10-year period.

"Our plan would be to settle the debts say 30 per cent of them up front to all creditors and pay the rest over a 10-year period," he told the Cork's Evening Echo today.

"We are only interested in buying the club outright rather than pumping money in with Arkaga still in place."

Drew is reportedly not the only party interested in the club but he is the first to make his intentions public.

The sale of Dave Mooney to Reading this month has alleviated some of the financial strain on Cork but the club's debt is still believed to be in the region of €1.1 million, with the Revenue Commissioners owed some €360,000.

The Examiner is meeting the staff and players this morning. Heads will roll. I expect the manager to leave, a few players to be farmed out and contracts canceled at players own request.

The loss to Wexford the other night was more damaging that embarrassing I'm afraid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

all on and off the field staff have agreed to take an interim 70% wage cut

two off the field staff have been let go

a number of staff have been made part time

fair play to every single member of the staff at the club, every single one of them deserves tremendous credit for doing what must be an already difficult job for 30% of the pay

**** ARKAGA

I HOPE THE ***** ROT IN HELL, EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THE BASTARDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Roar wrote: »
    all on and off the field staff have agreed to take an interim 70% wage cut

two off the field staff have been let go

a number of staff have been made part time

fair play to every single member of the staff at the club, every single one of them deserves tremendous credit for doing what must be an already difficult job for 30% of the pay

**** ARKAGA

I HOPE THE ***** ROT IN HELL, EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THE BASTARDS

Never a dull moment as a City fan eh :mad:

Fair play to the players and members of staff that have agreed to it...and also for communicating with the fans by releasing the statement on the website, more than them ******* arkaga have done!!

Sad to see Kevin Mullen and Adrian Desmond go, has to be done I guess. Have dealt with Adrian many a time,and he has always been so helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Best of luck to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why would Joe Gamble stick around when he could just piss off to Pats and earn 100% of a wage:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fair play to the staff for taking the cut, if indeed they are.

What is this Foras thing all about? Will they raise enough to buy the club? Are Arkaga gone now, or what?

But one burning issue I need answered. Is Slick still employed by the club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Why would Joe Gamble stick around when he could just piss off to Pats and earn 100% of a wage:confused:

but but but hes a cork fan, he turned us down for more money with cork and he loves them.......... .

we selling fahey this weekend should be an interesting weekend in EL circles.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement