Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    Celtic sign Paul Hartley today from Hearts. Very good player but not exactly a priority. He's also ineligible for the CL this season and he's 30. A replacement for Lennon is needed but Hartley is just another attacking midfielder. Unless Strachan wants to play him and Gravesen in midfield together.

He was involved with the disgruntlement at Hearts so I think given his quality and probably 'cheap/good value' price, I think its a good deal for Celtic. He's not needed this season but next season is only 6 months away! ;-)

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

eirebhoy wrote:
    Looks like Maloney is off to Villa, on Sky Sports News. Terrible news. :( 16 goals and 20 odd assists last season. He'll be a star in the premiership, no doubt about it imo.

I know there's a strict wage structure at Celtic but I'd have given Maloney what he reportedly wanted. It'd cost an awful lot more to replace him, he's much better than Riordan. From an Irish point of view at least McGeady has less competition for a spot.

Gutted!:( Villa are getting a great player in Shaun. Will be looking forward to seeing how he'll do in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Fúck Maloney, no loyality to a club that stuck right by him when he was seriously injured for 18 months. He'll flop like Petrov, Miller and all the rest that followed the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I doubt very much he'll be a flop. He's a class act. Fantastic player.

I'm a bit surprised to see Maloney go, although Celtic were not relying on him this season.

From an Ireland perspective, this does give McGeady a bigger opportunity at Celtic now as Maloney and himself were sort of competing for places. Now all Aiden has to do is continue to improve his end-product, and with more matches he has the chance to do that.

Redspider

I think McGeady's end product is ok tbh. I don't think you're saying it's bad but plenty of people think he's all tricks and no end product. He's practising shooting a lot apparantly and has 5 goals this season. He also has 7 assists. The thing is though that none of those assists were crosses. Most of them were through balls. He really needs to work on his crossing but he definitely doesn't see himself as a winger anyway. Strachan doesn't like to play wingers in the old fashioned sense. He wants his players cutting in, a bit like Ronaldino and Messi/Giuly at Barca. The full backs do the crossing.

4-1 today. 2nd half was a stroll.

Dodgy highlights:
    http://media.putfile.com/livingston-v-celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Good win today with Naka playing very well. Riordan scored a sweet goal with his left for his second and could make the loss of Maloney just a memory. Here we go again off to Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the next round that should have Lennon chomping at the bit.

Strachan: "We were watching a genius at work today. We all hear about his limitations. It's said he doesn't tackle. So what? He's incredibly brave because if you watch how he uses his feet, he takes kicks and it hurts - yet he puts in incredible passes."

• Advertisement

From BreakingNews.ie:

Celtic winger Aiden McGeady has signed a new four-and-a-half-year contract.

The 20-year-old had more than a year remaining on his previous deal, however Celtic have made no secret of their desire to keep him at the club on longer terms.

McGeady, a Republic of Ireland international, told [url]www.celticfc.net:[/url] “I’m delighted to agree this new contract with Celtic and commit my future to the club.

“I’ve enjoyed my time immensely with Celtic so far and I’m now looking forward very much to the future and the challenges that lie ahead.”

Shaun who?

Gillie wrote:
    Celtic winger Aiden McGeady has signed a new four-and-a-half-year contract. The 20-year-old had more than a year remaining on his previous deal, however Celtic have made no secret of their desire to keep him at the club on longer terms.

Thats good news for Celtic, and for Ireland. Now lets see how he performs over the next few seasons, and tomorrow night.

redspider

He pulled out of the Ireland squad last week through injury.

Plenty of happy Celtic fans today:
    http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44402

eirebhoy wrote:
    He pulled out of the Ireland squad last week through injury.

I cant remember everything ;-)

Ireland shouldn't need McGeady tonight. Duff back, but he's gotta be rusty.

Interview:
    [URL]mms://channel67.celticfc.net/ondem/News/2007-02-06_am.wmv[/URL]

Strachan:
    “To come in today and have Aiden signing is great for everybody. I’ve just been speaking to the coaches and they’re delighted.

“Aiden’s shown trust in us – these are good years for him to learn the game and he’s trusted us to try and look after him that way, and we trust him and we believe he’s got a lot to offer.

“This has been going on for a few months. I’ve spoken to Aiden’s dad as well. He’s been in – not for the financial side – but just to see where the future lies and what he sees happening with Aiden, which is good.

“Usually you have to deal with agents over the phone so it’s nice to speak to a parent who wants to know what we see in the future for Aiden and what will happen.

“But the talks have all been about football and the financial thing has just been a matter of weeks.

“He brings goals, he brings excitement to the crowd, excitement to the players. We know he can beat people. He’s got good energy, he can get up and down the park.

“Physically he’s not bad as well, he’s been working on that, but there’s still more to be done and that will be the great challenge for Aiden and myself and the rest of the coaching staff, but he’s going to be a great asset, that’s for sure.

“At the moment Aiden’s just searching for what makes him the player he’ll be looking to be. When you get to 27-30 I think you’ve got the complete player.

“Aiden’s impatient because he’s looking for it now but we have to tell him that’ll come, and to use his assets at the right time. That’s just learning.

“When I look back to when I was 20 I never knew the game at all. I thought I knew a lot about the game but when I look back on it I knew very little at all about the game and what made me tick and what made me more valuable to the team. I only really started learning that in my late 20s.

“We have to have people who have the ability to beat players. I think it’s a must at this club.

“Also, like we showed the other day, there were 21 passes before we got the goal so we’ve got to have people who can pass the ball, we have to have people who can defend, so we have to have a lot of things in our locker to beat teams, and Aiden’s got a lot of that.

“The game is all about different facets and he (Aiden) has got a lot. It’s just putting them all together now in a package which is more beneficial for Aiden, the team and the club. But there’s plenty there and I’m so excited. It’s been a great, great day.

“We had good signings during the transfer window and now Aiden’s signed a new contract and it’s like signing a new player.

“And hopefully by the time we get to the end of Aiden’s contract we’ll be looking to give him another good contract and we’ll be watching a top, top player at work.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    Looks like the Milan-Celtic game is being moved to either Switzerland or France. http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/02/07/SOCCER_Italian.html

Looks like my trip to Milan is off :(. Luckily i should only lose my deposit, other fans may not be so lucky

I have too mates who have paid for the tickets and the flights!:(

Paid for everything here aswell, hopefully there will be good news in the morning but im not holding my breath.

The minority has ruined it for genuine well behaved football fans, ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

This may be of interest to traveling fans:
    SJP mooted as
    San Siro stand-in

Champions League football could be returning to Tyneside next month, after it was confirmed that St.James' Park is one of the grounds under consideration to host the upcoming AC Milan versus Celtic tie.

New measures being implemented in Italy after the recent disturbances on Sicily mean that Milan would only be able to host the tie (scheduled for March 7th) at home behind closed doors.

However the Serie A side are now reported as actively seeking an alternative venue, with vice-president Adriano Galliani commenting:

"It's obvious we want to play at the San Siro with open doors and as far as the Champions League is concerned, yesterday I spoke to Platini and we are free to play at home, maybe behind closed doors, or away.

"Geneva and Newcastle have offered to let us play there. I think it's fundamentally unjust to close a stadium like the San Siro on which we have already spent 20 million euros for works which are never-ending."

The Glasgow club have played friendly matches on Tyneside twice in the last decade (Beardsley and Shearer testimonials).

Newcastle issued a brief statement on Thursday afternoon regarding this matter, pointing out that were we to beat Waregem we'd be hosting Fenerbahce or AZ Alkmaar in the UEFA Cup 24 hours after the proposed Celtic fixture:

"We did receive an enquiry about this possibility although logistically there are several difficulties.

"The calendar shows a home fixture in the UEFA Cup 24 hours later if we qualify for the last 16."

http://www.nufc.com/

• Advertisement

The decision is today according to BBC. Milan don't want to play behind closed doors so if fans aren't allowed it'll almost certainly be in a neutral venue. Anyway, it's Milan's choice where the game will be played.

Good win today. Nobody played to the best of their ability except Boruc tbh. Lennon, Hartley, McGeady, Naka, Miller and Beattie all could have done better while the defence was caught out a few times. We rely on Jan too much. Great cross by McGeady for the goal.

I find it amazing how Strachan has thrown Wilson straight back into the team after injury immediately yet people think he's biased towards Telfer. Great to have him back just in time for the Champions league.

Also, suprising to see Sheridan on the bench. I don't even know if he was a Celtic player last season. He's scoring consistantly for the youths this year. Strachan must like what he see's. He's only about 17 or 18 and has already got into the squad ahead of Finnbogason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

is that sheridan lad from cavan by any chance?

Yeah, he's from Cavan. Cillian Sheridan. 18 in 2 weeks time.

Wilson has been unlucky with his foot injuries but I think he's a fantastic full back.

Naylor deserves an England Call Up too. I heard they played a right side midfielder at left back the other night. He definately deserves a chance in the England team to show McClaren what he can do. I've no doubt that he wont let him down.

I caught a bit of the Full SPL discussion programme recently and one of the blokes was saying that Hearts have 63 or something registered players! That is a collossal amount.

As Hearts go into meltdown, it is a pity for the SPL in general and for neutrals and observers, although the nature of the meltdown sounds like it is fully deserved. In Hearts case, money cant buy you 'love' (or success). But overall for Celtic, Hearts' troubles are good news, especially with the addition to the ranks of good ex-Hearts players. More players are likely to leave and with the goalie Gordon it is just a matter of time.

If anyone wanted to make a learning case example of how not to run a football club, the Hearts situation would fit that very closely.

Redspider

I think that would include reserves and youths, Celtic have about 80 registered players

Dempsey wrote:
    I think that would include reserves and youths, Celtic have about 80 registered players
    You wouldn't know if that includes youths and reserves. :) They sign tons of players in every window. They've something like 15 players on loan from Kaunas.

In other news:
    AC Milan have today confirmed that the forthcoming UEFA Champions League away tie will go ahead as planned on Wednesday, March 7, with a capacity of around 40,000.

Celtic’s initial allocation of 4,850 tickets will remain in place and AC Milan do hope to have this capacity increased, but await confirmation on this point.

Celtic's Chief Executive, Peter Lawwell commented: “We are pleased that our supporters will be able to attend this match as initially planned and look forward to an exciting game in the San Siro.

"Celtic officials, together with representatives of Strathclyde Police will be travelling to Italy to meet with AC Milan and the Italian authorities to ensure that we are satisfied with all arrangements put in place for this match.

“Club representatives have also been invited to attend the forthcoming Inter Milan v Valencia Champions League match on Wednesday to observe matchday arrangements.

"Celtic supporters have an impeccable record of behaviour and we are sure that our fans will play their part in making this match another great European occasion for the club.

Mr Lawwell added: "Again, the club would like to stress very strongly that Celtic supporters should not travel to Italy unless they have purchased a ticket through official Celtic FC channels.”

Those supporters who are travelling officially will be updated on all matters in relation to the match, security and otherwise, early next week.

Interim Results

Operational Highlights

• Lead the Bank of Scotland Premierleague by 19 points
    • Qualification for the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League
    • Continued participation in the Tennents Scottish Cup
    • 18 home matches played at Celtic Park in the period (2005: 15)
    • Successful launch of international and domestic away kits
    • Construction of the training academy at Lennoxtown progressing well

Financial Highlights

• Group turnover increased by 41.6% to £46.80m.
    • Operating expenses increased by 8.5% to £32.04m.
    • Profit from operations of £14.76m (2005: £3.50m).
    • Gain on sale of intangible fixed assets £7.12m (2005: £nil)
    • Profit before taxation of £17.94m (2005: Loss of £0.96m).
    • Period end bank debt of £10.94m (2005: £8.57m).
    • Investment in players of £6.32m (2005: £6.55m).

Also other stuff they have done

* Football Development Manager: John Park
    * Scouting Network: 16 Countries
    * 2 Highly Regarded Sports Scientists
    * 1 Oz Rules Fitness Coach
    * Lennoxtown Construction is going well

We are looking good for the future

• Advertisement

Full report:
    http://www.celticfc.net/corporate/reports/Celtic%20plc%20Interims%202006_140207.pdf

Outsanding figures. Ironically turnover is exactly double that of Rangers for the same period (£23m).
    • Group turnover increased by 41.6% to £46.80m.
    Quinn said the ratio of labour costs (players only) to turnover was 31.6%. I assume that means the amount paid to players over those 6 months was £14.78m. That's a very low wage bill. Around £2.5m a month.
    • Profit before taxation of £17.94m (2005: Loss of £0.96m).
    Quinn said in the report that's the profit "after interest and taxation".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

eirebhoy wrote:
    Full report:
    http://www.celticfc.net/corporate/reports/Celtic%20plc%20Interims%202006_140207.pdf

Outsanding figures. Ironically turnover is exactly double that of Rangers for the same period (£23m).

Quinn said the ratio of labour costs (players only) to turnover was 31.6%. I assume that means the amount paid to players over those 6 months was £14.78m. That's a very low wage bill. Around £2.5m a month.

Quinn said in the report that's the profit "after interest and taxation".

Jesus lads if celtic had the sky sports football money we'd be laughing and be able to attract the top players from spain etc..

eirebhoy wrote:

No he meant the absolute amount earned by the club to the amount spent on players wages is only 31%, AFAIK.

Ratio of Total Labour Costs to Turnover

* 54.7% (2003)
    * 58.7% (2004)
    * 60.2% (2005)
    * 56.6% (2006) (No SC or UCL football, almost 24 players left from the MON era)
    * 40.7% (Interim 2006) (It was 51.9% Interim 2005)

I think this is the key figure for Celtic going forward. The pay/performance wage structure will ensure that this percentage wont spike if we fail to qualify for the UCL again. (i.e. financial stability when the disaster of no UCL strikes)

Dempsey wrote:
    No he meant the absolute amount earned by the club to the amount spent on players wages is only 31%, AFAIK.

60.2% 2005 Annual Report
    47.1% 2006 Annual Report (No European Football)

I know it looks good because we earned alot in this 6 months but its a massive step in the right direction
    Could you explain it a bit better to me as I'm not very knowledgeable on this kind of thing? :) In Quinn's statement he says:

"The ratio of labour costs (total and football) to turnover was 40.7% and 31.6% (respectively), compared with 51.9% and 40.1% a year ago; and 56.6% and 44.5% at the end of June last year."

31.6% of £46.8m is £14.8m. I assume the turnover figure he's talking about is the one in this report for the last 6 months.

Group turnover increased by 41.6% to £46.80m.

The ratio of labour costs (total and football) to turnover was 40.7% and 31.6% (respectively)

Total = 40.7% of £46.80m = £19.05m
    Football = 31.6% of £46.80m £14.8m

Dont mind me, i think I read your post incorrectly

> Group turnover increased by 41.6% to £46.80m.
    > Operating expenses increased by 8.5% to £32.04m.
    > Profit from operations of £14.76m (2005: £3.50m).
    > Gain on sale of intangible fixed assets £7.12m (2005: £nil)
    > Profit before taxation of £17.94m (2005: Loss of £0.96m).
    > Period end bank debt of £10.94m (2005: £8.57m).
    > Investment in players of £6.32m (2005: £6.55m).

Some interesting figures there. Whilst its good to have the club on a stable financial footing as there is low-ish debt and profits are good, there is another way of looking at it.

For one, the profits are very very high in percentage terms. Granted, it was a windfall period, but operational profit at nearly 15m is over 30% of turnover (at 47m)! In business terms, the owners of Celtic are not investing as much as they could, in fact, far from it. That means that Celtic could easily afford to spend on a more expensive (=better?) squad of players. In other words, Desmond and other owners are short-changing the fans, at least it would seem to be like that from this financial period snapshot.

Over time, it will remain to be seen what happens with the money thats accrued, and how it is spent when there are 'rainy days' and less succesful periods, but at the moment Desmond is quids in and he's not splashing it about on footballers.

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    For one, the profits are very very high in percentage terms. Granted, it was a windfall period, but operational profit at nearly 15m is over 30% of turnover (at 47m)! In business terms, the owners of Celtic are not investing as much as they could, in fact, far from it. That means that Celtic could easily afford to spend on a more expensive (=better?) squad of players. In other words, Desmond and other owners are short-changing the fans, at least it would seem to be like that from this financial period snapshot.

Over time, it will remain to be seen what happens with the money thats accrued, and how it is spent when there are 'rainy days' and less succesful periods, but at the moment Desmond is quids in and he's not splashing it about on footballers.

Redspider

Desmond invested £10M to underwrite the cost of Lennoxtown last October and now cannot invest more without causing a takeover bid. Other people arent investing what he's invested into Celtic, thats the problem

A nice 12.30 kickoff tomorrow morning against Aberdeen, on Setanta. Looks like Riordan is still out injured so McGeady should start and try and make the team for Tuesday's big match.

Strachan shouldn't play Pressley or Hartley since they're not eligible for the CL but for some reason I think he will. It's vital that the defence gets a game together before the Milan match.

Here's Quinn on Strachan:
    "But Gordon is absolutely vital to what we are doing here. He has been exceptional for us, a dream football manager. He is a keen student of the game, has great man-management skills and enjoys a good relationship with the board. He doesn't like what the board do all the time - no manager does - but he gets on with his work without complaining. He is perfectly happy at Celtic, absorbed if not obsessed by the club, and sees the opportunity to take us further. Gordon's idea of a good night is watching two football videos rather than one."

I wouldn't swap Strachan for anyone atm tbh.

Gordon Strachan came to Celtic and after Bratislava, Motherwell & Clyde, things didnt look good but those people underestimated the task of rebuilding the squad after MON left. 20+ players that were first team players at on point or another left the club and a year later he's smelling like roses and rightly so.

Considering the task he had to do, there is very few managers in the world that could have done what he did, better. I wouldnt swap him either.

• Advertisement

Aberdeen 0-2 Celtic (so far) 26 mins gone

A good finish from Beattie after beating the offside trap on the right hand side and running through finishing from about 15 yards out, being put through by Nakamura.

Then, a beautifully taken free-kick scored by Nakamura from the circle at the edge of the box, in the centre. Seemingly, its 8 goals from free-kicks from him this season. Not to label him with a maligned moniker perhaps, but definitly Beckham-esque in terms of his free-kick ability.

A good warm-up game for the Milan match.

Redspider

It's 8 goals from free kicks in his Celtic career RS. :) That's his 9th of the season, he also got his 20th assist of the season with the pass to Beattie. Even without those though he has been without doubt the best player on the pitch. He passed the ball 4 times within 20 seconds in the lead up the freekick. The kind of playmaking that ziggy doesn't appreciate. ;):D His off the ball work has been fantastic too.

The best I've felt at half time in a long time.

On another note, I jumped up when that freekick was won on the edge of the box. It makes you realise how few we actually get in that area.

Am I the only one that thinks Aberdeen's goal was a mile offside? Setanta didn't show a view from the side but it looked to me like Mackie made the run before the ball was flicked to him.

Anyway, 2nd half was a stroll for the most part. Jarosik is never going to make it at Celtic.

Match highlights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5HE9HEVgLE&eurl=

On another note, Milan drawing 2-2 at half time. Their defence is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ac Milan have only one recognised striker for the game against Celtic on Tuesday, Ricardo Oliveira. He ain't up to much either. Great chance for Celtic to keep AC scoreless and maybe nick a goal . .

• Advertisement

If it was the away game I'd say that but I expect Milan to have those tactics on Tuesday. :) They'll sit back, play on the break and hopefully (for them) get a goal while keeping a clean sheet. We should have most of the possession. Completely different to the Man Utd game...hopefully.

From a betting point of view I try not to bet with my heart so I think the 2/1 odds are excellent. I really expect us to win. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Eirebhoy are you going to any of the matches? Is anyone going to any of the matches Im going to the away game cant wait :D

I'm sure ziggy said he's going.

Going to the Milan match in the San Siro

> It's 8 goals from free kicks in his Celtic career RS.

Yeah, I think he said 8 free-kick goals from 15 goals in total or something like that, and that's his Celtic career total I take it.

Okay, thats the SPL 'slumber' part done. Now the action begins with Celtic v AC Milan. I think we may need a seperate thread which covers both matches (halves of the tie) for that. AC Milan are weaker than they have been for many a season, so no better time to play them. They are still very dangerous of course, Kaka et al, but I think Celtic could definitely skin them at home and the crowd will be behind them 200%. Shoud be a good night.

Redspider

• Advertisement
Advertisement