Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Excellent win today. Coming back from 1 down to win 2-1. Van Hesselink & Jarosik score :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A great win for Celtic at Hearts yesterday, coming back from behind and with this win it's another step on the way to the title.

I missed Pressley's move to Celtic over the Xmas perriod while I was away. He was up for it yesterday and is proving a useful add to the Celtic team. I was surprised to see that he was mad captain however. I didnt think that Zurawski did that well, Jarosik did quite well, good movement in what is arguably McGeady's position. A pity that Aiden didnt feature but good to see O'Dea doing well.

I see there has been a bit of discussion about Nakamura on this thread but yesterday I thought he didnt do that well imo.

As for the Brady discussion:
    > Brady is youth director of Arsenal so he does have a qualified opinion

From what I've heard from Brady over last 5 years he does speak a lot of sense on many topics and can judge most players reasonably well. However, he can also let his allegiances taint his opinions, so for example, when it comes to Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc, and probably Celtic as well.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    I see there has been a bit of discussion about Nakamura on this thread but yesterday I thought he didnt do that well imo.
    Naka was as good as ever yesterday considering he had about 20% of the possession he'd usually get at Celtic Park. Passing was as good as ever. There was an interview with Naka in the Evening Times last week.
    The Bhoy manager Gordon Strachan considers his Japanese genius has a reputation for looking uncomfortable in away games, where tight parks, and even tighter marking, can dilute his abilities.

Naka admits nowhere affords him less space and opportunity to perform than Tynecastle.

And even before his interpreter relays the question, does he enjoy playing at the home of Hearts, Naka lets slip a gentle laugh before admitting games there can literally pass him by.
    continued...

He said: "It is a very small pitch and, because of that, everyone goes for the long balls.

"So we need to be ready for that style and that makes Hearts difficult to play against."
    I'd do anything for Setanta to show all our home games instead of the away one's as people would then see Naka regularly at his best. :) Every time he got the ball yesterday he took the right choice. That's all you want from a player, especially of Naka's ability.

If you recognise how intelligient Naka is then you appreciate him a lot more. He certainly wouldn't have been driving home yesterday saying to himself he could have done much better (bar his goalscoring chance).

Strachan really needs to try out the 4-5-1. It would fit in our 3 most creative players (Naka, McGeady, Maloney). It would allow Naka to play centrally where he controls games. It would suit Gravesen a lot more too and Vennegoor is well used to it from his PSV days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Yeah but tbh we haven't got 1 centre half who I'd be happy heading into the Milan match. As it is only O'Dea and McManus are available for the 1st leg afaik. O'Dea has potential but McManus is an Andy O'Brien, always will be ordinary.

What's the thoughts on Gravesen? A lot of Celtic fans disappointed with him. I think he'll definitely be a success. He's better than Petrov, although he hasn't shown much of his best. Gravesen is a big game player while Petrov's best games were against the poorer teams. Look at Gravesen's assist stats here:
    http://premiersoccerstats.com/PlayerHome.cfm?PlayerId=GRAVEST

12 assists in 22 games in his final season at Everton. :eek: He's a much better passer than I thought he was, I had him down as more like a Gattuso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gravesen will never get back the form of that 5 month period at Everton. For the wages he's on he should be doing 3 times better than he is and he'd be on alot more if the medical didnt show up his dodgy knee.

I hope he can play better but he's not doing enough for me.

Big game player? Like the two fúck ups in the Man Utd match big match player?? That wasnt the only big game where he was a shadow

Well I definitely think he's better than Petrov. Petrov hid in the big European games, Gravesen never does. 13 premiership assists in 02/03 and a successful international career, more than a good 5 months. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

eirebhoy wrote:
    Well I definitely think he's better than Petrov. Petrov hid in the big European games, Gravesen never does. 13 premiership assists in 02/03 and a successful international career, more than a good 5 months. :)
    Graveson better than Petrov!! :eek: Are you having a laugh? Gravas passing is all over the shop. Definitely no where as near as good as Stan.

BTW Whats the story with no McGeady playing??? One of the most talented players in the squad warming the bench....I just don't get it. Has Strachan fallen out with him or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

dont rate gravesen anywhere near petrov sorry eirebhoy :(. He simply at celtic hasn't done enough to get that much respect from me as i had for petrov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eirebhoy wrote:
    Petrov hid in the big European games, Gravesen never does.

For me, Gravesen was the worst player on the pitch at Old Trafford in September. He mightn't hide but that doesn't mean he plays well.

• Advertisement

Well he played better in Copenhagen than Petrov ever would have done if he played in that match. Actually, that Copenhagen match showed me how creative Gravesen is when most people probably said he had a poor game. Copenhagen created absolutely nothing in open play (seriously) while Celtic created more chances than we usually do away in the SPL. With Naka being rested, Maloney injured and McGeady not performing Gravesen was the main creator that night. If Larsson was up front he would have scored 3 or 4. He also won the ball back 5 or 6 times. It's amazing what you can see when you watch a replay of the game. :)

In fact, if Petrov put in the performance Gravesen did that night he would have been praised. Different expectation levels if you ask me.

I was pretty sure Petrov would be as successful as Barry Ferguson in the premiership. An average performer, nothing special. Gravesen is trying too hard atm and it's making him look like a headless chicken (as many people are calling him). In the 2nd half on Sunday he swapped roles with Sno and played the holding role. He looked much more composed and had to be a lot more disciplined and stick to the one position. If he would just settle down a bit he'd be great. He has a fantastic range of passing.

I think Tommy will be a success anyway. :) The team is way too unsettled atm. Has Strachan stuck to the same team for 2 games in a row yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    For me, Gravesen was the worst player on the pitch at Old Trafford in September. He mightn't hide but that doesn't mean he plays well.

I agree that he didnt have a great game and was probably at fault for two of the goal but it's his heart and commitment that the Celtic fans will love. Every team needs a player who sweats blood, closes down players the whole match, scores goals, wins tackles and creates chances.

He has been doing this regularly in the SPL, he will need to do this in europe to gain the respect of all Celtic fans.

Naylor has been a revelational I think. Nakamura maybe deserves POTY ahead of him but Naylor has been fairly consistent throughout.

Naylor was my motm against Hearts, thought he was excellent.

Maybe we should appoint Naka manager just for the Milan game:
    Q. Please describe Milan players in short phrases;

About KAKA: “physically strong and fast”
    Inzaghi: ‘furbo’ ‘malicia’ = clever but sly (used in positive meaning to praise a
    footballer in Italy)

Dida: “Personally I think he is the best (=most skilled) GK in the world”
    Gattuso: “fierce fighter”
    Seedorf: physically strong. “He’s got a steel body, so if you hit him right in his leg, you’ll easily get hurt. When I was in Reggina, I had once made a sliding tackle against him at the risk of getting a yellow card as somebody had to stop him. I knew I stomped on his ankle but it was I that got a sore in my legs.”

Pirlo: “has a good game reading ability and very good passing"

"Pirlo usually positions in front of the 4 backs and makes accurate middle passes with strategic estimate of situations, and can turn the tide with just one play. Pirlo is the one that virtually gets behind the wheel of the team of Milan. I personally think that we (Celtic) are inclined to have a disadvantage in fighting with a team that takes ‘triple volante’ system (e.g. Hearts in SPL, Benfica and Milan in CL) --(volante is a defensive midfielder position referred to in Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese) as they are always able to exploit their numerical advantage in the MF by possessing the ball freely when they are on the offense.
    While their 3 volante’s plus their sidebacks are on the attack (which is in total 5 men on the attack), we are always one men lesser than them to defense them. Right MF (e.g. Naka) and LMF (e.g. Aiden) have to take care of their sidebacks, which leaves other 2 MFs to take care of their 3 men, and such numerical disadvantage will become a chronic burden to our 4 backs. As to Milan, we are more disadvantaged because they take the diamond MF formation with KaKa in top of it (behind two strikers), which forces us to take care both of Pirlo (with that ball keeping and passing ability to pierce through the DF) and Kaka (with that finishing power to burst through the DF) at the same time under such numerical disadvantage. (: you’ve got to take care of the hot-line of Pirlo and Kaka) . They will easily leave us exposed in the MF with that formation.
    Milan side makes it a rule that the 4 backs should entrust the ball to Pirlo anytime, and Pirlo has a good positional sense to get such ball freely from the backs. Every attack begins from Pirlo, so I personally think that we must make sure that Pirlo is always man-marked, never let him do the job, (and then we may have a chance.)"
    He goes into plenty of detail. :D

In terms of Gravesen v Petrov, they are different types of players. Gravesen is more gritsy and physical and less skillful than Petrov, who is clearly more creative. I'm sure I saw him Petrov do one or two things in Rangers matches over the years which for me count as big games. Most midfields need both types of players so perhaps its not a case of either or. Anyway, Petrov is gone now so we cant do an apples to apples (on the same pitch) comparison.

I think vd Sno is a useful asset, although is more a 'journey-man' type of player than a creative star. Still he seems seady and was able to perform okay against Hearts.

Back to Nakamura. By his own admission then he says that he dissapears at matches at Tynecastle and elsewhere away. I dont want to critisize him or anything but surely this is a needed quality from a player, to be able to perform anywhere and adjust your style and effectiveness accordingly? Also, if he is so bad in these games, why doesnt Gordon put on someone else instead.

In terms of his analysis of Milan, its true, Pirlo is the playmaker. However, I cant see Gordy opting for a man-marking tactic on him. For one, that skill is seldom used in the game and players are not very good at it these days - it is a lost skill. He could try Gravesen perhaps or vd Sno, a new Rijkaard, well, maybe not. If Celtic also play diamond, Jarosik on the top, then cutting out Prilo would be his job. I am sure that Gordy will pick a good team to counter Milan.

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    Back to Nakamura. By his own admission then he says that he dissapears at matches at Tynecastle and elsewhere away. I dont want to critisize him or anything but surely this is a needed quality from a player, to be able to perform anywhere and adjust your style and effectiveness accordingly? Also, if he is so bad in these games, why doesnt Gordon put on someone else instead.
    He's not bad in away games, in fact you could probably count his bad games for Celtic on one hand. He's one of our best performers away from home but that's only a fraction of what he shows at home. He played as well as he possibly could on Sunday. The game where he got the hattrick (Dundee Utd) was actually the worst I've seen from Naka in terms of passing. There's nothing he can do if he's not getting the ball. He actually got more of the ball on Sunday than he usually would away from home.

It's up to Strachan to play in him a central role which is his best position. If Riquelme played on the left wing for Celtic on Sunday he wouldn't have played any better than Naka.

I think because Naka is a skillful player people expect him to try and beat players and show a few tricks but he's a playmaker just like Pirlo or Alonso. The difference is he's weak and not a great tackler so will never play in the role they play in. The only player close to Naka's wavelength is Maloney and I think we're really missing him for the quick passing game.

From next season the team that finishes bottom of the English premiership gets £30m in TV revenue. Every place in the league is worth another £1m up to £50m for the winners.

Celtic get £2m for winning the league.

:(

eirebhoy wrote:
    From next season the team that finishes bottom of the English premiership gets £30m in TV revenue. Every place in the league is worth another £1m up to £50m for the winners.

Just be glad they're not in the Eircom League so... :)

Whats the latest on Lafferty? I was at the Burnley game on Saturday and he was one of the few players who impressed me, he's certainly a big guy, but his goal-scoring record isn't great.

I think that deal was dead as soon as their manager said he's worth at least £6m. :) I wouldn't even say Strachan would have went to £2m for him.

eirebhoy wrote:

That sucks! Celtic need to get out of that league as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement

There are two things I'd like to discuss.

I read today that Martin O'Neill has sold all his shares in Celtic to Denis O'Brien. I am on record as not being an afficiando of O'Brien due to his alleged nefarious dealings in the 2nd mobile licence deal in Ireland and a certain Michael Lowry. I am dissapointed to see more of Celtic go to someone like that. Dermot Desmond is no saint either but many of his deals are bona fide.

eirebhoy wrote:

The English league/premiership have done a fantastic job at selling their entertainment product. This latest boost is for a huge amount of money they have garnered from overseas distribution. Its hard to believe that the team that finishes bottom will more or less get the same as the winner from seasons past. In money terms, getting promoted to the top-flight is equivalent money-wise as winning it was.

Celtic and Rangers are missing out, but the SPL needs to market their wares better. In that regard they need more top-flight games. Perhaps go back to the 10-team premiership, playing each other 4 times each. Market and Sell the big firm game in every country. If a country wont pay for it, give it to them for free. With Naka, etc, surely Japan is a potential big market. As a benchmark, if the top-flight in England is getting 50m for the winners and 30m at the bottom, thats about 800m in total, then Celtic ad Rangers (and Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, etc) should be able to generate 200m in total, which would be about 30m for the winners.

The FAI league needs a lot of re-structuring to even be thinking about exploiting something akin to what the Scottish league 'product' already is. A lot more could be done with the Irish league and the Scottish league is its benchmark, and it is way way behind that as of now.

Redspider

I wouldn't want to go back to the 10 team league, the more teams the better. If the teams that were coming up were a lot weaker than what's already there then it probably should be cut but that's not the case. Inverness are well established in the league now. Falkirk have come up and are a breath of fresh air tbh with their style of football.

As it is Celtic will play Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and another team 4 times a season anyway. They'll play the rest 3 times. I think the league split was great idea.

Every Celtic match is shown live in Japan and also on Polish channel Polsat. I don't even know if they paid the SPL a penny for those rights.

Setanta get to show 60 live SPL games a season. They pay a whopping £13m a year for that. 600,000 people watched Roy Keane make his Old Firm debut last February on Setanta. You can only imagine what that figure would be if the match was on terrestrial TV. I'd love to know why Sky or the BBC didn't put in a decent bid for the rights.

Scotland on Sunday:
    Sky was paying more than 20 times the sum to the premiership that it proposed to pay to the SPL, despite the average viewing figures for English games being just over twice what the SPL attracted.

Though researchers admit it is difficult to establish exact viewing figures - they vary from game to game and even during matches - the SPL games gained an "average" viewing figure of 370,000 compared to around 800,000 for a premiership game. In the past, Sky has accepted there is an "approximate two-to-one ratio" between English and Scottish games.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=129862002
    I think it's down to competition. When the current deal runs out the BBC will know they'll have to pay much more with Setanta around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I wonder did sky bid for the rights before setanta topped up their bid until 2010? I think the spl could do alot more in respect of the overseas market America, japan, Austraila etc.. there is alot of intrest in the scottish league in these places with ex pats and the irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

redspider wrote:
    There are two things I'd like to discuss.

I read today that Martin O'Neill has sold all his shares in Celtic to Denis O'Brien. I am on record as not being an afficiando of O'Brien due to his alleged nefarious dealings in the 2nd mobile licence deal in Ireland and a certain Michael Lowry. I am dissapointed to see more of Celtic go to someone like that. Dermot Desmond is no saint either but many of his deals are bona fide.

Desmond has earnt the Celtic's support by the dealing that he's done for the club, I for one dont have any real question marks over his honesty. Do you know of any suspect deals he's done like O'Brien has pulled, please post them. Im ignorant on it

The English league/premiership have done a fantastic job at selling their entertainment product. This latest boost is for a huge amount of money they have garnered from overseas distribution. Its hard to believe that the team that finishes bottom will more or less get the same as the winner from seasons past. In money terms, getting promoted to the top-flight is equivalent money-wise as winning it was.

They have but the SPL have a very hard task, cos why spend on some money on SPL rights when you can input everything into the EPL and more control of that franchise kinda thing

Celtic and Rangers are missing out, but the SPL needs to market their wares better. In that regard they need more top-flight games. Perhaps go back to the 10-team premiership, playing each other 4 times each. Market and Sell the big firm game in every country. If a country wont pay for it, give it to them for free. With Naka, etc, surely Japan is a potential big market. As a benchmark, if the top-flight in England is getting 50m for the winners and 30m at the bottom, thats about 800m in total, then Celtic ad Rangers (and Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, etc) should be able to generate 200m in total, which would be about 30m for the winners.

The FAI league needs a lot of re-structuring to even be thinking about exploiting something akin to what the Scottish league 'product' already is. A lot more could be done with the Irish league and the Scottish league is its benchmark, and it is way way behind that as of now.

Redspider

Imagine the financial input, in theory (i know it wont happen), if the Old Firm got put directly into the EPL. Celtic would generate income to equal Real Madrid and United instantly. Its no wonder why it will never happen

eirebhoy wrote:
    I wouldn't want to go back to the 10 team league, the more teams the better. If the teams that were coming up were a lot weaker than what's already there then it probably should be cut but that's not the case. I think the league split was great idea.
    Every Celtic match is shown live in Japan and also on Polish channel Polsat. I don't even know if they paid the SPL a penny for those rights.
    Setanta get to show 60 live SPL games a season. They pay a whopping £13m a year for that.

I think the 10-league team would produce more head to head games and be better for footballing quality and marketing. It also means that the spoils (ie: revenue) would be shared by only 10 teams, so more would go to the big teams.

My attitude and philosophy on sport, etc, is the other way, by the way. I would prefer myself to have a more level playing field, and more for smaller teams, etc less of the sport's succesful teams living off money, more limits, handicaps, youth player open distribution, etc. But if I put on a mercenary hat for Celtic, that is what I would go for, a smaller league means more money for Celtic.

The split system is confusing as it is not a normal process in most leagues. They could adopt a play-off system at the end. Look at US Baseball, with a world series of 7 matches maximum, now that is a final. Could the top two play each other 5 times in two weeks, maybe.

I think in terms of marketability the SPL needs to start in Britain first. Why aren't SPL matches shown on MOTD and MOTD2? This is historical more than anything and perhaps has to do with BBC internal politics, BBC Scotland and the regions and the like. However, if the SPL was integrated into a single 1.5 hr show on MOTD and MOTD2, it would not only get exposure in Britain but also international, as the London region version of BBC is carried internationally to some countries. Why MOTD ever evolved to show only the EPL and not the SPL as well I dont know, its not as if BBC England is a region. And surely BBC NI should carry the Scottish football when they can, albeit that NI is a small market. but it does boast huge support for Celtic and Rangers for obvious reasons. Maybe a BBC political decision was taken in the past so as to not show these teams for that very reason! I dont know.

Q: When the Celtic matches are shown live in Japan, what local time are they on at? They need to be broadcast on a channel that is available to many and close to prime time to gather interest and value.

Redspider

Dempsey wrote:
    Desmond has earnt the Celtic's support by the dealing that he's done for the club, I for one dont have any real question marks over his honesty. Do you know of any suspect deals he's done like O'Brien has pulled, please post them. Im ignorant on it

Desmond may have conducted fair dealings with/for Celtic, and indeed be seen to be a benefactor, but elsewhere he has not been so squeaky clean. Start on page 241 of the recent Moriarity tribunal report to get some ideas of what's in the public domain. There's a lot more than that of course. What's that I hear, a dog barking on the street again!

Redspider

---

In his evidence to the Tribunal, Mr. Desmond testified that these
    two payments of Stg.£100,000.00 and Stg.£25,000.00 were loans which he
    made to Mr. Haughey on the strength of Mr. Haughey’s assets. The
    payments were clearly not intended by Mr. Desmond to be commercial
    loans, as he agreed that they were made without documentation, without
    any agreement regarding interest, and without any terms governing
    repayment. As far as Mr. Desmond was concerned, they were unsecured
    advances, and were characterised by him as debts of honour. Mr.
    Desmond accepted, that in his dealings with the Tribunal prior to attending
    to give evidence, he had never suggested that these payments were in the
    form of loans which he expected to be repaid by Mr. Haughey.

The Tribunal cannot accept Mr. Desmond’s evidence that these
    payments were ever intended by him to be repayable by Mr. Haughey.
    There was nothing evident in the conduct of either Mr. Desmond or of Mr.
    Haughey which would support Mr. Desmond’s characterisation of the
    payments as loans. On the contrary, all of the objective evidence available
    to the Tribunal suggests otherwise, and the Tribunal is satisfied that the
    payments were outright dispositions by Mr. Desmond to Mr. Haughey.
    While Mr. Desmond confirmed to Mr. Haughey’s accountants, for the
    purposes of dealings with the Revenue Commissioners, that the payments
    made by him were loans, the Tribunal is of the view that these confirmations
    were not correct, and can have been furnished for one purpose only, which
    was in ease of Mr. Haughey’s position, and with a view to reducing his
    potential exposure to taxation. The Tribunal believes that this is borne out
    by the fact that, in negotiations with the Revenue Commissioners which
    ultimately led to a settlement with Mr. Haughey and the payment of \5
    million by Mr. Haughey to the Revenue Commissioners, Mr. Haughey’s
    advisers themselves accepted that the two payments by Mr. Desmond
    should be included for the purposes of arriving at a base figure on which
    Gift Tax would be computed.

Mr. Desmond testified to the Tribunal that apart from these
    payments amounting to Stg.£125,000.00, apart from the investments that
    he made in companies with which Mr. Haughey was associated and apart
    from the funding to the tune of £75,456.00 of the cost of refitting the
    Haughey family yacht, Celtic Mist, he made no other payments to Mr.
    Haughey, or to persons associated with him, within the meaning of the
    Tribunal’s Terms of Reference. In particular, Mr. Desmond testified that he
    made no direct payments to Mr. Haughey prior to 1994, after Mr. Haughey
    had left office. While it must be said that the Tribunal has heard no evidence
    to the contrary, the Tribunal cannot make a finding to that effect as neither
    Mr. Haughey’s off-shore accounts, nor Mr. Desmond’s off-shore accounts
    were accessible to the Tribunal for the purposes of verifying this matter.

These were not isolated payments made in an
    open manner by Mr. Desmond to Mr. Haughey after Mr. Haughey ceased
    to hold office as Taoiseach. On the contrary, they were shrouded in
    secrecy, and they were made from one off-shore account, through a series
    of off-shore accounts to what was, at least nominally, an off-shore account
    at least in part held for the benefit of Mr. Haughey. They followed in the
    path of an established pattern of support by Mr. Desmond of the business
    ventures of Mr. Haughey’s family, and they further followed the conferring
    of an indirect benefit of £75,546.00 on Mr. Haughey by Mr. Desmond
    through the financing of the refit of the Haughey family yacht, Celtic Mist,
    all of which occurred during Mr. Haughey’s tenure as Taoiseach.

redspider wrote:
    The split system is confusing as it is not a normal process in most leagues.
    I'm a big fan of the split tbh. Basically every team playes each other 3 times. The aim of the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, etc. is to make the top 6 by 7th April. Every team then play 5 more matches against the teams in their half of the league. If Celtic played twice in Ibrox pre-split then they'll be playing at Celtic Park post-split. It's a lot fairer than the EL system of 3 games against each team and it means teams have a 38 game season.

STV have the rights to show the highlights of the SPL. It's a 2 hour show on every Monday night called Scotsport.
    http://www.stv.tv/content/sport/infocus/

I don't know if they have the rights to show it on the other ITV regional channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm a big fan of the split tbh. Basically every team playes each other 3 times. The aim of the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, etc. is to make the top 6 by 7th April. Every team then play 5 more matches against the teams in their half of the league. If Celtic played twice in Ibrox pre-split then they'll be playing at Celtic Park post-split. It's a lot fairer than the EL system of 3 games against each team and it means teams have a 38 game season.

STV have the rights to show the highlights of the SPL. It's a 2 hour show on every Monday night called Scotsport.
    http://www.stv.tv/content/sport/infocus/

I don't know if they have the rights to show it on the other ITV regional channels.

The Split is not a bad idea as at least it motivates the teams for the last few games to work to either go for the UEFA cup spot or to avoid relegation. It is a bit weird all the same.

Scotsport as a programme is absolute muck. If people have the Impression that RTE aren't good at programming, they should take a look at some of the godawful tripe that's produced by STV and BBC scotland.
    It's only good if you keep the volume on mute.
    Aside from that, was delighted to see the Hibees take the sheep apart at Easter road. Unlikely that the cup Hoodoo will be broken, but we've a minging record against Aberdeen, so to have won so convincingly after being rubbish in the first half and scoring 2 goals against the run of play then was a great result.

Yeah, decent game. I've seen much more of Hibs this season than I have of Rangers. Excellent midfield but the defence is a bit shaky. They don't seem to play as a unit. When they have the ball Hogg is further forward up the pitch than Jones. The new guy Stevenson was ok on Thursday (despite the backpass) but I was really impressed with him on the left wing against Killie. Seems very intelligient and always has his head up.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Yeah, decent game. I've seen much more of Hibs this season than I have of Rangers. Excellent midfield but the defence is a bit shaky. They don't seem to play as a unit. When they have the ball Hogg is further forward up the pitch than Jones. The new guy Stevenson was ok on Thursday (despite the backpass) but I was really impressed with him on the left wing against Killie. Seems very intelligient and always has his head up.

They've a good young side and Collins is doing a pretty good job considering it's his first managerial position. They're too inconsistent though. Can be brilliant and give the Old firm something to think about from time to time but then can bottle it against inferior teams like Dundee united and Falkirk.
    I'm hopeful that Thompson and Brown stay till the end of the season and that we at least get some cash for them then, but their agent is playing with their heads and looking for them to move.

Could be in 3rd spot in the League tomorrow night if this weekends fixtures go our way!.

Celtic v St Mirren is on Goal TV (1 or 2, I'm not sure) as usual.

You can stream that channel with PPMate.

http://www.soft32.com/download_190300.html

Boruc

Telfer Pressley O'Dea Naylor

Nakamura Gravesen Jarosik McGeady

V of Hesselink Beattie

Subs : Brown, Cuthbert, Miller, Zurawski, Riordan, Sno, Conroy.

Finally a big win and tbh I was expecting it as St Mirren are very poor.

5-1
    Vennegoor hattrick
    McGeady
    Miller

Gravesen was quality today. He's such a creative player with a fantastic range of passing. Look at today's performance and tell me that Petrov is better than him. :) Not a chance.

Jarosik was poor, I'll be suprised if he's ever anything more than a squad player at Celtic.

Most people said we weren't creating enough chances this season but I always believed it was down to our poor strikers as with Nakamura, Gravesen and McGeady in the team you don't lack creativity. Today's match showed that. Beattie was getting into great positions and it could have been 10-1 tbh.

Sno looked excellent when he came on. In fact, Celtic were much better when he came on. And at last Miller scores.

From an Irish point of view. O'Dea was very good. McGeady was excellent too but drifted in and out. Nice time to get his 5th of the season with San Marino coming up.

I'm buzzing after that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think the SPL will have to give Celtic a handicap for next season!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Cheers for the highlights, had to watch it 3 times to make sure it was Kenny that scored! :D

• Advertisement

are you 2 chaps related???;)

Nah, he must have tried to rob my name. ;)

Celtic are set to play the MLS Allstars in the summer. That should be interesting as the Americans think we're rubbish because of our terrible pre-season last year.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465657

Is there any chance of Beckham playing in that? I just want Nakamura to show him up as the king of Adidas. :D;)

btw - Naka has 17 assists after today. I doubt there's any player in Europe with that amount.

eirebhoy wrote:
    btw - Naka has 17 assists after today. I doubt there's any player in Europe with that amount.

Although I doubt there's any league where the leaders are 17 points clear with 24 games played.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Although I doubt there's any league where the leaders are 17 points clear with 24 games played.
    yea but Celtic haven't scored an extraordinary amount. Naka's assists include cup and European games so there's probably one or 2 with that amount of assists overall this season.

I see Thompson scored for Leeds yesterday, as did Flo. They still lost. :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Jesus! Would love to have the guy back but I don't like his reasons!
    Mark Viduka anyone?

25 minute interview with Naka:
    http://mihd.net/nbl12r

It's in Japanese with English subtitles and mainly talks about the Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Inverness CT 1 - 2 Celtic
    Riordan
    JVoH

Refs being too inconsistant again. Brines almost had an orgasm as he books JVoH for his celebration, 2nd yellow and sent off. 19 points clear though :)

Terrible performance.

I didnt see it or even read up about the last match in detail, but with that win it was another finger on the trophy. From a fan perspective, the league is not very interesting at this level of dominance. Hearts and Rangers managed to draw as well againstg each other recently so both dropping 2 pts.

Celtic's season will re-ignite though with the AC Milano matches and I am looking forward to those. I understand that tickets are hard to come by and no wonder. No-one wants to miss those matches.

But in the meantime, 'Its a little quiet round the field at Celtic Park' .... ;-)

Redspider

Looks like Maloney is off to Villa, on Sky Sports News. Terrible news. :( 16 goals and 20 odd assists last season. He'll be a star in the premiership, no doubt about it imo.

I know there's a strict wage structure at Celtic but I'd have given Maloney what he reportedly wanted. It'd cost an awful lot more to replace him, he's much better than Riordan. From an Irish point of view at least McGeady has less competition for a spot.

Celtic sign Paul Hartley today from Hearts. Very good player but not exactly a priority. He's also ineligible for the CL this season and he's 30. A replacement for Lennon is needed but Hartley is just another attacking midfielder. Unless Strachan wants to play him and Gravesen in midfield together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement