Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Great stuff from McGeady. Deserved a goal. I would have let McGeady take the peno that should have been awarded at the end of the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Eirebhoy you going to the game away against Milan?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

Folks....quick question, whats the name of that song that they play at parkhead this season when a player scores (y'know the one that goes "do..dododo...dodo...dododododododo" :D:D )

Cant get it out of my head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

sonofsam wrote:
    Folks....quick question, whats the name of that song that they play at parkhead this season when a player scores (y'know the one that goes "do..dododo...dodo...dododododododo" :D:D )

Cant get it out of my head...
    I forget but the band were on soccer am a few weeks ago and one had a Celtic jersey on. The something... Think it begins with F :o

Good to see Gravesen scoring again. Naka was class again as he usually is at home. It's a pity the neutral doesn't get to see the real Nakamura as the home games aren't televised. Gravesen is better than Petrov, I've said it since the Copenhagen match. That was the game I realised how good he was while most poeple thought he was poor then.
    Lennon sent off...

btw - Denis O'Brien bought Martin O'Neill's 8% share in Celtic this week. He now owns over 12%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

Thanks for the heads up, will have to fire up limeshare :D:D

great goal from Gravesen. I don't think Celtic are firing on all cyclinders yet they are 16 points ahead.

Lennon went mental after getting sent off. To me, it looked like Lennon & Stokes should have been off or Lennon & Stokes get a yellow not a red for Lennon and yellow for Stokes.

Lucky yesterday. Naka got Celtic a point with a world class last 20 minutes. Jesus I love that player. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNnmeKLbBYI

Bad news..

Celtic Football Club can confirm that Bobo Balde suffered a leg break during the 2-2 draw with Dundee United on Boxing Day.

The Guinean defender, who has been integral part of the Hoops squad since joining the club from Toulouse in 2001, will be out for a number of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

O' Dea should get a few games but I reckon another centre half will be signed in January. Unlikely to be Pressley, i wonder who GS has in mind. He often pulls off great signings for Celtic.

• Advertisement

Well he's currently talking to Charlton

McGeady interview and clips from when he was a kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS61Deu8t8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Celtic have signed Pressley.
    Elvis is coming to Paradise!
    But he is not eligible for the CL!

That could be a bridge too far for both parties!
    Ferguson Bleeds Blue and Red.
    Could never see him coming to Parkhead!

A centre half is still needed in January. A £2-3m quality defender, no more cheap options for the back.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Wonder who the next ex-Rangers player will be. Strachan is rumoured to be well impressed with Barry Ferguson!!

That scum would never be with celtic

Suprised to see Naka play so well away from home. He's getting his usually battering but he has been absolutely flawless. One of his best away performances for Celtic but the difference between him at home and away is night and day.

• Advertisement

Just announced that Barry Ferguson is transfer listed and has most likely played his last game under Le Guen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

that is really surprising - but true!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/6223023.stm

i always consider BF to be rangers. i expect BF to stay and PLG to get sacked, some players are as big as the club and BF is one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Wow, I thought it would be the other way round and they would tell Le Guan to F off to France.

Pressley is in the squad for tonites game.

Celtic win 2-0 today.

O'Dea scores - set up by a Naka free kick.
    Jarosik hit the post - from a Naka cross.
    Vennegoor hit the post - from a Naka pass.
    McGeady scores - From a Naka through ball.

What would we do without the king of Japan? :) He is to Strachan's Celtic what Larsson was to O'Neills.

/edit - Highlights:
    http://f.flvmaker.com/mc.php?id=1bxcQpY4__GKUTAF6Eq.PMqehLcwBpXYjEYGJBYeIHBtcf/CMgTEYY_6tqRiijDPOecPOAbckMfdSQL/ekKix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I think Lee Naylor deserves a mention he has been outstanding this season and at 600 grand a great bit of buisness, god help us if he misses the milan games.

Naylor has been brilliant, alot of Wolves supporters were glad to see him go, we are definately happy with him.

He could get our player of the season at this rate

Naka will run away with it. ;) He's world class in every single game at Celtic Park. Naylor has been great though. Here's a good indication:
    http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=37769

I don't agree with that assessment at all. His set pieces are nothing more than a bonus. He's one of the most intelligient players to have ever played for Celtic, if not the most. He's the type of player that studies players and when he gets used to his teammates could play blind folded. I'd respect Naka's opinion on a player more than anyone tbh. He's also the most respected player at Celtic and I'm 100% sure his teammates will vote him poty if he keeps it up.

You say he's not involved enough in open play but I'd say only Lennon gets more of the ball than him. Recently Strachan has been telling him to move inside more and when Naka moves inside he takes control of the games. Away from home the pitches are smaller, teams are more aggressive and Naka is well marked. He still produces the chances though. In fact he has set up 4 and scored the other from our 5 goals in the last 3 games.

He doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves in the media and he's only recognised really now because of his goals against Man Utd. That's why I go out of my way to praise him. I have a friend who would watch every Celtic game on Setanta but he doesn't rate Naka that highly. It's the same with most Irish people who don't get to see the home games. Here's a few posts from Celtic fans today.
    He is a genius. Thats another two goals he has set up now.

Player of the season by a mile!

Thought it was going to be mcgeady but naka has stepped up.

The man has stepped it up to a level I thought he wasn't capable of last season.

And I thought he was amazing last season too!

What a player.

genius he is. his level is so much above anyone else on the team

We're so lucky to have the guy. POTY by a country mile.

See just before the goal, we had them under constant pressure for about 6 or 7 minutes and everything came through him even though he was clearly ****ed and knackd. The guy was amazing today again, his touches are class. The drag and back heel to lenny, the point where he stopped the ball and had the killie defender on his arse aswell.

Really, this guy is a genius - a diamond in our team.

Hes been majestic so far this season. I just hope he can get even better and become aboslutly unplayable to opposition defences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbN9UiFs5k

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    I get to see plenty of games in person Eirebhoy so you can save that comment for your friend
    It was in no way directed at you. I'm just showing why I go out of my way to praise Naka. The difference in opening between those that watch Naka in every game and the neutrals that can only get to see the away games us huge.
    ziggy67 wrote:
    I could find plenty of negative ones too if i wanted but i prefer to draw my own conclusions.
    Please, please do! They weren't very selective. Most of them were post after post from a thread about Naka's pass to McGeady on the Huddleboard.

I'd seriously question anyone's judgement if they don't rate Naka as the best player in the SPL by far. I think it actually tells a lot about how well you read the game. The likes of Liam Brady, Ruud Gullit and Gary McCallister realise how good Naka is from a few Champions league games. The Scottish media still haven't a clue.

btw - I can't believe you think Jarosik deserves an assist for that goal. He didn't even touch the ball from what I can see.

Nakamura needs the players around him to create the space for him to weave the magic, he very rarely can get himself into space.

I forgot about Boruc and McGeady, both have been crucial to the success this season aswell

Dempsey wrote:
    Nakamura needs the players around him to create the space for him to weave the magic, he very rarely can get himself into space.
    I just uploaded the goals from the Falkirk-Inverness match in the Stokes thread. Look at the space Latapy has. If Naka was playing centrally with that space he'd be a revelation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Naka gets my vote for POTY. Hes been a revelation this year. Apart from the frees, crosses, and passes which are world class, his general trickery is often what unlocks defences. I'd give the silver medal to Boruc for the amount of times hes saved our bacon in big games.

On an aside, anyone listen to Newstalk the last few evenings taking the mick out of Barry Ferguson.......class stuff. Paul La Guen deserves better than to put up with all the guff he's had to deal with there. Always thought he was too good a manager for that football club! He should be delighted he got away, he has a chance to join a club with some prospects now :D

2-0 Celtic after 10 minutes, Zurawski with both. 2 guesses who set up the 2 goals. :D

Finished 4-0 with JVofH and Riordan getting the other 2. Good to see the strikers getting the goals.

Brady is youth director of Arsenal so he does have a qualified opinion

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    You know it is entirely possible that people have a different opinion to you & it is arrogant to question peoples judgement because of this. I disagree with you that Naka is world class but i respect your right to your opinion & i won't look down my nose at you.
    I still stand by it. I don't care how arrogant it sounds, if you don't see how good Naka is then you're not very good at reading the game of football. He's a genius.

As for KDS, I haven't seen a bad word about Naka on there in a long long. If anyone had a bad word to say about him on there they'd get shot down.

Nakamura play in the last league game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFlRWpiGoys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eirebhoy wrote:
    Nakamura

very good footballer

ziggy67 wrote:
    Have a look on Kerrydalestreet Eirebhoy, but as i say i make up my own mind on players so i don't really care about getting people to back me up.
    OK, Apologies to everyone but this is my last post on Naka for now. :) Here's a thread on Naka on Kerrydalestreet:
    http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42791

He's loved even more on thehuddleboard. :)

ziggy67 wrote:
    Yes he does but his opinions on players mean little given his shocking record at using his judgement during his failed spells managing Celtic & Brighton. That is when his opinions on players merits were tested and he was found wanting.

That is not to say he is always wrong but that his opinions carry as much weight with me as John Barnes do!

The Celtic job at the time was very hard for several reasons (financial being a big problem) and he took it on way too young for a start. He may not be a good manager but he knows what talent is. Brady has proved it by being Arsenal's youth director, Barnes hasnt proven himself at anything in football since. I wouldn't compare the two, its insulting to Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?jp=CWSNMHKFOJOJ

Thompson seals Leeds move
    12/01/2007 - 14:16:36

Leeds have completed the signing of midfielder Alan Thompson from Celtic until the end of the season.

The 33-year-old has passed a medical and agreed to join the Coca-Cola Championship strugglers initially until the summer.

Thompson spent over six years at Celtic following a £2.75m(€4.1m) switch from Aston Villa in 2000. He had previously made over 150 appearances for Bolton before moving to Villa in a £4.5m (€6.8m) deal in 1998.

Leeds manager Dennis Wise has now brought in six new players during the transfer window in his bid to save the fallen giants from the ignominy of relegation to League One.

Wise has so far signed Tresor Kandol, Matt Heath, Robbie Elliott, Armando Sa and Tore Andre Flo.

---

That will lighten the wage bill somewhat. Good news for player and club, and maybe Leeds too. That Sunday Times article looks like it may have helped.

redspider

Yeah, Pearson was on about £10k too so nice to get them off the wage bill. Thompson should do well at Leeds.

• Advertisement

Advertisement