Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from esat to eircom..

Options
  • 22-02-2004 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

I decided to switch to eircom DSL, for numerous reasons. They sent out the dsl modem, and I went online with my 56k to get my un and pw online. I set up the modem (albeit frustration++ with the very short leads...ended up with the modem on the stairs, power cable running into the bathroom,and using my own ethernet cable). After eventually getting this working, I got timeout errors while the modem tried to configure itself server-side.

*ring ring*
    me: *Hi, could you please tell me if my DSL line is active under eircom yet?"
    1550555444: "Sorry, your line failed the test, its impossible for you to get DSL"
    me: "Yes,I've had DSL for around 7 months with esatBT now."
    1550555444: "...Are you sure?"
    *hangs up*
    *redial and get a female this time*
    me: "Hi,could you check if my DSL line is active under eircom yet?"
    1550555444: "one moment...yeah,your all set to go. Just tap in your un and pw, and you should be fine"
    *I spend 30mins setting up router/modem*
    *DSL fails to set itself up serverside*
    *redial*
    me: "Hi,My DSL modem is timing out while trying to set itself up server side, whats wrong?"
    1550555444: "one mo....your line isnt set up for DSL properly. Its not sync'd. See how the green light under DSL Sync on your modem isnt lit?"
    me: "...it is lit"
    1550555444: "......are you sure"
    me: "yes."
    1550555444: "...turn your modem on and off,and see if the light comes back on"
    *I wait 30s or so for the modem to boot, while on the 1550 line*
    me: "Yeah,its gone solid green again."
    1550555444: "...thats very odd. Contact sales,they'll know whats wrong. Here's their number;"
    *ring sales*
    sales: "Thank you for calling eircom sales. Our business hours are 9am to 9pm, monday through friday. Currently our offices are closed an.."

Does anybody have any idea on what I can do here?
    I've had DSL with esat for around 7 months now, but with esat never upgrading me to 512k from 256k ect (and still having the 4gb cap), and generally being rubbish, I decided to opt for eircom. And now it seems that its impossible for me to have DSL.

...help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Whilst i appreciate youve had problems with ESAT, doesnt the above indicate that eircom is certainly not the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Tellox
    I decided to switch to eircom DSL, for numerous reasons. They sent out the dsl modem, and I went online with my 56k to get my un and pw online. I set up the modem (albeit frustration++ with the very short leads...ended up with the modem on the stairs, power cable running into the bathroom,and using my own ethernet cable). After eventually getting this working, I got timeout errors while the modem tried to configure itself server-side.

*ring ring*
    me: *Hi, could you please tell me if my DSL line is active under eircom yet?"
    1550555444: "Sorry, your line failed the test, its impossible for you to get DSL"
    me: "Yes,I've had DSL for around 7 months with esatBT now."
    1550555444: "...Are you sure?"
    *hangs up*
    *redial and get a female this time*
    me: "Hi,could you check if my DSL line is active under eircom yet?"
    1550555444: "one moment...yeah,your all set to go. Just tap in your un and pw, and you should be fine"
    *I spend 30mins setting up router/modem*
    *DSL fails to set itself up serverside*
    *redial*
    me: "Hi,My DSL modem is timing out while trying to set itself up server side, whats wrong?"
    1550555444: "one mo....your line isnt set up for DSL properly. Its not sync'd. See how the green light under DSL Sync on your modem isnt lit?"
    me: "...it is lit"
    1550555444: "......are you sure"
    me: "yes."
    1550555444: "...turn your modem on and off,and see if the light comes back on"
    *I wait 30s or so for the modem to boot, while on the 1550 line*
    me: "Yeah,its gone solid green again."
    1550555444: "...thats very odd. Contact sales,they'll know whats wrong. Here's their number;"
    *ring sales*
    sales: "Thank you for calling eircom sales. Our business hours are 9am to 9pm, monday through friday. Currently our offices are closed an.."

I've had DSL with esat for around 7 months now, but with esat never upgrading me to 512k from 256k ect (and still having the 4gb cap), and generally being rubbish, I decided to opt for eircom. And now it seems that its impossible for me to have DSL.

...help?

Bloody hell tellox what were you on when you decided Ratty was the best for you, this really is out of the frying pan into the fire

Anyhoo drones havent got a braincell between them you need to go to the higher ups

pheena.lonergan@eircom.ie

or

phil.nolan@eircom.ie

Theyll be the only people able to help you now, and as soon as its fixed, take your self off down to the doctor for a full medical scan.

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Tellox
    It looks like the reason Esat didn't upgrade you to 512k was because they don't supply this themselves but resell Eircom's bitstream wholesale DSL and your line doesn't pass for that.

If you haven't cancelled the 256k I would stay with that as it is better than 56k.

If you have cancelled, you may not be able to go back to the 256k since Esat have discontinued that.

The only other option is to try to get your line fixed by Eircom to the extent that it can handle DSL. Ask Shinzon about how to go about this. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

There'll be a knock on your door tomorrow - don't be alarmed, it's just a couple of men in white coats to take you away.

Advertisement