Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tablets with good screen

Options
  • 03-02-2014 10:23pm

I will soon be looking for an tablet, preferably Android, but one that has a nice bright screen and a decent enough amount of storage. I'd likely use this to watch things on as I commute to and from work. Does anyone have any recommendations, that won't cost too much, of course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

What, no replies? :)

Every so often I have a look at ChinaVasion's website and have a look at their tablets (or phablets), which are rather tempting pricewise. Generally seem to fall down on screen resolution compared to (say) the Hudl, though. And lacking the "mainstream" third party reviews, no idea at all what their displays are like in terms of brightness, viewing angle, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭scruffmonkey

Nexus, nexus or maybe a nexus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

"won't cost too much" is completely relative. I wouldn't look past a Nexus 7 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Asus hd7 has a good screen and i think is more or less the same as a nexus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Nexus 7 costs €249, right? That's getting on for double the price of a Hudl (were it only available here) or a buncha mostly comparable Chinese tabs.

The Asus has a poorer resolution display than either of those, and (like the Hudl) is only 1GB, which seems a rather moderate amount in these days of immense browser- and web-bloat. Price is significantly less, though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Nexus 7 costs €249, right? That's getting on for double the price of a Hudl (were it only available here) or a buncha mostly comparable Chinese tabs.

The Asus has a poorer resolution display than either of those, and (like the Hudl) is only 1GB, which seems a rather moderate amount in these days of immense browser- and web-bloat. Price is significantly less, though...
    It may well have a poorer resolution but its still very good and im reasonably fussy about that. Side by side it may be noticeable but thats hardly an indication that its rubbish or inferior. 1G ram doesnt seem to hamper any surfing or gameplay from what i see. Well, my lads arent complaining anyway and i've used it myself a fair bit. Its no slouch with its claimed quad core.... (i know! Prove it yada yada. Thats what all the spiel says.)
    Anyway, im not attacking you or anything like that. Its just that though it may be slightly inferior (by a teensy-makes no difference-kind of way!) to others, its certainly nowhere near
    the piles of cheap rubbish tabs out there.
    Just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

The big plus with a Nexus it's it will have support for longer than anything else. It gets its updates straight from Google as soon as they are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I price the Nexus 7 32G in Currys and it comes in at €299. Amazon have the same machine for €240 approx. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-inch-Tablet/dp/B00EANTELO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anyone got advice on whether Amazon items are identical to the Currys item?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Gorteen wrote: »
    I price the Nexus 7 32G in Currys and it comes in at €299. Amazon have the same machine for €240 approx. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-inch-Tablet/dp/B00EANTELO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anyone got advice on whether Amazon items are identical to the Currys item?

That is the 2013 model, so yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

You could even go for a Nexus 10. It maybe coming close to its second birthday, but the screen is still good quality. Like yourself, I commute and I use it on the bus for typing up assignments. Fantastic for watching movies and the likes also.

• Advertisement

What is the battery life like on the Nexus 7/Nexus 10/Asus HD7? Say just for watching movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looking at 8-10 hours battery on N7 or N10 depending on screen brightness setting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Would you consider the new version of the kindle fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭mcw92

How about the Barnes and Noble NOOK HD+ ?

9" screen with 1920 x 1280 resolution, and has 32GB storage with SD card slot.
    Works ou around 150€ delivered with Parcel Motel.
    I purchased one during the week and stuck cyanogenmod on it, and now have Android 4.4 Kitkat on it and running very well.

Link here to my thread about it in Bargain Alerts on here.

EDIT price has gone up by £15 now so not sure of the new price.
    OR there is a 'customer no fault return which has been checked and repacked as new in original' here for £104.99 plus Parcel Motel.

Advertisement