Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Some Apps

Options
  • 11-07-2011 12:05pm

I've recently purchased my very first Android phone (Sony Ericsson Xperia X8) and I have been thoroughly enjoying it - no idea why it took me so long! Can people recommend me some apps to download to get the best out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Hi,

Same phone as me. I've had it 6 months now. It's good for the price, but admittedly a little slow. Most people here will have something better, and I think I will soon get something better, but I say again... for the price this is actually a pretty good phone.

Apps, not sure of the names are 100% accurate.

First... you might want to get rid of the Sony home screen launcher to get a more normal and flexible android experience
    HomeSwitcher... to allow simple switching between different launchers
    Some Launchers... I'm currently using Zeam.

CallHistory to give a nice log of calls (surprising the OS does not do this properly)
    ACast for podcasts (can subscribe to RTE podcasts)
    Data counter widget
    Battery monitor widget
    Handcent for SMS
    Cabbage to send webtexts
    Wifi manager to check wifi contention
    RTE news app
    NoSignal (to log how many times I lose signal... I'm in a poor coverage area)
    Twitter/Facebook
    System (performance monitoring)
    Sportypal (my current GPS tracker of choice)
    Sky+ (to check schedule and set remote record)
    Google Sky
    Multiple APN widgets (apn switcher/data on-off/apn up-down, not sure of the actual names)
    MapDroyd (not as good as google maps but caches maps)
    Barnacle (a wifi tether app... needs root acess)
    Kindle
    Color flashlight
    arc media to play video files
    imdb (movie/tv lookup app)

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I have a Galaxy Ace, favourite apps are:-
    Budwesier Ice:D
    Google Sky Map
    Sky+
    MoboPlayer
    NavFree
    Flashlight
    Angry Birds Rio

oh and Launcher Pro

Yeah the X8 does seem rather slow sometimes, but for €130, it is pretty excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

There has been a lot of development of a custom ROM for the X8 but it's still missing some functionality so I would not be willing to try this out until I had retired mine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=973753

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

A whole thread here

• Advertisement
Advertisement