Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Cloud Gaming - Would you use it?

Options
  • 19-04-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Question for all ya's
    never even heard of onlive till a few days ago . Apparently they provided a way to play games on low hardware as they rendered the graphics and effectfully sent you the video. I couldnt think it was a great alternative as i would really like to play far cry 4 but i need a new graphics cards. But it looks like that will cause me to get a new power supply. Anyways

I couldnt help notice that steam already have this idea sort of in place with in home streaming. Where your playing the game in your living room and somewhere else is rendering the graphics. But in this case more locally.

I think this is an idea steam may use in the future as steam want to find more ways to cash out off you after you buy that €4.99 game during the summer.

Presuming a reliable , established service at an affordable cost. would you use a cloud based gaming service off steam?

EDIT: Note to a mod , can you please change the title of the poll , as i ran over characters to " would you use steam cloud gaming"

Presuming a reliable , established service at an affordable cost. would you use a cl 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    33% 6 votes
    Price Dependent
    66% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

at this stage with the collection I have I would find it hard to switch over, also I like putting together and having top end gaming machines.

I always saw these types of services like OnLive and Gaikai aimed at people with very rudimentary pc set ups and not at hardcore gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Worldwide internet isn't good enough yet to accommodate the type of people who want the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

anybody think steam will approach this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

onLive was doomed to fail from the start.

Nowhere near the speeds to stream games yet. Forget multiplayer games entirely.

Maybe in 10 years. Streaming content has come along way since 2005 (Netflix/twitch/etc.), but streaming content that requires an input is a whole other level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Bandwidth is only part of it. The input lag with online game streaming is a real challenge. Games that require fast reflexes are never going to compete with running it on your own PC although in-home streaming could probably do an alright job for those games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement