Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in Carrick

Options
  • 08-01-2008 3:02pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm heading up to Carrick for my stag in March and was looking for some self catering accommodation. Idealy holiday homes. There are about 35 of us going and we are not rowdy or the type that will domilish a place but we don't want to go to hotels or B&B's as your are generally restricted with times and most places refuse stages straight away.

I've tried the tourism office and several websites but had no luck. A friend of mine went to a stag there a few years ago and they got 6 self catering cottages just outside the town. But unfortunatly he can't remember any of the details. All help would be appricated.

TomTom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

if you can't get self catering, try the Landmark hotel, Bush hotel, Cryans or Murtaghs hotel, Cuin House (all in town centre) and the Ramada hotel in Drumshambo.

The Aisleigh Guest house has 10 rooms on the outskirts of the town, as well as self catering , check out www.aisleighguesthouse.com, call 071-9620313 or E-mail: aisleigh@eircom.net

Carrick holiday homes has 3 house I think in the town, and they sleep about 16 in total, www.carrickholidayhomes.com, call Gerry Faughnan, +353 (0)71 9621800 or +353 (0)87 6485944.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

oes the ramada in drumshambo not have cottages. There was also some cottages in keshcarrigan. All within travel distance of carrick

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Hi All

I'm having my stag in Carrick on Shannon in February and was just wondering could anyone recommend "Stag Friendly" accommodation?

Would the Bush and the Landmark be out of the question?

Then again, could you expect your "guests" to pay that sort of money??

I guess self-catering is the best bet, but from what I can see thats only an option for 7 nights!!!!.....I only need 2 nights?

Then its B&B's, but how would the Best Man arrange that with several different B&Bs??

Finally, is it acceptable to ask people to find their own accommodation?
    Any stag I have been on, its been arranged for everyone beforehand...

Thanks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Hi MartyM

I just posted before you, i'm also having my stag in carrig. What we are doing if we can find accommodation in self catering is jsut going to give a list to everyone going and let them book their own. It's your stag so feck them if they can't make that much effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 patrickflynn26

Head for Leitrim Village, 4 miles from carrick, google leitrimquay cottages. Self catering accom in village center . Comes with your own 2 berth cruiser and jetty. On canal which joins on to shannon . Booze cruise to carrick in 1 hour by boat. Buses collect and drop off to and from carrick and nightclubs every night of weekend. Plenty of great pubs in village including the famous Lock 17. Its a usual for stags and hens..........:cool::cool:

• Advertisement

TomTom wrote: »
    Hi MartyM

I just posted before you, i'm also having my stag in carrig. What we are doing if we can find accommodation in self catering is jsut going to give a list to everyone going and let them book their own. It's your stag so feck them if they can't make that much effort.

Hi TomTom, thanks for the reply!!

As soon as I posted I seen your thread also....DOH!

Yeah, that would be less stress.....i'm still waiting on final numbers, if its a manageable number it hopefully should not be too difficult to arrange something for everyone!

Then again, the majority of the stag are in their 30's, so they may prefer the comfort of booking their own hotel room!....I know I'm tempted to do that! :)

Head for Leitrim Village, 4 miles from carrick, google leitrimquay cottages. Self catering accom in village center . Comes with your own 2 berth cruiser and jetty. On canal which joins on to shannon . Booze cruise to carrick in 1 hour by boat. Buses collect and drop off to and from carrick and nightclubs every night of weekend. Plenty of great pubs in village including the famous Lock 17. Its a usual for stags and hens..........:cool::cool:

Thanks Patrick!.....thats sounds like a great idea!!!

Will definitely check it out!

Not sure if Feb is too cold/wet for a booze cruise though!

Thanks again...

http://www.leitrimquay.com/Rates.aspx

Prices include house and boat rental except for Off-Season (House only) :(

Another place to try would be The Leitrim Marina Hotel, in Leitrim Village. This also has self-catering apartments, as well as hotel rooms.
    I was in the bar a while ago,great atmosphere, it's beside the water and not too far away from Carrick. Phone: +353 (0) 71 9623628 or check out www.leitrimmarinahotel.ie

Hey there, I posted this in the other thread, but another place to try would be The Leitrim Marina Hotel, in Leitrim Village.
    There are self-catering apartments there, as well as hotel rooms, bar and a restauraunt.
    I was in the bar a while ago, great atmosphere, it's beside the water and not too far away from Carrick.
    Phone: +353 (0) 71 9623628 or check out www.leitrimmarinahotel.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

i have merged two identical threads so if any of you are wondering why the posts are a wee bit mixed up then ask nanook ;)

Most people on my stag have voted agains staying in Leitrim and instead staying in Carrick itself. Unfortunatly most places are getting pricy. The Landmark have Hen night deals but have nothing for stags. Going to ring them and see if I can broker a deal for 40 people. I will probably be told to get lost if its a stag.

Got booked into the landmark. They were very nice and could not be more helpfull. Took a booking for 40 lads no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's January and you're booking for March. They'd probably take a suicide bombers convention at the moment:D Only joking. Have fun and make sure to call into Dunnes, the Anchorage and Murtaghs shiney new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Annadale0

I'm planning to have my stag in Carrick in May. Can recommend any activites that I could organise on the Saturday besides boozing all day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Annadale eh? You're not going too far for the stag then:D

Annadale0: Heres some daytime suggestions for Carrick:
    -You could rent out a boat for the day if the weather is good, and have your own booze-cruise, check out Carrick Craft or Emerald star for rentals.
    -A new bowling alley (Mulveys) has opened in the town, you could go there for a bit,
    -The new cinema is really nice, it has a cafe/wine bar and a small screening room that fits about 50 people and can be rented out for large group for a movie or a dvd, www.carrickcineplex.ie.
    -There is a great park outside the town, Forrest Park, you could organise a bit of fottie there.
    -There are also loads of good place to go for lunch in the town, the Oarsman, Victoria Hall, Cryans, Murtaghs and The Landmark.
    -The Dock Arts Centre has good exhibitions on all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ladylumps

Hi,

Was just in Carrick at the weekend for a hens night and I would highly recommend going to Dunnes and I would steer clear of the new place " Murtaghs ", not very hen - stag friendly they'll take your money in the bar downstairs but won't let hens or stag parties upstairs to the nightclub :confused::mad::confused::mad: and don't even bother trying to bring in a kissagram or anything like that as the bouncers will remove them:mad::mad:. Dunnes was much better crack.:D:D
    The Landmark are great for organising packages and have no problem taking in hens or stags parties.
    All in all it's a great place!!

ladylumps wrote: »
    Hi,

Was just in Carrick at the weekend for a hens night and I would highly recommend going to Dunnes and I would steer clear of the new place " Murtaghs ", not very hen - stag friendly they'll take your money in the bar downstairs but won't let hens or stag parties upstairs to the nightclub :confused::mad::confused::mad: and don't even bother trying to bring in a kissagram or anything like that as the bouncers will remove them:mad::mad:. Dunnes was much better crack.:D:D
    The Landmark are great for organising packages and have no problem taking in hens or stags parties.

I couldnt agree more regarding dunnes, we were carrick at the weekend as well and spent the whole of saturday night in there (and friday too for a while!)....there was only 14 of us but it was great craic....from what I remember!! :).....beer garden is the best i have ever seen!!

We stayed in the Bush Hotel, they were excellent and very friendly!....would recommend Carrick to anybody looking for a stag/hen destination. The locals were more than happy to recommend pubs, clubs, etc....very friendly!

Dont think we tried Murtaghs on sat night (dont remember) but we were there on fri night with no problems....

there is cryans, the bush hotel, the landmark hotel. There is a youth hostel across from Cryans. There are LOADS of B&Bs.

Then there is places in Leitrim village and Drumshanbo.
    Jamestown and Anaduff are also close, about 10min outside of the town.

Altogether, you should have no problems finding accomodation.

For bars, try Dunnes, Flynns, Havana, the Oarsman, the Anchorage or Cryans if you like traditional music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I was in the Ramada in Drumshanbo at the weekend. It's very nice and not too far from Carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Annadale0

Does anyone have any recommendations/advice for self catering places in carrick on shannon please

Also am in a quandry over which location for stag.. either carrick on shannon/westport/letterkenny... any thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ticklemeelmo

Originally Posted by ladylumps viewpost.gif
    Hi,

Was just in Carrick at the weekend for a hens night and I would highly recommend going to Dunnes and I would steer clear of the new place " Murtaghs ", not very hen - stag friendly they'll take your money in the bar downstairs but won't let hens or stag parties upstairs to the nightclub confused.gifmad.gifconfused.gifmad.gif and don't even bother trying to bring in a kissagram or anything like that as the bouncers will remove themmad.gifmad.gif. Dunnes was much better crack.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi all,

Just a quick note about my stag on Sautrday night in Carrick on Shannon. One word. . . Great!!
    There were 17 of us in total ranging between the ages of 23 to 50. We stayed in the Court Yard apartments at Muraghs Bar. The rooms were great, clean, and well kitted out.
    We started in Murtaghs as it was the 1st Bar we had to pass as we made our way up the town. Food was great and lots of it !!! We had a few pints there and then headed up the town. We did Dunnes & Flynns . great smoking area in Dunnes!
    We headed back to Murtaghs at about 12.30 am. We had a few more drinks in the main floor bar and then went down to the Basement where there was a DJ and Live Band (every saturday night apparently)

I asked one of the door staff what the story was with hens - shags not being allowed up stairs. He said that hens and stags were welcome up stairs but as it was an over 25s bar and 95% of the stags they get had younger lads in the group which caused hassle . I suppose its understandable...why would you want to break up the group when you could all stay together on the main floor or the Basement Club (all 3 levels stay serving till about 3amish (Detail gets a little fuzzy after that...too much vodka and red bull!!) as for hen parties..they are welcome up stairs too so long as they are not kitted out in the typical "hen party" gear.
    Infact the reason I chose carrick on shannon was cos my sister had her hen there and said Muraghs and Dunnes Bars were great craic and apartments were reasonable priced. Hope i cleared up any concerns for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Anyone have any info on acara accomodation in carrick? What is it like? Is it far outside the town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MartyM wrote: »
    Not cheap. Very not cheap.

And making a few bob on electricity too :mad:
    Electricity charges are based on meter readings and are payable at 19 cent per
    unit day-rate and 12 cent per unit night-rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Got a price on acara accomodation seems to be ok to me. €75 for two nights per person on a bank holiday weekend. Don't think you'll get better than that. Check the place out in person the other day and it was exactly what I was looking for the stag. Massive house that will sleep all the lads. About 15 in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Stayed a couple of times on hens in Carrick holiday homes. Good location and the cost if I remember correctly was €35 for one hen and €40 for the other - as they're self catering houses there is a total price and it's then divided per head. I'd def recommend them, no problem with hen/stag parties. www.carrickholidayhomes.com

Havana bar is good and has a nice smoking area complete with bar. Dunnes is gas also and the Landmark is great for food. Enjoy

Heading on my own hen here soon, going to do the Moon River cruise and then hit the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Stayed last weekend for a stag in Cryans riverside bar--NOT the hotel,the rooms seemed to be newly done,not sure how many rooms but there were 17 of us.Our`s was a triple room and was fine.The fact that we were over the pub was a real advantage for us plus the fact that we were located right in the town beside all the bars and craic,great place great town!!

ps It was €35/head

Advertisement