Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowden: One Year After

Options
  • 20-10-2014 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

One year after the privacy enlightenment that Snowden gave the world, some of us have taken steps to safeguard their lives, some not.

I am curious to ask the forum of what steps have you taken? be it technological, process/procedures, etc.

If possible, please give some depth and details so readers can duplicate or comment.

- I started using a vpn (non-US based one), have taken offline all my personal content, have limited the use of my online accounts (facebook, google+), and signed up to a non-US-based e-mail provider.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bd0101

Anyone? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think there was a thread like this before, but anyway. :)

I've made quite a few changes (I can't say that all of these are down to Snowden because I can't be exactly sure when I started using them).

I'm using keepass (I absolutely *love* this). I routinely use PGP with friends who are happy to use it. I use OTR for chat or assume the chat is compromised. I'm using Tor a lot more (and have set up two relays). I use textsecure for texts. HTTPS where I can get it and I only support HTTPS on sites that I'm responsible for. I think the biggest change is in my head though. I absolutely assume that everything that I send through an app that the source code isn't available for (e.g. skype) is compromised. Where before I might have sent login credentials that way, now I will not and any I had previously sent I have changed.

So yeah...I was going to say that I'm a lot more paranoid, but in reality I think my eyes were just opened. Many on here will say I was naive not to believe that all of this was happening anyway given history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Probably changed nothing as a result of the Snowden revelations.

To be quite honest if they want to look at the nonsense I look at online and the emails I get and send off they go - there's nothing important that they don't know already or won't be able to find out easily or get into via some other method.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭jmcc

Well the usual clueless Arts grads non-techs pretending to have a clue about technology in the media seem to banging on about it but for most people, especially those who use shopping loyalty cards, creditcards, pay-TV, it is very much somebody else's problem. The problem with the Irish media is that those people doing the commenting typically hadn't much of a clue and really didn't understand the state and topology of the internet.

For some, the Snowden revelations (dated as they were) confirmed what was being considered and brought up even more questions. VPNs and privacy services are not so secure (according to some more recent revelations).

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    VPNs and privacy services are not so secure (according to some more recent revelations).

My default position is to assume that a VPN is being run by a government agency. If you were such an agency you'd be mad not to run cheap, high quality VPN's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The take-aways from Snowden for me are two fold.
    1- That this provided the clearest proof of the state's involvement on data gathering, both formal and informal, and how the legal structures have evolved to bolster this collection of metadata. Long term there might be consequences in the new EU Data protection directive and a number of US Supreme court cases which are due this year, might rein these in.

2- That the best placed people to understand data protection are the sysadm/DB IT people, and hopefully Snowden's example of highlighting issues in the system that impinge on people's rights will act as a precedent.

Khannie wrote: »
    My default position is to assume that a VPN is being run by a government agency. If you were such an agency you'd be mad not to run cheap, high quality VPN's.
    There's a certain irony in an agency running a VPN service and charging those being surveilled for using it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bd0101

Indeed, VPNs can be vulnerable to preshared-key snooping, or weak algorithms.

I have started to use more and more free and open-source software, getting rid of any government-sponsored and favorite configuration. A sum of a solid configuration can be found here: stribika.github.io/2015/01/04/secure-secure-shell.html

Nowadays you can run a virtual private server anywhere in the world with 3-4 eur a month - throw on it an OpenBSD image and you are ready. Pretty much setup and forget, and most providers offer a web-based backup-restore-snapshot service..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I pretty much agree with everything Khannie said.

I've done a bit. People need to think wider and stop focusing on anything based in the US. The NSA are in cahoots with the majority of recognised government agencies around the world.

Snowden has already confirmed that a significant portion of VPN's being run are either controlled by these agencies or can be leveraged by these agencies. For me, that means all VPN's are a no go. He's also confirmed that a lot of secure protocols have and can be broken so HTTPS isn't enough.

He reckons the only thing the NSA really still have problems with is a combination or TOR along with PGP and OTR encryption, along with HTTPS. Layer upon layer of strong encryption seems to be the only way. Considering the guy potentially ruined his life to leak all of this stuff, I'll take that as gospel tbh.

kyub wrote: »
    He reckons the only thing the NSA really still have problems with is a combination or TOR along with PGP and OTR encryption, along with HTTPS. Layer upon layer of strong encryption seems to be the only way. Considering the guy potentially ruined his life to leak all of this stuff, I'll take that as gospel tbh.
    Taking anything as "gospel", especially when it involves cryptography is extremely risky as it is the equivalent of believing in unbreakable ciphers. A lot of the TOR information is quite dated.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Primary change: instead of thinking everything is probably compromised, I know everything is definitely compromised.

I haven't changed much else to be honest, the plain fact is I get too much business value from things like Google Apps to move.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I never use VPNs because I don't trust any other network. If I wanted to be anonymous I would use Tor, but to be honest, I have no real means to use Tor.

I became more security conscious in general. I did more research on the likes of SSL and enciphers. I always assume anything I do online is being read. I even did checks on SSL certs on websites for interest.

One thing I never was really concerned about was the use of telephone tapping. I haven't changed my habits but I have stopped using work phones (ones that "are not recorded" so they say), just because I feel I have more privacy with my mobile phone. I would always assume someone could listen and watch everything I do regardless.

I cut Google Apps and got my own server. Not because of the NSA reading it, but because Google's Privacy Policies were not secure. I also like to control things myself.

I've since paid a lot more attention to data protection breaches in Ireland. I read the entire act the week it came out (before I just flicked through it) and realised that most businesses with CCTV don't actually show signs telling you this. I paid more attention to how my data is being used when I'm asked for it and for what purposes it's for, and if I'm in doubt, I don't feel strange asking.

I tend to make names, addresses, postcodes and dates of birth up when signing up to websites that really don't need to know that information. I would aim to use the likes of PayPal more often if the website is not one that's familiar and I check the address bar A LOT. I tend to have several different passwords which are changed frequently and I don't copy them on my PC. I don't save them. I also encrypted my hard drives.

Where I can, I use 2 step authentication because I tend to use public computers when accessing these.

I wiped my entire hard drive when I got a very strange virus, flashing bios, reinstalled O.S. and changed all passwords. Since then I have been very rigorous and install Windows frequently. On my PC I use linux.

I always assumed that some Government could be watching but this just confirmed it.

One thing is the use of WiFi networks I tend not to use because nothing is free. I would always assume these networks gather statistics etc on you and try to build a profile of you. Tesco have WiFi for example, but you need your clubcard number.

It's not that I was never security conscious. I always was, I just have been more rigorous and paid more attention to how my data is being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A lot of my communication is done over SSH anyway. A lot of my email employs GPG, mostly signing not encrypting, but its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

I stopped using gmail and moved to a swiss hosting company stopped using google and now use startpage, I deleted my facebook account, I set up a server anonymously using TOR and bitcoin so i could have anonymous email with GPG and anonymous browsing using SSH tunnels. I use OTR when I can and avoid putting anything sensitive into mail. I use HTTPS everywhere. Lots more stuff that I don't want to put here. http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/new-snowden-docs-indicate-scope-of-nsa-preparations-for-cyber-battle-a-1013409.html#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

Bitcoin doesnt give you anonymous anything^^^

_Jumper_ wrote: »

VPN+TOR+SSH tunnel to anonymous VPS= ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

bd0101 wrote: »
    One year after the privacy enlightenment that Snowden gave the world, some of us have taken steps to safeguard their lives, some not.

I am curious to ask the forum of what steps have you taken? be it technological, process/procedures, etc.

If possible, please give some depth and details so readers can duplicate or comment.

- I started using a vpn (non-US based one), have taken offline all my personal content, have limited the use of my online accounts (facebook, google+), and signed up to a non-US-based e-mail provider.

Ok I'll bite:

- Switched from gmail to an e-mail provider based in Norway.
    - For my home based business I insist everyons encrypts messages via gpg.
    - When we need to talk together we use OTR.
    - Have full disk encryption on my own laptop and external USB keys. (Believe it or not, I just encrypted the home folder until beginning of last year).
    - Rehearsed memory techniques to remember long passwords.

Look forward to hearing what you guys come up with.

It can if used correctly.

If you obtain the Bitcoins through selling goods or buy them for cash then the original transaction can't be traced back to you, so you cannot be traced through the Blockchain in that way.

You can also use a service like Bitcoin Fog to mix your coins further.

When I want to obtain Bitcoins I send cash to a seller based in Germany, who then gives me the coins minus a small commission, you also need to make sure that your wallet software connects over Tor to be certain your IP address isn't linked to a certain transaction.

Ahh, if someone was determined, ^^ they'd find ya.

jmcc wrote: »
    There's a certain irony in an agency running a VPN service and charging those being surveilled for using it.

Indeed, but they would have to charge something or give themselves away.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Indeed, but they would have to charge something or give themselves away.

The FBI are looking to get a part of some law changed in the US to allow them to actively hack anyone using Tor or a VPN.

On news site the other day i read it.

Ahh, if someone was determined, ^^ they'd find ya.

Not from my Bitcoin transactions they won't! :)

The FBI are looking to get a part of some law changed in the US to allow them to actively hack anyone using Tor or a VPN.

On news site the other day i read it.

http://fee.org/freeman/detail/youll-never-guess-whos-trying-to-hack-your-iphone

There it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Is it true that transferring email account from gmail to norway/swiss account etc only works if the people you send emails to also transfer their accounts? Otherwise your sent mail is in their account??

correct. sending anything to anyone anywhere is inherently insecure because of tempora, PRISM and probably other programmes we are not aware of. USE PGP/GPG. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempora

stooge wrote: »
    Is it true that transferring email account from gmail to norway/swiss account etc only works if the people you send emails to also transfer their accounts? Otherwise your sent mail is in their account??

Stooge,

You're right, this is a very important point. Your e-mail server can be located in a data protection friendly jurisdiction like Norway but if you e-mail your friend in Hawaii, it could pass across any number of servers.

As digitalninja says you can use gpg for peace of mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Email isn't encrypted anyway, and TLS isn't always used (Gmail & Outlook support it, but not all others do) so messages can be (and are) sent in plain text.

Forgot to mention that I also set up a Raspberry Pi as a Tor relay (note, NOT an exit node!).

This is a good idea for its own sake as it helps others connect to tor hidden services faster.

It's also excellent for providing you with plausible denial as you're channeling tor traffic 24/7. As such, it's much more difficult to detect your own traffic amongst everyone else's, although my buddies on StackExchange debate how much more anonymity this actually affords you.

Forgot to mention that I also set up a Raspberry Pi as a Tor relay (note, NOT an exit node!).

This is a good idea for its own sake as it helps others connect to tor hidden services faster.

It's also excellent for providing you with plausible denial as you're channeling tor traffic 24/7. As such, it's much more difficult to detect your own traffic amongst everyone else's, although my buddies on StackExchange debate how much more anonymity this actually affords you.
    Anything super dodgy done on an exit node can be distinguished from the hosters so probably no more anonymity. Few countries looking at taking the "tough sh1t hoster guy" line though and blaming/charging host.

And brand spangly new Raspberry pie out today.

Proper upgrade this time for same price.

• Advertisement

Anything super dodgy done on an exit node can be distinguished from the hosters so probably no more anonymity. Few countries looking at taking the "tough sh1t hoster guy" line though and blaming/charging host.

And brand spangly new Raspberry pie out today.

Proper upgrade this time for same price.

This one is a non exit relay. Hope to encourage more use of hidden services!

Advertisement