Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absent Fathers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ok guys,Im re-opening this thread however there are some ground rules.

This

Heard a shocking statistic today, that in the UK, over a quarter of kids have no contact with their father.

Don't think the statistics are that high in Ireland, but there's definitely a growing number of dads who don't seem to give a crap about their offspring.

I think most people can agree that it can't be very good for kids growing up without a dad. So why do so many guys run away from their responsibilities?

Should something be done? What could be done? How come it's happening so much nowadays, when it didn't before?

is the opening post.

Alot of the posts after this had'nt anything to do with the questions asked,there were a unfounded accusatory posts with the same old stuff being trotted out.This is not and will not be tolerated.The mods have tried friendly warnings about staying on topic in other threads that descended into similar territory that we are in now,we have tried sterner on thread warnings,neither seem to work so Im afraid that only leaves one option.Be advised,posts deemed to be off topic are at the mods discretion.

This thread will be left open however any,and I mean any off topic posts,any soap boxing agenda pushing,any back biting,sniping or bitching will result in a 1 week ban,no exceptions.If you quote a subject or study and present it as fact you better have a credible link attached otherwise that will be deleted and you will be banned for being off topic.If people cant post here without showing a bit of respect to eachother then your posting privileges will be removed.

Thanks,Ned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Reward

Reward suggested that the total "number of women that abort, abandon, walk out on and force or abuse fathers out against their will is beyond the number of fathers that willfully walk out on their children."
    That's 180,000 + the number of women who abandon their children or force fathers out against their will each year > the number of men who abandon their kids each year.
    Self-evidently, he's right. Though I concur, I'm not sure what he was exactly driving at with that particular bit of maths.

This was the true context
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70163192&postcount=49

Personality disorders like NPD are also a factor in the small number of cases where the man is absent genuinely of his own volition and out of selfishness, people effected with PD's like that are largely incapable of being psychologically and emotionally present for others for the overwhelming majority of men, having to decide to leave a child or being forced out of his child's life, is an horrific experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Reward wrote: »
    Personality disorders like NPD are also a factor in the small number of cases where the man is absent genuinely of his own volition and out of selfishness, people effected with PD's like that are largely incapable of being psychologically and emotionally present for others.

Firstly, I'd like to know what NPD is?

And secondly I'd like to know how a person with PD (whatever it is) can be psychologically and emotionally present enough, to have a relationship with a woman, get her pregnant and then decide he want's to become absent? Does the PD only kick in when his partner gets pregnant?

Fittle wrote: »
    Firstly, I'd like to know what NPD is?

And secondly I'd like to know how a person with PD (whatever it is) can be psychologically and emotionally present enough, to have a relationship with a woman, get her pregnant and then decide he want's to become absent? Does the PD only kick in when his partner gets pregnant?

Narcissists are born or made like that, they can't really connect with people but they are usually suductive, exciting and manipulative and she / he will generally have no problems making people fall in love with them. No mentally healthy man under ordinary circumstances just walks away from his children, despite popular prejuduce.

Can you be less aggressive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

While Reward yes it is very easy to understand how NPDs walk away from their kids, not all NPDs do walk away from them, some are parents, ok frustrating and often bad ones but not all fathers who walk away have NPD. I think that is a distracting path to take, especially since it looks like NPD will be eliminated from the dsm V.

Also you are painting a very reductive picture of a very complex and disputed disorder.

While Reward yes it is very easy to understand how NPDs walk away from their kids, not all NPDs do walk away from them, some are parents, ok frustrating and often bad ones but not all fathers who walk away have NPD. I think that is a distracting path to take, especially since it looks like NPD will be eliminated from the dsm V.

Also you are painting a very reductive picture of a very complex and disputed disorder.

Its yet another factor, mentally healthy people generally dont abandon their kids, the small minority of men and women that abandon their children are in no way indicitive of the male or female population despite popular prejudices to the contary.

Just found a bit on narcissism and child abandonment.

http://www.wellsphere.com/mental-health-article/narcissistic-mothers-fathers-abandon-their-children/983121

Its yet another factor, mentally healthy people generally dont abandon their kids, the smal minority of men and women that abandon their children are in no way indicitive of the male or female population.

No one is saying they are representative of the whole population.

However, pinning it down to NPD is a bit off. Yes it can be NPD. It can also being unable to cope, or it can be down to pure selfishness and not wanting the responsibility.

No one is saying they are representative of the whole population.

However, pinning it down to NPD is a bit off. Yes it can be NPD. It can also being unable to cope, or it can be down to pure selfishness and not wanting the responsibility.

I clearly haven't pinned it down to NPD, its one of the numerous contributing factors that arent controlled for in the sweeping claim that was made by the BBC, people generally don't abandon their children under normal conditions and child abandonment isnt gendered at all, despite popular prejudice.

I clearly haven't pinned it down to NPD, its one of the numerous contributing factors that arent controlled for in the sweeping claim that was made by the BBC.

Yes and probably a lot more common than people think. I would certainly think abandoning a child could be an indication of an ASPD.

• Advertisement

I do think that in cases of paternity fraud and entrapment there is strong justification for walking along with when the mother choses to go ahead with parenthood when the father would prefer abortion or adoption. Im strongly in favour of LC4M.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I do think that in cases of paternity fraud and entrapment there is strong justification for walking along with when the mother choses to go ahead with parenthood when the father would prefer abortion or adoption. Im strongly in favour of LC4M.

Could you stop using acronyms that a lot of posters may not be familiar with if you don't mind please? LC4M is legal choice for men for anyone who doesn't know. DNA testing would reduce paternity fraud imo, that said not much of this or your post is relevant to the OP so I'll stop now.

Oh ok so you basically support abandoning the child when you dont want the child.

And you just said the people who abandon their kids are not mentally healthy? What?

Oh ok so you basically support abandoning the child when you dont want the child.

And you just said the people who abandon their kids are not mentally healthy? What?

To have the same options that women have, nothing more. Legal choice for both men and women, using LC4M is not abandoning a child, its opting out of parenthood before the child is born, an abortion if you like, until we have that right, in cases where men are forced into parenthood against their will or targeted for entrapment or embezzlement or are being held fiancially responsible for children that are not theirs or any pregnancy or child related scam, walking is justified, IMO.

A few more factors there that the BBC's 25% hasn't controlled for just there.

To have the same options that women have, nothing more. Legal choice for both men and women, using LC4M is not abandoning a child, its opting out of parenthood before the child is born, an abortion if you like. In cases where men are forced into parenthood against their will or targeted for entrapment or embezzlement or are being held fiancially responsible for children that are not theirs. Walking is justified, IMO.

Well that is abandoning your child if you opt out before the child is born.

If its not your child then you are not abandoning your child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Heard a shocking statistic today, that in the UK, over a quarter of kids have no contact with their father.

Don't think the statistics are that high in Ireland, but there's definitely a growing number of dads who don't seem to give a crap about their offspring.

I think most people can agree that it can't be very good for kids growing up without a dad. So why do so many guys run away from their responsibilities?

Should something be done? What could be done? How come it's happening so much nowadays, when it didn't before?

OK, to get back to the OP and try and focus on the many reasons that men may walk away rather than personal ones, I'd say:

1. Many too young - they just are too immature (this is usually the stereotypical teenage Dads but covers others I'm sure we are all aware of too!).

There was a scheme ran by Barnardos reuniting "deadbeat" Dads and their children. The main reason they weren't around was just ignorance and lack of education about what was involved and the responsibilities. I'd say some just used that as an excuse but I'd say many were just very young and ran a mile. Not good but understandable. Education and support groups would come in handy here as the positive responses from the scheme were very encouraging.

2. Many just don't give a f*ck. These would be the deadbeat Dads and I'm not sure if there is anything society can do in this regard, they just don't give a bollicks. I've known one or 2 of these types and they just aren't nice people, father or no father, the child is irrelevant, doesn't matter to them and they'll be the types who'll just think of themselves, the constant wriggling out of paying maintenance is a manifestation of the character type. I wouldn't be surprised if they share some psychological traits with Socio-paths. Not sure if there are any remedies here, barring courts.

3. Fear of the Mothers reaction and court battles.
    I think this is quite common, I often see it when fathers post about not seeing their children and when asked what did they do to see their children, the answer often is very little. It's usually due to a obstructive mother or hearing that "fathers never win" in the courts. I'd have sympathy here but usually I think they just haven't tried hard enough and gave up the ghost too easily. Been through the courts and a difficult mother and yes, courts aren't that much help, but if you can get your access and maintenance sorted usually, with time and as the child grows older and gets a mind of his/her own, things do change positively.

I've been there and the thought of "just feck it" did cross my mind through the initial tough times, denial of access over petty things or absolutely nothing or the mother thought she was always right and "her way or no way", but the denial of access several times was worth it in the end. He's 12 now and makes his own mind up on things.

4. Depression. This can very easily engulf men who are finding it tough to see their children. Linked to 3 above, many just don't have the fight and having depression means most rational thought, like on this thread, just goes out the window. When I was denied access it did affect me and I can understand why many men just give up. This category is different to 3 above but many, including the mother may paint them as spineless etc. like in No. 3, but the truth is totally different.

I was lucky enough in getting access sorted within a couple of months but if it goes on for months and months......

5. Controlling, vindictive etc. mothers.

They do exist. Some Dads may just give up on the endless battles, both with the ex and courts. The courts will usually side with the mother unless the behaviour is completely obvious or involves drugs, alcohol, easily proved abuse.

To try and get an idea of what a Dad faces here, think of the character traits that the feckless Dads have and imagine a mother having them, often socio path traits again. The difference in a Dads case is, the court presumes the mother, regardless of character is the custodian of the child in the vast majority of cases, she's presumed innocent until proven guilty and while that is true in the majority of cases it makes for a nightmare scenario for a Dad fighting the exception to the rule.

He's fighting somebody who is very manipulative and calculating. At least if a Dad has these character traits, the mother can usually prove that in court and have no access or very little. A Dad fighting a Mother like that faces a whole other set of problems with little or no support.

Many do battle on and get custody after years of battling. Others, the mother grinds them down. You are fighting somebody with a God complex and the child is just a tool, a possession, the spoils of war as such.

Anyway, I don't buy the feminism argument whatsoever, it has got nothing to with it. Society is set up a certain way atm, usually the Mum is the main carer during a relationship and if a split happens, the courts go with the status quo. Until men equally share the care of children while in a relationship in the vast majority of cases, the courts will not reflect a 50/50 care ratio by default. Society is changing and has changed in that regard though and I'd say, within a decade or so, the courts will have to treat 50/50 as default and work from there in each individual case.

The cards are stacked against men though, not because of feminism, but because of out dated societal attitudes. I always got the impression from courts and solicitors that Dads have to prove themselves and offering reasonable child maintenance or looking for decent access was a surprise to them. Whether that's down to their experience or old fashioned prejudice from what is an increasingly out dated system, I don't now.

Getting back to the OP, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't near the 25% in the UK here. I can't see any reason why there would be a big difference here. I think men need to face up to the problem and stop solely focusing on the bad mothers, undoubtedly a major problem and give equal focus to the men who walk away due to lack of education and immaturity. Most of them IMO are decent enough lads and if given a chance will step up to the mark, they just need a little push and an attitude adjustment.

There is no need to complicate the issue and introduce feminism or abortion or whatever you are having yourself. The reasons are simple enough to me and just down to character traits that are shared by individuals, both male and female.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well that is abandoning your child if you opt out before the child is born.

Depends on your position on choice for women, I personally support a womans right to abort, so by the same standard I support a mans right to abort parenthood in the same time frame as a women has to chose to abort herself. That way you get equality in reproductive rights and IMO fewer pregnancy related scams and children born unwanted.

If its not your child then you are not abandoning your child.

Right, men shouldn't be held legally responsible for children that aren't theirs, but some are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

K-9 wrote: »
    OK, to get back to the OP and try and focus on the many reasons that men may walk away rather than personal ones, I'd say:

1. Many too young - they just are too immature (this is usually the stereotypical teenage Dads but covers others I'm sure we are all aware of too!).

2. Many just don't give a f*ck. These would be the deadbeat Dads and I'm not sure if there is anything society can do in this regard, they just don't give a bollicks.

3. Fear of the Mothers reaction and court battles.

4. Depression. This can very easily engulf men who are finding it tough to see their children. Linked to 3 above, many just don't have the fight

5. Controlling, vindictive etc. mothers.

From an earlier post of mine I'd add:

6. Lack of knowledge (i.e the father was never told, either due to the woman not knowing who is was or b. linked to five above)

7. Death, the father has died while the child is still young, and so is no longer in the childs life.

If you were to be somewhat fanciful and apply the same likelihood to them all, then you would say that approx 3.5% of children in the survey have no contact with their father due to each reason. Based on your points 1 and 2, I'd consider them similiar (given that no matter how immature the mother has she ends up with the kid) so boil it down to six potential reasons for a father being absent and the percentage per reason for absenteeism goes up to just over 4%.

Excluding death and mental illness, one is left with 4 different reasons as to why a father may be absent, based on the action of one of the parents, (immaturity/deadbeatness, fear, vindictive mothers, lack of awareness of fatherhood.)

In the case of those four instances which essentially are actions taken by one parent or another, the reason why the childs father is absent is based 50/50 in terms of gender on the actions of one of the two parents.

That's just my hypothesis without any statistical backup or anything else, I've taken your scenarios, added two of my own, taken out those which are not a conscious choice on the part of a parent, and arrived at the premise that those 25% (or 17% if you take out the percentage who in my theory are due to death/mental illness) of children in the UK who do not have their fathers in their lives, do not, due to a conscious decision on the part of one parent who chooses for that to be the case (mental illness and death excepted.)

Flawed logic, but it was interesting to extrapolate.

Depends on your position on choice for women, I personally support a womans right to abort, so by the same standard I support a mans right to abort parenthood in the same time frame as a women has to chose to abort herself. That way you get equality in reproductive rights and IMO fewer pregnancy related scams and children born unwanted.

Right, men shouldn't be held legally responsible for children that aren't theirs, but some are.

Then you do support fathers abandoning kids they don't want.

k-9

Great and refreshing post.

I would add two more to your list:

1. addiction, whether drugs or alcohol

2. prison

• Advertisement

Then you do support fathers abandoning kids they don't want.

Don't badger me. As I already said I support LC4M and protection from forced fatherhood or child farming for profit and entrapment type scams. In these cases until there is a legal option, walking is justified IMO, but illegal. In normal circumstances, mentally healthy people don't abandon children that have bonded with them. Forced fatherhood and child related scams are not normal circumstances, they are embezzlement.

Don't badger me. As I already said I support LC4M and protection from forced fatherhood or child farming for profit and entrapment type scams. In these cases until there is a legal option, walking is justified. In normal circumstances, mentally healthy people don't abandon children that have bonded with them. Forced fatherhood and child related scams are not normal circumstances.

Im not badgering you. But you are being evasive and fuzzy. It's ok, I get the picture.

I've been involved in this debate before and I don't know if it is a major issue as regards the OP. In my experience, it isn't a major factor, though undoubtedly it does arise.

I think it's more theoretical than practical but I could, no doubt, be wrong.

I'd be loathe to extend a subject that is is extremely divisive and subjective to this debate as I think it becomes a humanitarian topic, rather than a real life one.

Personally I'm anti abortion, though pro choice in society. Normally I'd like to see equal rights for both sexes but on this one, nah, it looks like equality for the sake of equality, change for the sake of change to me. No doubt my personal prejudice informs my viewpoint.

I can see why it is unfair men don't have the same choices as women, but to me, we are opening up a whole other can of worms, a super sized version of the existing can of worms, by granting equality in this scenario.

I think you'd need to outline what the consequences of what you envisage would mean for society and the children in particular. If it's equal rights at all costs and f*ck the consequences for the child, well I can't buy it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I've been involved in this debate before and I don't know if it is a major issue as regards the OP. In my experience, it isn't a major factor, though undoubtedly it does arise.

I think it's more theoretical than practical but I could, no doubt, be wrong.

I'd be loathe to extend a subject that is is extremely divisive and subjective to this debate as I think it becomes a humanitarian topic, rather than a real life one.

Personally I'm anti abortion, though pro choice in society. Normally I'd like to see equal rights for both sexes but on this one, nah, it looks like equality for the sake of equality, change for the sake of change to me. No doubt my personal prejudice informs my viewpoint.

I can see why it is unfair men don't have the same choices as women, but to me, we are opening up a whole other can of worms, a super sized version of the existing can of worms, by granting equality in this scenario.

I think you'd need to outline what the consequences of what you envisage would mean for society and the children in particular. If it's equal rights at all costs and f*ck the consequences for the child, well I can't buy it.

Relating it to the origional post.

LC4M I think would result in fewer absent fathers, fewer unwanted and "accidental" pregnancies, less child abuse in the forms of children for profit/entrapment scams and fewer unwanted children and so fewer abused children and so fewer criminals and abusive adults.

LC4M I think would result in fewer absent fathers, fewer unwanted and "accidental" pregnancies, abuses in the forms of children for profit/entrapment scams and fewer unwanted children and so fewer abused children and so fewer criminals and abusive adults.

Why? Have you any sort of studies/statistics to back up your claims about profit/entrapment scams? How would LC4M stop a condom breaking or a pill being ineffective due to illness?

I'm sorry but I consider that argument utterly absurd.

Stheno wrote: »
    Why? Have you any sort of studies/statistics to back up your claims about profit/entrapment scams? How would LC4M stop a condom breaking or a pill being ineffective due to illness?

I'm sorry but I consider that argument utterly absurd.

Nobody ever said it would stop a condom breaking or a pill failure, I suggested that it would result in fewer "accidental" pregnancies, meaning not really accidents. And no I have no studies on how LC4M reduces pregnancy related embezzlement, LC4M does not actually exist, I do believe that people would be less likely to risk a child for profit scam or "accidental" pregnancy when they know that the father has legal choice, and following that logic, if people are less likely to attempt pregnancy related fraud there would be fewer unwanted and unloved children born and so fewer problems in society.

From an earlier post of mine I'd add:

6. Lack of knowledge (i.e the father was never told, either due to the woman not knowing who is was or b. linked to five above)

7. Death, the father has died while the child is still young, and so is no longer in the childs life.

If you were to be somewhat fanciful and apply the same likelihood to them all, then you would say that approx 3.5% of children in the survey have no contact with their father due to each reason. Based on your points 1 and 2, I'd consider them similiar (given that no matter how immature the mother has she ends up with the kid) so boil it down to six potential reasons for a father being absent and the percentage per reason for absenteeism goes up to just over 4%.

Excluding death and mental illness, one is left with 4 different reasons as to why a father may be absent, based on the action of one of the parents, (immaturity/deadbeatness, fear, vindictive mothers, lack of awareness of fatherhood.)

In the case of those four instances which essentially are actions taken by one parent or another, the reason why the childs father is absent is based 50/50 in terms of gender on the actions of one of the two parents.

That's just my hypothesis without any statistical backup or anything else, I've taken your scenarios, added two of my own, taken out those which are not a conscious choice on the part of a parent, and arrived at the premise that those 25% (or 17% if you take out the percentage who in my theory are due to death/mental illness) of children in the UK who do not have their fathers in their lives, do not, due to a conscious decision on the part of one parent who chooses for that to be the case (mental illness and death excepted.)

Flawed logic, but it was interesting to extrapolate.

True, my points were very general, yes, 1 definitely happens, I'd say more so than many care to acknowledge. The whole "I wont put the Dads name on the birth cert because somebody told me wont get the Social" type thing. Many mothers either choose not to inform the Dad or many just don't know who the Dad is and can't trace him.

2. Very true. Something like 15% of Single Parents are Dads, a significant number. Widowers make up a large proportion of that figure. If 85% of Single Parents are Mothers, I'd say saying 10% of those are widows wouldn't be wide of the mark.

As for percentage, it's very hard to know. Unless we have a proper survey on the reasons and tbh, from my experience of debates on single parents, there are very little statistics on the group, regardless of gender, it's hard to put definite percentages on it. I'm just guessing on the widower figures, my assumption is the percentage of male widows would be higher.

One thing is for sure, there are very few facts and figures on single parents considering they make up an increasing substantial minority in this country. In many schools, single and divorced/split up families make up the majority of family set ups. It's an area that seems to be ignored by the authorities here, something that is brushed under the carpet and absent Dads suffer even more because of that.

Nobody ever said it would stop a condom breaking or a pill failure, I suggested that it would result in fewer "accidental" pregnancies, meaning not really accidents. And no I have no studies on how LC4M reduces pregnancy related embezzlement, LC4M does not actually exist, I do believe that people would be less likely to risk a child for profit scam or "accidental" pregnancy when they know that the father has legal choice.

It would also result in a lot less premarital sex.

Nobody ever said it would stop a condom breaking or a pill failure, I suggested that it would result in fewer "accidental" pregnancies, meaning not really accidents. And no I have no studies on how LC4M reduces pregnancy related embezzlement, LC4M does not actually exist, I do believe that people would be less likely to risk a child for profit scam or "accidental" pregnancy when they know that the father has legal choice.

Err a pregnancy as a result of a condom breaking or pill failure would be termed an "accidental" pregnancy.

Or is your use of "accidental" to convey your belief/feeling that there aren't really "accidental" pregnancies but rather the result of a cunning plan to entrap men into supporting children?

• Advertisement

Err a pregnancy as a result of a condom breaking or pill failure would be termed an "accidental" pregnancy.

Or is your use of "accidental" to convey your belief/feeling that there aren't really "accidental" pregnancies but rather the result of a cunning plan to entrap men into supporting children?

That is exactly what he thinks, with no thought to the fathers who would simply walk regardless of accident or not, and Im guessing he thinks there would be a time limit too on this, in that it would have to be signed by the 21st week and there would be a hard fast rule that they cannot ever enter the child's life again.

So humane. Im touched.

Stheno, you seem to be trying to allege that I believe that all pregnancies are fraudulent and against the fathers will. Which makes no sense whatsoever so I'm going to terminate this conversation here.

One thing is for sure, there are very few facts and figures on single parents considering they make up an increasing substantial minority in this country. In many schools, single and divorced/split up families make up the majority of family set ups. It's an area that seems to be ignored by the authorities here, something that is brushed under the carpet and absent Dads suffer even more because of that.

A good trawl through the CSO website would probably generate a fairly accurate picture in terms of single parents in the country I reckon. Would be fairly long and arduous. The divorce rate here is approx 27.5% last time I checked, and in 2007 the rate of births to single mothers was 32% of all births, so you point makes sense given that between the divorce rate and the stats from 2009 ref. single mothers (not including single fathers) that hits 59.5%, however that doesn't take into account that not all divorces involve children (can't find any stats on that yet :) )

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=16244

k-9

Great and refreshing post.

I would add two more to your list:

1. addiction, whether drugs or alcohol

2. prison

I'm sure prison is a factor but I'd say Drugs and alcohol is far bigger, coupled with depression.

I suppose mothers would say it is because of the drink and drugs they will not let the children see the Dad and that is true in many cases. Other cases, the Dad seeks refuge in alcohol and drugs or depression envelopes him.

It's very easy, particularly in Ireland to seek refuge in Drink and before you know it.............................the refuge becomes part of the problem.

I'd say, just as drink and drugs can be a negative influence, so can depression, which in this country, is often covered up by drink and drugs. Often the underlying cause of the addiction is the drink, it's a refuge during tough times, a way out, as such.

Without getting into a debate over that, I think depression is grossly under estimated from mothers (as is the norm). They just see a Dad who is being uncooperative, doesn't give a damn, when it very often is the case he is depressed because of the circumstances he finds him in.

Depression is bad enough for a mother who has the child, for a Dad who in his mind has lost his child, which is what it feels like after a split, it can lead to him giving up, which is portrayed as him not caring, thus making the situation worse.

The Dad can't say he is depressed in court or to solicitors as it will be used as a tool against him, another thing to use against him.

Stheno, you seem to be trying to allege that I believe that all pregnancies are fraudulent and against the fathers will. Which makes no sense whatsoever so I'm going to terminate this conversation here.

I'm not, I simply pointed out that accidental pregnancies include those caused by pill/condom failure.

Is that something that you agree can be the case?

I'm not, I simply pointed out that accidental pregnancies include those caused by pill/condom failure.

Is that something that you agree can be the case?

Accidental pregnancies and "accidental" pregnancies are two different things. One is a genuine accident the other is fraud and an abuse that results in more unwanted children being born with a higher likelihood of having an absentee father. I didn't conflate the two, you did. Pregnancy related frauds are inherently abusive and dysfunctional.

• Advertisement

LC4M I think would result in fewer absent fathers, fewer unwanted and "accidental" pregnancies, less child abuse in the forms of children for profit/entrapment scams and fewer unwanted children and so fewer abused children and so fewer criminals and abusive adults.

Why would it?

Can you outline the reasons why the above would result?

A good trawl through the CSO website would probably generate a fairly accurate picture in terms of single parents in the country I reckon. Would be fairly long and arduous. The divorce rate here is approx 27.5% last time I checked, and in 2007 the rate of births to single mothers was 32% of all births, so you point makes sense given that between the divorce rate and the stats from 2009 ref. single mothers (not including single fathers) that hits 59.5%, however that doesn't take into account that not all divorces involve children (can't find any stats on that yet :) )

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=16244

Ah no, those type of figures are readily available, probably due to the the census.

From my experience, in a school in a part of Dublin, 10 years ago, the rate was higher among single/divorces parents and.

Those figures are readily available and are basic data. Try and find figures on absent Dads like the Op's or the % who pay maintenance......................

You'll get general data on single parent families readily enough, try and get a breakdown and there is little or nothing out there.

Accidental pregnancies and "accidental" pregnancies are two different things. One is a genuine accident the other is fraud and an abuse that results in more unwanted children being born. I didn't conflate the two, you did. Pregnancy related frauds are inherently abusive and dysfunctional.

So essentially what I said a few posts ago is correct, you differentiate between accidental pregnancies.

Easy one in that regard is for a guy who absolutely does not want children to a. use a condom and b. if there is a problem with the condom to go with their partner to Boots/GP/Family Planning and ensure they get the morning after pill to reduce any possible chance of an accidental pregnancy occuring.

Perhaps you should refrain from using the term accidental pregnancy in your argument, and rather term it "entrapment/deliberately planning on getting pregnant under false pretences" rather than choosing to apply a second meaning to an accidental pregnancy using "" to denote a second meaning, similiar to your use of acronyms earlier.

Do you have any statistics/studies in relation to how common it is for women to try to/get pregnant in order to entrap a guy into supporting them/the child? Or any on how widespread false paternity is?

Ah no, those type of figures are readily available, probably due to the the census.

From my experience, in a school in a part of Dublin, 10 years ago, the rate was higher among single/divorces parents and.

Those figures are readily available and are basic data. Try and find figures on absent Dads like the Op's or the % who pay maintenance......................

You'll get general data on single parent families readily enough, try and get a breakdown and there is little or nothing out there.

Even the basic figures support your argument though.

I imagine the % who pay maintenance etc are unavailable in part due to the family courts being in camera? And the Dept of Social Welfare probably wouldn't release stats on how many/what percentage of single mothers have their allowance cut due to their recieving maintenance. That wouldn't include any recieving it into the hand so to speak.

Bit like trying to prove a partner is cohabiting with a single parent etc :)

Why would it?

Can you outline the reasons why the above would result?

The logic I'm following as I said is that if men had legal choice, child and pregnancy related fraud should fade away because it wouldn't be worth the risk as the father cant be trapped for sure, which is what child and pregnancy fraud relies on, entrapment.

So in theory fewer unwanted children would be born to abusive mothers fathered by men that didn't want to become fathers in the first place ergo fewer abused/neglected/unwanted children that can potentially grow up to be abusive themselves.

Child and pregnancy fraud is abusive and dysfunctional from the get go.

The idea of men having reproductive rights freaks a lot of traditionally minded people out, I didn't invent the concept and its no different from a womans options, so if anyone is uncomfortable with it don't shoot or harass the messenger, please.

• Advertisement

The logic I'm following as I said is that if men had legal choice, child and pregnancy related fraud should fade away because it wouldn't be worth the risk as the father cant be trapped for sure, which is what child and pregnancy fraud relies on, entrapment.

So in theory fewer unwanted children would be born to abusive mothers fathered by men that didn't want to become fathers in the first place ergo fewer abused/neglected/unwanted children that can potentially grow up to be abusive themselves.

The idea of men having reproductive rights freaks a lot of traditionally minded people out, I didn't invent the concept and its no different from a womans options, so if anyone is uncomfortable with it don't shoot or harass the messenger, please.

I get you now. Basically all of these abusive women who are out to trap men would realise the man had an opt out so to speak, and would refrain from this behaviour?

And as they bring up abused/neglected/unwanted children those children would never essentially come into being so the entire cycle would stop?

I get you now. Basically all of these abusive women who are out to trap men would realise the man had an opt out so to speak, and would refrain from this behaviour?

And as they bring up abused/neglected/unwanted children those children would never essentially come into being so the entire cycle would stop?

Stop following me around trying to build strawmen. The minority of women that commit child/pregnancy fraud would be discouraged and so fewer fathers would be forced into parenthood against their wishes and fewer children would be exploited in that particular way and exposed to a life with an abusive mother and potental absentee father, so that particular thread of dysfunction would likely fade away.

Even the basic figures support your argument though.

I imagine the % who pay maintenance etc are unavailable in part due to the family courts being in camera? And the Dept of Social Welfare probably wouldn't release stats on how many/what percentage of single mothers have their allowance cut due to their recieving maintenance. That wouldn't include any recieving it into the hand so to speak.

Bit like trying to prove a partner is cohabiting with a single parent etc :)

Ach, maybe if we both get time tomorrow evening we might dig up some stats? ;)

IIRC, there aren't many stats on maintenance payers, largely due to your reasons.

I remember the Indo and a certain right wing very ahem! RC Mr. David Quinn making a mountain out of a molehill, due to stats being issued by the Maintenance Recovery Unit of the Dept. of SW. I wont go into my own personal bug bear but let's just say, he was using a very biased and unrepresentative data selection to represent all unmarried/separated Dads.

Basically he used a data selection of men who by definition aren't going to pay maintenance to represent ALL Single Dads. Would expect no better of him and the agendas who jumped on it.

Well my logic is if there is pregnancy fraud, there has to be at least 2 supposed Dads. The fraud doesn't apply to one Dad by definition.

So, if you abort the child, the real Dad suffers. There has to be a real Dad in a paternity fraud? Right? So, yes, you correct one wrong, but the Real Dad still suffers.

Yep men do have reproductive rights so you can forget that strawman.

The problem with equal reproductive rights is when the man wants to keep the child and the mother wants an abortion. What happens then?

Ach, maybe if we both get time tomorrow evening we might dig up some stats? ;)

IIRC, there aren't many stats on maintenance payers, largely due to your reasons.

I'd not spend hours on it, but it might be interesting to see what a quick trawl would bring up, I've previously spent time (due to my predilection (sp?) for argument there, and tbh, once you know what you are looking for it's amazing the information that is there, so might well be worth a look :)
    The problem with equal reproductive rights is when the man wants to keep the child and the mother wants an abortion. What happens then?

Perhaps the same arrangement for the mother? That if they are willing to, then they go through with the pregnancy and the father files for full custody upon birth with an LC4W arrangement in place and the legalities of it available?

If the mother is unwilling though then ultimately she can choose to go and have an abortion, it's a very fraught area.

In terms of paternity fraud, I think Reward has mentioned entrapment also, that wouldn't involve two dads, but could be classed as fraud.

Well my logic is if there is pregnancy fraud, there has to be at least 2 supposed Dads. The fraud doesn't apply to one Dad by definition.

We are talking about pregnancy fraud as in entrapment, embezzlement and/or when a man says specifically that he doesn't want a child and she agrees but makes sure she gets pregnant anyway.

So, if you abort the child, the real Dad suffers. There has to be a real Dad in a paternity fraud? Right? So, yes, you correct one wrong, but the Real Dad still suffers.

We are not talking about paternity fraud and anyway, the real father doesn't know in the traditional paternity fraud, only the mother does and anyway abortion doesn't necessarily hurt the father or the mother, it can hurt the father when its against his will but generally otherwise no, many people have abortions, if thats what you decide to do you just get on with it and live with it.

You do realise that lc4m is a financial, rights and responsibilities abortion for a man and that it is not a physical abortion on the womans part?

Yep men do have reproductive rights so you can forget that strawman.

I'm not aware of men having reproductive rights can you list them?

Its her choice whether or not she aborts or carries full term, as per usual. You shouldnt go forcing women to carry children full term against their will any more than men should be forced into fatherhood against their will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

It happens more today than in previous times because our society has changed. Firstly, it is more secular which means less people are actually practising their religions, more women are having babies out of wedlock, more women feel they dont need men anymore. Society has changed and so has the family structure. Men don't have the same societal pressure to stand by women. Before, when someone got pregnant, they got married quickly and that was that. Nowadays, lots of women get pregnant before marriage and there is nothing stopping the men from fecking off. There is also more that the world has to offer than years ago. Men want to travel, they are more career minded and they dont see relationships as important than men might have years ago. The need for travel, fun, sleeping around is rampant in ireland so this may increase the number of men abandoning their children. I dunno, thats my opinion anyway.

We are talking about pregnancy fraud as in entrapment, embezzlement and/or when a man says specifically that he doesn't want a child and she agrees but makes sure she gets pregnant anyway.

We are not talking about paternity fraud and anyway, the real father doesn't know in the traditional paternity fraud, only the mother does and anyway abortion doesn't necessarily hurt the father or the mother, it can hurt the father when its against his will but generally otherwise no, many people have abortions, if thats what you decide to do you just get on with it and live with it.

You do realise that lc4m is a financial, rights and responsibilities abortion for a man and that it is not a physical abortion on the womans part?

I'm not aware of men having reproductive rights can you list them?

Its her choice whether or not she aborts or carries full term, as per usual. You shouldnt go forcing women to carry children full term against their will any more than men should be forced into fatherhood against their will.

Ah right. I do get your point.

How big is it in relation to the the OP? What do you think?

Anyway, the doesn't know point doesn't cut it for me in the traditional sense. That is one persons rights over riding anothers, which is exactly my concern.

Anyway, the doesn't know point doesn't cut it for me in the traditional sense. That is one persons rights over riding anothers, which is exactly my concern.

Your concern being that a woman who finds themselves pregnant goes and has an abortion without consulting with the father at all, and/or against his wishes?

Your concern being that a woman who finds themselves pregnant goes and has an abortion without consulting with the father at all, and/or against his wishes?

Without consulting, unforgiveable.

Against his wishes? Well he can take a case in the courts against the mother committing an illegal act in this country. Abortion is illegal in this country.

If he is willing to take the flack and criticism involved in stopping a woman having going abroad and having an abortion, good luck to him.

Now, whether he can cope with the consequences of that decision, I don't know. Like, how do you force a woman who is hell bent on an abortion, to give birth to a child she doesn't want?

Without consulting, unforgiveable.

Against his wishes? Well he can take a case in the courts against the mother committing an illegal act in this country. Abortion is illegal in this country.

If he is willing to take the flack and criticism involved in stopping a woman having going abroad and having an abortion, good luck to him.

The right to travel has been passed by referendum in 1992, and afaik there is nothing that can cause it to be challenged legally.
    Now, whether he can cope with the consequences of that decision, I don't know. Like, how do you force a woman who is hell bent on an abortion, to give birth to a child she doesn't want?

There are really two issues here, one that of the emotional impact of an abortion on a father to be who does not wish an abortion to happen, and two that of the woman who could potentially be forced by law to carry a child she does not want to term.

Very very difficult scenario tbh, given the right to travel and information the woman has the law on her side and can do as she wishes (which tbh, I would agree with) yet the emotional impact on a partner/father to be who wants the pregnancy to proceed was never addressed in the relevant referendum, or indeed anywhere in the world that I am aware of, and I'm open to correction on that.

It's also a bit o/t given the OP :) Not meaning to duck out of a difficult debate at all, just mindful of Ned's earlier warning :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement