Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Political Policing? PSNI soft on Loyalists

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

guttenberg wrote: »
    Absolutely. The man appeared to be resisting arrest so the police used standard procedure to get him restrained. His innocence or guilt can be decided by a court of law, not an angry crowd arguing with the officers. His political/religious/sexual orientation should have no effect on how police deal with him, there is ample videos on Youtube showing non-compliant nationalists being dealt with in the same manner.

+1

What do people expect the police to do when someone is resisting arrest.. say "OK we tried, this guy doesn't want to come so i guess we'll just let him go". Its standard procedure to get someone under control. Happens in police forces around the world.

The loyalists around the guy at the time were just upset and shocked that the police would dare to take off the kid gloves while dealing with an ulster protestant :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

woodoo wrote: »

+1

What do people expect the police to do when someone is resisting arrest.. say "OK we tried, this guy doesn't want to come so i guess we'll just let him go". Its standard procedure to get someone under control. Happens in police forces around the world.

The loyalists around the guy at the time were just upset and shocked that the police would dare to take off the kid gloves while dealing with an ulster protestant :eek:

So should the same thing happen to a nationalist you will completely ok with it. And in responce to your. 'Kid gloves' comment does that mean you do not agree with the statement that the police are 'soft on loyalists'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

junder wrote: »
    So should the same thing happen to a nationalist you will completely ok with it. And in responce to your. 'Kid gloves' comment does that mean you do not agree with the statement that the police are 'soft on loyalists'?

Wouldn't bother me if it happened to a nationalist, if someone is resisting arrest they can't expect to be tickled into the handcuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

woodoo wrote: »

Wouldn't bother me if it happened to a nationalist, if someone is resisting arrest they can't expect to be tickled into the handcuffs.

We shall see. I will of course be referencing this post in future, should in the future you have any complaints about police knocking a nationalist unconscious in similar circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Junder, should the police have a more reserved policy when dealing with flag protestors, than say, those upset by certain parade routings? should they "back off" more as it's concerning the national flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

PSNI on the ball as usual here.

Only took them three months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21601341
    Police are to question two men prominent in the loyalist union flag protests in Belfast.

Jamie Bryson and Willie Frazer will be questioned on suspicion of organising and participating in unlawful parades.

Mr Frazer, 52, was arrested in his home village of Markethill, County Armagh.

There have been protests since Belfast City Council voted on 3 December to limit the flying of the union flag from city hall.

Mr Frazer and Mr Bryson, 23, are both spokesmen for the Ulster People's Forum, which was set up in the wake of the protests.

Mr Frazer is a well-known campaigner on loyalist issues, particularly in border areas.

He was the director of the victims' group Families Acting for Innocent Relatives (Fair) until late in 2012.

Fair was founded by Mr Frazer 13 years previously to support victims of republican violence.

Mr Bryson, from Donaghadee in County Down, is a community activist who rose to prominence as a result of the flag protest.

This seems to be the police responding to the Orange Order threat to stop notifying the parade's commission about parades.

I wonder will Jamie do what he has been advocating his fellow travelers to do and reject bail conditions and stay on remand instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

This seems to be the police responding to the Orange Order threat to stop notifying the parade's commission about parades.

I wonder will Jamie do what he has been advocating his fellow travelers to do and reject bail conditions and stay on remand instead.

Interesting article from your previous post. I just wonder what you might say to this article (re police response):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21598200
    Rocket launcher and warhead discovery 'saved lives'

Thomas_I wrote: »
    Interesting article from your previous post. I just wonder what you might say to this article (re police response):

What I might say about it?
    Uh; good.
    What has that got to do with anything?

• Advertisement

What I might say about it?
    Uh; good.
    What has that got to do with anything?

Good question. It gives me the impression that the PSNI is getting more on a level where it becomes even harder to critisize them for being "too soft on Republicans or Unionists/Loyalists". In other words they become a normal and standard police force. The article you´ve provided shows that as well, because in the old times of the RUC, Mr Frazer wouldn´t had been bothered by the police and his companion as well.

As to the story from my link, I always wonder where did these people get these devices from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

now now thomas,this thread is about the real criminals in northern ireland who wave union flags.

getz wrote: »
    now now thomas,this thread is about the real criminals in northern ireland who wave union flags.

I know that and I got your point. Nevertheless it´s a good sign that things are improving in NI, even if it is that the PSNI is acting more impartial and just doing their job which is indeed a step forward. The more normality in this regards, the better for the whole of the people and their future.

getz wrote: »

please provide link to any evidence that even one person was arrested for waving a british flag

please provide link to any evidence that even one person was arrested for waving a british flag

Can´t you see the irony in his post? :)

Can´t you see the irony in his post? :)

cant you?

• Advertisement

cant you?

I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The case against Alan Lundy has been dropped due to no evidence which the psni claimed they had but withheld for months while he was locked up in maghberry.

http://theirishlawanddemocracycommittee.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/the-case-of-alan-lundy/

Here is his statement:

'On 15th July 2012 i was arrested by the PSNI in an early morning raid on my home. This was in relation to a number of scurrilous accusations made by a single PSNI officer regarding my behaviour while acting as a steward at the successful GARC protest march against sectarianism on the 12th July 2012. I was accused by this PSNI officer of throwing a missile at police lines, an accusation that i have vociferously rejected at all times. In addition to this charge, i was also charged with an historical offence, namely attacking a British soldier in 2005 - again on the word of a single PSNI officer, over seven years after the alleged event.

As a result of the actions of these PSNI officers, my home was wrecked during the raids that accompanied my arrest -distressing my partner and two young children. Many personal items were also seized, some with sentimental value, that have still not been returned to me. The main result was that i was on remand for three months in Maghaberry Gaol, taken from my family. During these three months i applied for bail on a number of occasions and this was refused by numerous judges, based on the PSNI's opposition and their supposed "fear of re-offending". At the same time others were granted bail, including a number of loyalists who were released with no attached bail conditions. This was especially galling for my family and friends who had to sit through the bail applications of loyalists with far stronger evidence against them and see bail granted, then watch as my own application was refused. I was eventually granted bail in October 2012 after serving three months, all of which i served on full protest with other Republicans in Roe House.

The 2005 charges were dropped a number of weeks ago, based on lack of evidence. This justified my position that these charges were simply introduced as a "back up" - to ensure that coupled with 2012 charges i would be remanded and taken off the streets by the PSNI. Today all charges in relation to 12th July were dismissed at Belfast Magistrates Court, further vindicating my belief that these were politically motivated charges with a number of sinister objectives on behalf of the PSNI. Firstly, as a Republican Activist from Ardoyne that works hard on a number of campaigns, it was in the interests of a State Militia to remove me from the streets. Doing so, and using the word of one officer as reasonable evidence to do so, demonstrates internment by remand is a strategic policy used by the PSNI and PPS in 2013 Ireland.

Secondly, the GARC mobilisation of 2,500 Ardoyne Residents on 12th July 2012 was seen by the PSNI, and by association the State, as a demonstration by the Ardoyne community that enough was enough when it came to Sectarian Marches through our area. Imprisoning me was to be interpreted as a warning to all those in attendance that if they oppose Loyal Order parades then they too will face accusations and charges. This further demonstrates the one sided nature of Policing with regard to this issue, however the overwhelming support that I and my family have received since this ordeal began has shown that, far from scaring the Ardoyne community, it has made it more determined to oppose these parades and the attempted criminalistaion of residents that accompanies them.

Today the PSNI have been shown for what they are, a corrupt force that is there to protect the state by whatever means necessary - even if it means falsely charging and imprisoning innocent people, simply for their political beliefs. They are no different to their forerunners in the RUC in this regard and as such should continue to be rejected by Republicans and all those who state they are concerned with the protection of fundamental human rights. Those who continue to be apologists and welcome the PSNI into communities such as Ardoyne need to be challenged, but at the same time these people need to look deep inside themselves and ask are they comfortable supporting and promoting a force that has as a policy of selective internment by remand - taking fathers and mothers from their children for prolonged periods of time.It is simply not good enough to say political policing should not affect people only if they still support certain political parties. If they look hard deep enough and be honest with themselves and others, then they will cease lending credence to a police force that is as discredited as the one which they used to oppose'.

Is Mise, Alan Lundy

How come in the eyes of "dissidents" everything is Sinn Feins fault? Bail is judged on a case by case basis, can Mr Lundy show that a loyalist got bail for similar offences or is it just more conspiracy theories?
    I'd assume that it's standard fare to review archive police footage from previous disturbances to see if anyone they are presently investigating can be identified so what's shocking about that? surely it can't be healthy to be so paranoid about "the state"?

http://m.u.tv/News/Sabotage-claim-in-Carroll-killers-appeal/5e740041-30f8-4a57-a1cc-4a0a66433c78

The High Court in Belfast has heard a claim that the PSNI attempted to sabotage the appeal of two men convicted of killing one of their officers, Constable Stephen Carroll.

Brendan McConville and John Paul Wooton were found guilty last year of the murder of Constable Carroll, which happened as the officer answered a 999 call in Craigavon in March 2009. But the pair have since launched an appeal against the verdicts, which saw McConville handed a minimum of 25 years in prison and Wooton a minimum of 14 years. The defence now claim a new witness has come forward who alleges the key prosecution witness in the original trial is a compulsive liar and a 'Walter Mitty' character. There is such a high level of uncertainty as to the factual circumstances surrounding the position that we are faced with having no alternative but to adjourn this appeal. Lord Chief Justice Sir Declan Morgan With supporters of McConville and Wooton in the packed public gallery, a few feet from Constable Carroll's widow Kate, a defence QC further told the court that their new witness had been arrested by police last Thursday and held for two days. Senior judges were further told that the officers forced their way into the home of the witness and warned him that he would be discredited if he went to court. The lawyer claimed that this was an attempt by the police to sabotage the appeal by McConville, 41 and from Tullygally in Craigavon, and Wooton, 22 and from Collingdale in Lurgan. The defence confirmed that they are to lodge a complaint with the Police Ombudsman, while letters will also be sent to the Public Prosecution Service and the Law Society. The appeal has now been adjourned until October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

http://m.u.tv/News/Sabotage-claim-in-Carroll-killers-appeal/5e740041-30f8-4a57-a1cc-4a0a66433c78

The High Court in Belfast has heard a claim that the PSNI attempted to sabotage the appeal of two men convicted of killing one of their officers, Constable Stephen Carroll.

Brendan McConville and John Paul Wooton were found guilty last year of the murder of Constable Carroll, which happened as the officer answered a 999 call in Craigavon in March 2009. But the pair have since launched an appeal against the verdicts, which saw McConville handed a minimum of 25 years in prison and Wooton a minimum of 14 years. The defence now claim a new witness has come forward who alleges the key prosecution witness in the original trial is a compulsive liar and a 'Walter Mitty' character. There is such a high level of uncertainty as to the factual circumstances surrounding the position that we are faced with having no alternative but to adjourn this appeal. Lord Chief Justice Sir Declan Morgan With supporters of McConville and Wooton in the packed public gallery, a few feet from Constable Carroll's widow Kate, a defence QC further told the court that their new witness had been arrested by police last Thursday and held for two days. Senior judges were further told that the officers forced their way into the home of the witness and warned him that he would be discredited if he went to court. The lawyer claimed that this was an attempt by the police to sabotage the appeal by McConville, 41 and from Tullygally in Craigavon, and Wooton, 22 and from Collingdale in Lurgan. The defence confirmed that they are to lodge a complaint with the Police Ombudsman, while letters will also be sent to the Public Prosecution Service and the Law Society. The appeal has now been adjourned until October.

http://justiceforthecraigavontwo.com/we-are-innocent/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Boy, they are really getting desperate now lol.

gallag wrote: »
    Boy, they are really getting desperate now lol.

I was really skeptical about the whole Craigavon Two thing at first but the evidence against their convictions is really stacking up. The actions of the PSNI are also throwing them into further doubt.

The defence called into question the delay of the witness of the murder in coming forward, yet here we are a few years later and now they've found someone to discredit the prosecution witness? why the delay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

http://www.caj.org.uk/files/2012/12/05/The_Policing_you_dont_see,_November_2012.pdf

This shows the reality of the policing situation in the occupied counties.

So the 2nd man who was put in jail for the soldiers killings has been found not guilty.

That makes the 2 who were jailed for the last few years, innocent, surely the integrity of the psni has to be questioned now.

So the 2nd man who was put in jail for the soldiers killings has been found not guilty.

That makes the 2 who were jailed for the last few years, innocent, surely the integrity of the psni has to be questioned now.

It seems to bode well for the two lads from craigavon anyway

Why the PSNI? Surely the fault will lie with the Public Prosecution Service?

guttenberg wrote: »
    Why the PSNI? Surely the fault will lie with the Public Prosecution Service?

Who gathered the evidence?

But ye them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I understand why they don't have trial by jury in NI but imo this guy would have been found guilty as charged! if there had been!

Madam wrote: »
    I understand why they don't have trial by jury in NI but imo this guy would have been found guilty as charged! if there had been!

He has been found not guilty, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Madam wrote: »
    Especially when we have the PSNI threatening and intimidating witnesses for the defence and sinister interfence with ongoing court cases.

Great news today, by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Great news today, by the way.

For supporters of soldier killers maybe.

Dosen't mean he didn't do it.

What I didn't like about the Judges summation was that he felt Shivers may not have been responsible as he was engaged to a Protestant.
    This was offensive to Republicans as the insinuation was that Republicans were sectarian and unlikely to have Protestant partners.
    Utter nonsense on his part.

getzls wrote: »
    For supporters of soldier killers maybe.

Dosen't mean he didn't do it.

Well it does seems he was found not guilty. Do we just excuse sentences now and say someone is guilty even though they have been found not guilty in court?

What's the point in a justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I heard that Shivers DNA was found on matches near the burnt-out getaway car!

Is that true?

LordSutch wrote: »
    I heard that Shivers DNA was found on matches near the burnt-out getaway car!

Is that true?
    I think the DNA was shown to be unreliable, the technique used is so inaccurate it is not allowed be used as evidence worldwide, and the scientist who tries to sell it, was the only one in court swearing by it.
    Why don't you read up on it, its a simple google.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

FTA69 wrote: »
    The fact is that the security of agenda of the PSNI is controlled entirely and exclusively by MI5 who operate from a large headquarters based in Holywood, Co Down. Despite Sinn Féin's claims that they can "put manners on the PSNI" etc via the policing boards, MI5 are answerable to nobody only themselves and are clearly pursuing an agenda whereupon political activists who challenge the status quo are being removed from the streets.

Stephen Murney, an Éirigi member, was stopped and searched dozens of times in his hometown of Newry. Recently they raided his house and put him up on charges of possesion of articles relevant to terrorists. These articles include a hat and a jacket which were used in a flute band and a plastic BB gun belonging to his young son.

Rab Jackson and Padraic MacCoitir have also been lifted as a result of a sit-down protest against a sectarian parade past Ardoyne. The state is pursuing the same aggressive tactics as it always did, despite Sinn Féin's erroneous claims of reform. People shouldn't be surprised that a police force controlled and directed by MI5 isn't in the least bit impartial. At the end of the day it will act in British interests, like it always has.

Great to see Stephen acquitted of all charges today , shame he had to spend 14 months interned by the crown though !

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bobcoffee

really?
    that just insane, 14 months gone for being in a flute band.
    they really make it hard to be impartial or open minded at all.
    suppose you can see why sinn fein are supporting them, delusion of progress can be an overwhelming force.

• Advertisement
Advertisement